The Cult

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
blackcoffee

Re: The Cult

#41 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:44 am

Am seeing them tomorrow in Seattle. Saw the Choice of Weapon show last year, as well. Am looking forward to it.

Pandemonium

#42 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Pandemonium wrote:OK, for some reason, PMs don't work. Users (any users) "can't be found."
Thanks for the heads up Creep, the problem was with my browser. Once I re-installed Firefox, no problems.

blackcoffee

#43 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:04 am

The show in Seattle last night was great. Ian's voice was clear and resonant and could be heard over the music unlike last year when I saw them on the Choice of Weapon tour. He also seemed to be having a good time. Highlights included a brief tribute to Andrew Wood before Aphrodisiac Jacket. At one point in another song they melded LA Woman and American Woman into the opening of a song I cannot now remember. It was far better than expected. And my wife who is not typically a fan of going to shows absolutely loved it, which is saying something.

MYXYLPLYX

#44 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:36 am

Pandemonium wrote:
So.... any dirt? From what I've seen and heard regarding the last two shows, Ian seems to be in a ... different place this go-round.

Not much terribly interesting... apparently the injury sustained the previous night was serious enough that there was a chance the SF show could have been canceled. :confused:

During the VIP sound check Ian came out with a hoodie pulled down and sunglasses on, slowly put on his in ears while half-assing the vocals. He slowly warmed up and by the third song was almost actually trying.

My kids came to join me for dinner before doors and Ian was nice to them, for whatever that's worth? :hs: :lol:

I actually bailed before they went on stage, but I heard later that he actually ragged on fans during the show, and oddly went off on Depeche Mode for some reason?

Overall, the reviews I heard were very lackluster, lacking energy and oddly whiny... :noclue:

Pandemonium

#45 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote: I actually bailed before they went on stage, but I heard later that he actually ragged on fans during the show, and oddly went off on Depeche Mode for some reason?

Overall, the reviews I heard were very lackluster, lacking energy and oddly whiny... :noclue:
Yeah, he doesn't appear to be in top for at the SF show. A lot of clips I've seen from this week, he spends a lot of time between songs going through a binder sitting on the floor to remember lyrics for what they're going to play next. Maybe learning the tunes before the tour or just getting a old CRT teleprompter might be a good idea.:

NYRexall

#46 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:39 pm

That's pretty embarrassing, when you can't remember the words to songs you wrote and are touring in support of. Ian doesn't seem like he really wants to be there at all.

Maybe he's upset that people would rather hear his old stuff than check out his new stuff? :noclue:

blackcoffee

#47 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 pm

NYRexall wrote:That's pretty embarrassing, when you can't remember the words to songs you wrote and are touring in support of. Ian doesn't seem like he really wants to be there at all.

Maybe he's upset that people would rather hear his old stuff than check out his new stuff? :noclue:
I saw the folder he was carrying between sets. It didn't detract from the quality of the quality of the performance. I know that on occasion he lashes out at fans for not knowing new stuff, but this is a tour around Electric. He knows while people are there. He even joked at one point asking if we were enjoying the love album.

NYRexall

#48 Post by NYRexall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:58 pm

blackcoffee wrote:I know that on occasion he lashes out at fans for not knowing new stuff
Lol seriously? What a pansy.

He and Danzig should cut an album together.

Pandemonium

#49 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:47 am

NYRexall wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:I know that on occasion he lashes out at fans for not knowing new stuff
Lol seriously? What a pansy.

He and Danzig should cut an album together.
Ian's a weird guy. Some of the stuff he's said in interviews over the years just floors me. The arguments and comments he made when he was doing The Doors thing were jaw-droppingly stupid.

That said, I had a chance to talk for a few minutes to him in a quiet, informal setting back in '96 when The Cult had split up (again) and he had started his own little solo band The Holy Barbarians. They were playing one of their first shows in this absolute shithole bar in Costa Mesa called The Lava Club which was a small warehouse tucked away in the business area of the city off 19th street that had been half-ass converted to a club. There was really no stage, just the band set up in a corner of the club on the dance floor opposite the bar so there was no boundries between the band and the audience - we basically just stood a few feet back from the band to give them room to do their thing.

The show had no publicity, I heard about it only by accident and there was maybe 100 people there. I got there way too early and I think there was maybe 3 other people in the place so bored, I saddled up to the bar and had a few drinks and was thumbing through BAM magazine when an almost unrecognizable Ian sat a few seats near me and had a drink and asked me if any "new cool bands are playing around here." We talked for just a few minutes before he had to leave, mostly about Iggy Pop and Jim Morrison and he seemed to be a pretty nice, down to earth guy. That show, someone shouted "what about The Cult" and Ian replied "The Cult is dead, they're boring and pretentious" and a song later, he was doing "Wild Flower" with his cover band, lol!

NYRexall

#50 Post by NYRexall » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Ian's a weird guy. Some of the stuff he's said in interviews over the years just floors me. The arguments and comments he made when he was doing The Doors thing were jaw-droppingly stupid.
Do tell..

Pandemonium

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:14 pm

NYRexall wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: Ian's a weird guy. Some of the stuff he's said in interviews over the years just floors me. The arguments and comments he made when he was doing The Doors thing were jaw-droppingly stupid.
Do tell..
This is the only article I still have bookmarked but there's a lot more from the time he was fronting The Doors:

http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?showtopic=4068

NYRexall

#52 Post by NYRexall » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
This is the only article I still have bookmarked but there's a lot more from the time he was fronting The Doors:

http://forum.johndensmore.com/index.php?showtopic=4068
Dude, that interview is great. Ian makes for great copy. What a dick! :lol:

Did he honestly believe that Trent Reznor or Dave Grohl or Eddie Vedder would stoop to performing for some Doors-rehash? Didn't the guy from that 90s frat-rock band 'Fuel' also sing for the Doors for awhile?

Dude's sense of rockstar self-importance is legendary. He makes it sound like that Doors gig was something to be proud of. I remember being embarrassed for him when I heard the news :noclue:

Ian, Perry, Danzig and Billy Corgan should do a "Monster Egos of Rock" festival sometime. You wouldn't be able to fit them all in the same venue, let alone the same room.

Pandemonium

#53 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:20 pm

NYRexall

#54 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:12 am

Did that CD I mailed to you get there yet?

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 am

NYRexall wrote:Did that CD I mailed to you get there yet?
Not yet. Stuff from Japan not sent via EMS usually takes about 2 weeks.

NYRexall

#56 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Ha, figures.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm

NYRexall wrote:
Ian, Perry, Danzig and Billy Corgan should do a "Monster Egos of Rock" festival sometime. You wouldn't be able to fit them all in the same venue, let alone the same room.
I think Danzig is an asshole...but his ego is pretty justified, as far as I'm concerned. His work from from 1977 to 1994 is absolutely perfect; there's really nothing to scoff at. It wasn't until Blackacidevil that the cracks started to show...but that was after about 10 albums of some of the greatest punk, death rock, and metal ever made. His work has been patchy ever since...but his last album (Deth Red Sabaoth) is the best since 4P. The "Lost Tracks" album also has some amazing gems. I give Glenn credit...he has always kept his word (with regard to releases), always did things his way (for better or worse), and never sold out to any great degree; I think he's kept it pretty real.

Billy's made some crap; namely, Zeitgeist and some of his solo album...but overall, I think he's a musical genius, so his ego is warranted. He's the kind of guy who writes numerous songs every single day (like Neil Young).

Ian and Perry are way past their prime douches who collaborated with the right people at the right time.

NYRexall

#58 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Perry and Ian should do an Egopolooza festival sometime. You wouldn't be able to fit both of them in the same venue, let alone fill it with people interested.

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:22 pm

NYRexall wrote:Perry and Ian should do an Egopolooza festival sometime. You wouldn't be able to fit both of them in the same venue, let alone fill it with people interested.
You know Ian thinks Perry stole the whole (Lollapalooza) touring festival idea away from him after Ian organized the Gathering Of The Tribes thing in 1990 (which was a pretty decent lineup - The Cramps and Iggy Pop at the same show?!?).

NYRexall

#60 Post by NYRexall » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:55 am

Ian's alright. His band can still draw a respectable crowd, at least.

kv

#61 Post by kv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:55 am

Pandemonium wrote:
NYRexall wrote:Perry and Ian should do an Egopolooza festival sometime. You wouldn't be able to fit both of them in the same venue, let alone fill it with people interested.
You know Ian thinks Perry stole the whole (Lollapalooza) touring festival idea away from him after Ian organized the Gathering Of The Tribes thing in 1990 (which was a pretty decent lineup - The Cramps and Iggy Pop at the same show?!?).
mainly because perry prob did

Pandemonium

#62 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:32 am

Pretty stoked I managed to score a GA Pit ticket last night when Ticketmaster released a few remaining tickets for the upcoming LA Wiltern show. Plus, they added The Icarus Line as an opening band along with White Hills (never heard of 'em) so I'm in.

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Pretty stoked I managed to score a GA Pit ticket last night when Ticketmaster released a few remaining tickets for the upcoming LA Wiltern show. Plus, they added The Icarus Line as an opening band along with White Hills (never heard of 'em) so I'm in.
Aww fuck, I just got an e-mail from Ticketbastard that Icarus Line is out of the lineup.

Pandemonium

#64 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:33 am

Saw The Cult tonight at The Wiltern in LA. Much better than last year's Hollywood Palladium show.

I had landed a GA pit ticket in the Ticketmaster release a couple weeks ago and got to the show about 15 minutes before opening band White Hills came on. The pit was pretty sparse and I could go right up to the rail just off to the side and catch their set. White Hills, a three piece, started off really promising, a decent mix of Led Zeppelin and Sonic Youth. The blond on bass was really easy on the eyes. But by about the 4th song, their long, mostly instrumental stoner rock started to wear thin and a few songs later, I was off to the bar.

The Cult came on about 9:45 and played the "Electric" album straight through, only subbing the great B-side cut "Zap City" in place of the (terrible) cover of "Born To Be Wild" which was on the album. They took about a 10 minute break while a dumb video clip played on the projection screen (it included clips from "Conan The Barbarian"...wtf?!?). They came back and played a respectable 2nd set and encore which as far as I know, was the standard set they've been playing this tour.

Good points - a lot of deeper cuts from the Electric album that I've never heard live before, played fairly faithfully. Also, songs that get regular air time most tours like Nirvana, The Phoenix, Rise and Spiritwalker sounded great. The big "hits" like Love Removal Machine and She Sells Sanctuary not played as encore closers as usual is a nice twist although closing with "Sun King" wasn't a perfect alternative.

The band, especially Billy Duffy was solid. No Billy vs guitar tech issues tonight and he seemed pretty happy the entire show. The only song I think really lost the audience was "Embers." The new 2nd guitarist has a pretty easy job from a musicians' standpoint, as anyone who knows The Cult's catalog can attest. I will say he looked uncomfortably like a well dressed Michael Douglas. Ian Astbury sang significantly better than last year's show although he had his downside as mentioned below. Late in the set, Ian tossed a tambourine right to an older guy dead center in the pit who was clearly having a great time rocking out and putting most of the younger fucks to shame.

Bad Points - Mostly Ian's more or less disconnected stage presence. Through the Electric set, he barely addressed the audience and when he did, it was often in a condescending manner. Frankly, he looked bored at times and really didn't seemed fully engaged until the last half dozen songs. Late in the show, he began whining about the audience, often telling them they "need to work, work for it," I guess because the place wasn't going nuts after every song. For the most part, the crowd was pretty into it, especially during much of the 2nd set and encore. It's getting old hearing Astbury bitch about crowd participation when he's the guy onstage who should be getting the (paying) audience into the show.

Setlist:

Wild Flower
Peace Dog
Lil' Devil
Aphrodisiac Jacket
Electric Ocean
Bad Fun
King Contrary Man
Love Removal Machine
Zap City
Outlaw
Memphis Hip Shake
*break*
Rain
Honey From a Knife
Sweet Soul Sister
Lucifer
Embers
The Phoenix
Rise
She Sells Sanctuary
Encore:
Spiritwalker
Nirvana
Sun King

Pandemonium

#65 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 pm

This is a great pairing. I'm kinda burnt on The Cult but I'll happily see Primal Scream again. Will definitely catch the Palladium show in Hollywood. These are *some* of the dates - there's some others not yet listed on TM/LN in places like Houston for late Oct: