The Cult

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: The Cult

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm

NYRexall wrote:Blasphemous whore! It's THE ICARUS LINE. You have no idea what you missed out on. That band is to LA today what Jane's was 25 years ago. I'm not making this up; lots of other people are saying the same things in print.
Now you've done it. I'm unfriending your twitter off my spaceface page.... or something.

I probably was think of another band, October File or something and brain farted. I did pick up their older album "Penance Soiree" a while back and really like the Stooges meets Secret Machines vibe they have. I guess they have a new album coming out any time now, hopefully they'll play clubs on their own instead of opening for someone else.

NYRexall wrote:
A guy I'm working with is a diehard Cult fan. He has pretty much every recording they've ever committed to tape. Last week in Sydney we saw posters down every side street and back alley for their Australian Electric '13 shows later this year. I saw them a few times in 2008. They still got it. Choice of Weapon was WAY better than the last Jane's album, too.
That funny, a lot of people who are really into The Cult think Choice Of Weapon is the best album they've done in a long time but I much prefer the previous one "Born Into This" and even the EP songs they released between those two albums.

NYRexall

#22 Post by NYRexall » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Now you've done it. I'm unfriending your twitter off my spaceface page.... or something.

I probably was think of another band, October File or something and brain farted. I did pick up their older album "Penance Soiree" a while back and really like the Stooges meets Secret Machines vibe they have. I guess they have a new album coming out any time now, hopefully they'll play clubs on their own instead of opening for someone else.
Their new one is called Slave Vows. It's badass and loud as hell. Penance Soiree is an unsung classic; their record label gave it no promotion whatsoever and delayed it for a year. Aaron North was much better suited to that band than Nails.

If you like The Stooges/Secret Machines vibe, and want to hear what it would sound like with better song structures and more melody, their follow-up 'Black Lives at the Golden Coast' is the way to go.

Great bio for that album here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Live ... lden_Coast
That funny, a lot of people who are really into The Cult think Choice Of Weapon is the best album they've done in a long time but I much prefer the previous one "Born Into This" and even the EP songs they released between those two albums.
Born Into This was enjoyable; I love love love that 'Citizens' song. Of course, they never played it during the times I saw them tour that album. I still think their '94 self-titled album is my favorite. Don't hang me in the street, please.

My Cult-obsessed buddy says that Itunes-only 'Weapon of Choice' album they had up for two months only last year is supposedly better than the COW album they went with. A bunch of outtakes and alternate recordings, I think.

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 pm

NYRexall wrote:Born Into This was enjoyable; I love love love that 'Citizens' song. Of course, they never played it during the times I saw them tour that album. I still think their '94 self-titled album is my favorite. Don't hang me in the street, please.

My Cult-obsessed buddy says that Itunes-only 'Weapon of Choice' album they had up for two months only last year is supposedly better than the COW album they went with. A bunch of outtakes and alternate recordings, I think.
WOC is the Chris Goss-produced versions of the album before the band's label brought in Bob Rock to polish the album up and help the band get over the creative roadblock they were supposedly stuck in while recording the album. I blew it on that iTunes exclusive holding out for some sort of physical release, forgot about it and then it was gone. And yeah, from what I've read and the few samples I originally heard, many of the songs are less bombastic Billy Duffy Rawk and are somewhere between polished demos and actual finished alternate versions.

I too like the '94 album. Sacred Life, Star (although it's very close to a rip-off of U2's "The Fly") and Coming Down are lost gems. The show I saw that tour at the Hollywood Palladium it was pretty obvious the band was not long for the world.

NYRexall

#24 Post by NYRexall » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 pm

'Coming Down' is great. I've liked that song since that album was released and the video was on 120 Minutes late one night. I played it for a buddy of mine once. He said it sounded like Danzig fronting Achtung Baby-era U2. I never looked at it that way but I guess I can see his point :noclue:

That 'Naturally High' song is a banger, too. I think 'The Witch' should have been on that album somewhere as well. Great stuff.

I have that Weapon of Choice Itunes album. It's on my computer in Japan though, not with me now. I can upload it for you when I get back if you want. It's in 320kbps audio, I think

NYRexall

#25 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 am

Oh, and

Now that I think about it...I lied. I always, for whatever reason, say that self-titled is my favorite Cult album.

And then I remember...these are the guys responsible for 'Love'. That's my favorite Cult album, no question. Rain, Nirvana, Big Neon Glitter; those songs never age a day to me.

Pandemonium

#26 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:32 am

Guess at last night's Anaheim show Ian missed a offstage tambourine toss from a roadie and got clocked on the head.

NYRexall

#27 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:22 pm

That was one hell of a tambourine toss, from the looks of it. Maybe it was adrenaline that caused him to bleed like that :noclue:

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 pm

NYRexall wrote:I have that Weapon of Choice Itunes album. It's on my computer in Japan though, not with me now. I can upload it for you when I get back if you want. It's in 320kbps audio, I think
Hey thanks man, I'd appreciate that. I dunno if you're interested, but I have both the 5 disc 1984 - 1994 demos box set and the 7 disc "Rare Cult" box I could send your way in some fashion as well.

NYRexall

#29 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Hmm

I'm fairly certain I have the demos box set already; I'd have to check. That Rare Cult box set is sort of a holy grail item, isn't it? Near impossible to find and fetching a princely sum when available?

Cult guy I work with might have it already, which would save you the trouble of uploading it. I did not expect anything in return for a WOC upload. Hell, if there is any other rare Cult stuff you want, I can see if he has it. I know the guy's pretty much got everything of theirs.

Oddly enough, until I gave it to him, he didn't even know WOC existed :scared:

NYRexall

#30 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Just did a rudimentary Ebay search for Rare Cult box set. There is one for $199 OBO listed. That 5-disc demos box goes for $400!

Pandemonium

#31 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:35 pm

NYRexall wrote:Just did a rudimentary Ebay search for Rare Cult box set. There is one for $199 OBO listed. That 5-disc demos box goes for $400!
Yeah, that Demos box is worth some decent coin. It's got a lot of meandering not-even-demo stuff on it though - a lot of boring tracks of the band just loosely jamming out ideas through the years that go nowhere. The Rare Cult box is much better.

BTW, here where Ian got that gash. At about the 3:50 mark in this clip, someone offstage is throwing tambourines to Ian after he gave the one he was using to someone up front in the audience. He keeps deflecting the tosses until he head butts the third one. Not too smart:

MYXYLPLYX

#32 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:37 pm

intertwoven

#33 Post by intertwoven » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Downloaded the Rare Cult and Demo box sets off what.cd during a freeleach a year or so ago.. still going through them. Some good stuff on there.

Favorite Cult album is probably Sonic Temple, but I might be in the minority on that.

NYRexall

#34 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm

What do you guys think of Beyond Good and Evil?

I thought that one was pretty decent, despite being a bit overproduced at times. 'Rise' is probably one of my favorite Cult singles and I am glad to see they still play it live. It sounded massive when I saw them in '08.

Nico, Ashes and Ghosts, True Believers and the first track on the album are bangers, too.

Pandemonium

#35 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 am

NYRexall wrote:What do you guys think of Beyond Good and Evil?

I thought that one was pretty decent, despite being a bit overproduced at times. 'Rise' is probably one of my favorite Cult singles and I am glad to see they still play it live. It sounded massive when I saw them in '08.

Nico, Ashes and Ghosts, True Believers and the first track on the album are bangers, too.
Regarding Sonic Temple, I like about 1/2 of the songs off that one. Soldier Blue and Soul Asylum being up there. I really don't like Fire Woman - that's a beer/piss break song if they play it. There's a couple B-sides from the singles from that album that I really like - The River and Bleeding Heart Graffiti. Beyond Good And Evil I really liked when it first came out but for some reason it hasn't aged well for me however Rise and especially Take The Power are just massive tunes. The one album which is generally regarded as their weakest is "Ceremony" but even that one has a few gems such as "White" and "Heart Of Soul." The bland rock production sinks that one more than anything else.

They've had some mis-steps though, they did a cover of "Faith Healer" originally by The Alex Harvey Band that is just embarrassingly bad.

Pandemonium

#36 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:Image
So.... any dirt? From what I've seen and heard regarding the last two shows, Ian seems to be in a ... different place this go-round.

NYRexall

#37 Post by NYRexall » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Pando, you wouldn't happen to have the unmastered version of Beyond Good and Evil that was leaked prior to the official album, would you?

Cult guy I work with has the 320kbps audio files of WOC I gave him on his portable hard drive here in the outback. But we can't be uploading/downloading stuff on our company laptops.

If you'd rather, I can burn it to a CD and mail it out to you. Shouldn't take more than a week to get to California from here; I can put it in our outgoing mail later this evening or tomorrow morning. PM me if you are interested..

Pandemonium

#38 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:19 pm

NYRexall wrote:Pando, you wouldn't happen to have the unmastered version of Beyond Good and Evil that was leaked prior to the official album, would you?

Cult guy I work with has the 320kbps audio files of WOC I gave him on his portable hard drive here in the outback. But we can't be uploading/downloading stuff on our company laptops.

If you'd rather, I can burn it to a CD and mail it out to you. Shouldn't take more than a week to get to California from here; I can put it in our outgoing mail later this evening or tomorrow morning. PM me if you are interested..
I'll PM on the WOC disc.

Regarding the unmastered BGAE disc(s), no I don't have them, they're pretty much the holy grail for Cult fans. There's actually two that I know of, one is the demos called "Unmixed, Unmastered, Unsequenced" and another one is the early mixes of the final tracks called "Masterpiece." They are so rare, I've never even found these titles on any torrent site.

Pandemonium

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:27 pm

OK, for some reason, PMs don't work. Users (any users) "can't be found."

clickie

#40 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 am

Looks like the tamborine hit him so hard it turned him into the michael patton.

blackcoffee

#41 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:44 am

Am seeing them tomorrow in Seattle. Saw the Choice of Weapon show last year, as well. Am looking forward to it.

Pandemonium

#42 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Pandemonium wrote:OK, for some reason, PMs don't work. Users (any users) "can't be found."
Thanks for the heads up Creep, the problem was with my browser. Once I re-installed Firefox, no problems.

blackcoffee

#43 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:04 am

The show in Seattle last night was great. Ian's voice was clear and resonant and could be heard over the music unlike last year when I saw them on the Choice of Weapon tour. He also seemed to be having a good time. Highlights included a brief tribute to Andrew Wood before Aphrodisiac Jacket. At one point in another song they melded LA Woman and American Woman into the opening of a song I cannot now remember. It was far better than expected. And my wife who is not typically a fan of going to shows absolutely loved it, which is saying something.

MYXYLPLYX

#44 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:36 am

Pandemonium wrote:
So.... any dirt? From what I've seen and heard regarding the last two shows, Ian seems to be in a ... different place this go-round.

Not much terribly interesting... apparently the injury sustained the previous night was serious enough that there was a chance the SF show could have been canceled. :confused:

During the VIP sound check Ian came out with a hoodie pulled down and sunglasses on, slowly put on his in ears while half-assing the vocals. He slowly warmed up and by the third song was almost actually trying.

My kids came to join me for dinner before doors and Ian was nice to them, for whatever that's worth? :hs: :lol:

I actually bailed before they went on stage, but I heard later that he actually ragged on fans during the show, and oddly went off on Depeche Mode for some reason?

Overall, the reviews I heard were very lackluster, lacking energy and oddly whiny... :noclue:

Pandemonium

#45 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote: I actually bailed before they went on stage, but I heard later that he actually ragged on fans during the show, and oddly went off on Depeche Mode for some reason?

Overall, the reviews I heard were very lackluster, lacking energy and oddly whiny... :noclue:
Yeah, he doesn't appear to be in top for at the SF show. A lot of clips I've seen from this week, he spends a lot of time between songs going through a binder sitting on the floor to remember lyrics for what they're going to play next. Maybe learning the tunes before the tour or just getting a old CRT teleprompter might be a good idea.: