The Cult

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

The Cult

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:00 pm

So on a last minute whim, I went to the Hollywood Palladium Saturday night and saw The Cult for like the 12th time dating back to the Love tour also at the Palladium in '86. Went more just to go out and see some live music than anything else as I'm not a big fan of The Cult's newest album and I've burned out on them years ago.

Although I got in too late to catch the opening band which I guess was The Icarus File, I was very surprised how good 2nd support band "Against Me" was. Pretty much off my radar but a really high energy band, kinda pop punk. The entire hour plus set, they genuinely seemed happy to be playing to the crowd and the audience was very enthusiastic. Drummer who came off as a wild Keith Moon turned out to be Jay Weinberg, Springsteen's drummer's son. Also put the dots together after the show that this is the singer who's announced a few months ago that he's a transgender turning himself into a chick. Whatever. The band rocks.

I will say The Cult still draws a pretty interesting mix of people to their shows. Lots of old school punks, Goths, baby boomers, drunk, white trash knuckleheads, etc along with lots of younger high school and college kids who weren't even born when "She Sells Sanctuary" was released. They bring in a *lot* of decent looking women of all ages too.

Cult came on around 10:30 and I have to say, put on a pretty routine, by-the-numbers set running only about 15 songs. The fairly packed Palladium crowd was into the set to their credit, but it never came close to the kind of crazy, rowdy level the '86 or even the '95 shows I saw there did. Basically played the 3 - 4 big singles from the Love and Electric albums along with one cut each from Sonic Temple and beyond Good and Evil lps and maybe 4 cuts from the new album. The real high point of the show was impressive performances of Spirit Walker and Horse Nation from the Dreamtime lp in the encore.

Wasn't too impressed with the near overdriven, muddy sound way up front, which is typical for the Palladium. The best place to hear was back off to either side on the floor. Nor did Ian Astbury's vox do much for me. Like many veteran singers these days, he's lost much of his former power in his singing and now gets easily winded and resorts to short, clipped bursts instead of singing as in the past. Billy Duffy is still the most poseriffic guitarist of any rock band I can think of, mimicking the Sonic Temple album cover when striking the signature notes for "Fire Woman." Kind of sad to hear Ian say they're only going to play just a few new songs so (impatient) people could get to hear the hits like he realizes the past is all that sells tickets anymore.

All in all, not the best show I've seen these guys put on.

clickie

Re: The Cult

#2 Post by clickie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:29 am

nice review brotherman :rockon:
was the crowd into it or what?

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am

clickie wrote:nice review brotherman :rockon:
was the crowd into it or what?
Historically, Palladium shows get the best, most enthusiastic LA area crowds of just about any area venue regardless of the band. Over the decades, I saw some truly epic shows there - The Clash, Janes, The Cramps, Nine Inch Nails, Iggy Pop/Social Distortion, etc... even shows by bands you wouldn't expect craziness like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Big Country and Living Colour. When I saw The Cult there in '86, Ian had his leg in a cast, they were playing a couple very early versions of "Love Removal Machine" and Electric Ocean" well before the next album was recorded so the show was mostly songs off the "Love" album and the place was just insane. The entire floor crowd would push and move side to side and jump during every fast song - it was probably the closest thing to being in the pit of a South American stadium show I can think of.

For Saturday's show the crowd was really into The Cult's set but would settle down a bit whenever they played something not off of "Love" or "Electric." I never really felt things would get out of control, there certainly wasn't any mosh pit.

BTW, the rumor is in early 2013, they're going to do a "Electric" anniversary tour playing that album top to bottom much like they did a few years ago for the "Love" album.

Pillar Girl

#4 Post by Pillar Girl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:09 pm

the cult has always drawn various crowds, sorta similar to Janes, much crossover in styles.

i missed them in 86' due to work, but i was able to catch them in 89' opening for Metallica, Ian trashed
the set after a few songs since the crowd wasnt into it, then caught them in 1990 for the Sonic Temple
tour, the venue was pretty small actually, like 3,000 people. they seem to play better in smaller clubs,
or at least their sound travels better than stadiums.

but my best show ive seen of them was from 1999 in Portland,Or. another small venue, like 2,000 people,
they were on top of their game that night.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Historically, Palladium shows get the best, most enthusiastic LA area crowds of just about any area venue regardless of the band. Over the decades, I saw some truly epic shows there.
so true always huge energy from the crowd there for whatever reason...just a cool place...then again no place in town is like the palladium anymore just a huge wood floor

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 pm

kv wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: Historically, Palladium shows get the best, most enthusiastic LA area crowds of just about any area venue regardless of the band. Over the decades, I saw some truly epic shows there.
so true always huge energy from the crowd there for whatever reason...just a cool place...then again no place in town is like the palladium anymore just a huge wood floor
Once The Wiltern Theater was remodeled around 2000, they kind of stole much of the Palladium's thunder and business. Once The Rolling Stones played The Wiltern in '02, it was like the seal of approval and *every* band had to play there when doing 2k size audiences in LA. Then I think the Palladium kind of shut down for a few years until someone bought it and cleaned it up (a bit) about 6 years ago. I kind of prefer The Wiltern because it has better sound and better bars but there's no denying The Palladium has a very cool vibe and no doubt because it's more open, creates a lot more energy for live shows.

Romeo

#7 Post by Romeo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:41 am

A few years ago I saw the cult at Irving plaza. Show was high energy UNTIL Ian decided in the middle of the show to show a short art film on wind. Kind of like the plastic bag scene in American Beauty :confused:
took the wind out of the sails of the rest of the show (pun intended)

blackcoffee

#8 Post by blackcoffee » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Pandemonium wrote:So on a last minute whim, I went to the Hollywood Palladium Saturday night and saw The Cult for like the 12th time dating back to the Love tour also at the Palladium in '86. Went more just to go out and see some live music than anything else as I'm not a big fan of The Cult's newest album and I've burned out on them years ago.

Although I got in too late to catch the opening band which I guess was The Icarus File, I was very surprised how good 2nd support band "Against Me" was. Pretty much off my radar but a really high energy band, kinda pop punk. The entire hour plus set, they genuinely seemed happy to be playing to the crowd and the audience was very enthusiastic. Drummer who came off as a wild Keith Moon turned out to be Jay Weinberg, Springsteen's drummer's son. Also put the dots together after the show that this is the singer who's announced a few months ago that he's a transgender turning himself into a chick. Whatever. The band rocks.

I will say The Cult still draws a pretty interesting mix of people to their shows. Lots of old school punks, Goths, baby boomers, drunk, white trash knuckleheads, etc along with lots of younger high school and college kids who weren't even born when "She Sells Sanctuary" was released. They bring in a *lot* of decent looking women of all ages too.

Cult came on around 10:30 and I have to say, put on a pretty routine, by-the-numbers set running only about 15 songs. The fairly packed Palladium crowd was into the set to their credit, but it never came close to the kind of crazy, rowdy level the '86 or even the '95 shows I saw there did. Basically played the 3 - 4 big singles from the Love and Electric albums along with one cut each from Sonic Temple and beyond Good and Evil lps and maybe 4 cuts from the new album. The real high point of the show was impressive performances of Spirit Walker and Horse Nation from the Dreamtime lp in the encore.

Wasn't too impressed with the near overdriven, muddy sound way up front, which is typical for the Palladium. The best place to hear was back off to either side on the floor. Nor did Ian Astbury's vox do much for me. Like many veteran singers these days, he's lost much of his former power in his singing and now gets easily winded and resorts to short, clipped bursts instead of singing as in the past. Billy Duffy is still the most poseriffic guitarist of any rock band I can think of, mimicking the Sonic Temple album cover when striking the signature notes for "Fire Woman." Kind of sad to hear Ian say they're only going to play just a few new songs so (impatient) people could get to hear the hits like he realizes the past is all that sells tickets anymore.

All in all, not the best show I've seen these guys put on.
I saw the Cult in what must have been '85 touring for the Love album at SDSU amphitheater. He had a broken leg as a result of a drunken incident the night before, but it was a high point for me in seeing a concert. One of my first and holds special memories. Last night I was listening to their track, Nirvana, and while cleaning up the kitchen, and decided to see what they're up to. Turns out they're playing in Seattle on Tuesday. I'm definitely going to go, and will bring along three gorgeous women to boot (one of whom is my lovely wife :love: )

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:02 pm

blackcoffee wrote:I saw the Cult in what must have been '85 touring for the Love album at SDSU amphitheater. He had a broken leg as a result of a drunken incident the night before, but it was a high point for me in seeing a concert. One of my first and holds special memories. Last night I was listening to their track, Nirvana, and while cleaning up the kitchen, and decided to see what they're up to. Turns out they're playing in Seattle on Tuesday. I'm definitely going to go, and will bring along three gorgeous women to boot (one of whom is my lovely wife :love: )
I'm pretty sure that was April '86 as the Palladium show I saw during the Love tour Ian had his leg in a cast and I believe the San Diego show you mention was only a day before or after the LA show. That Palladium show was one of the wilder shows I've ever seen there, the entire floor was jumping and pushing left to right the entire show. The other cool thing about that show was they played very early embryonic versions of Electric Ocean and Love Removal Machine early in the set much like these versions below from around the same time:

phenobarb_bambalam

#10 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Billy Duffy is still the most poseriffic guitarist of any rock band I can think of
So true, though he's second on my list—to Mike McCready...

Interesting review. I gave up on them in the mid-90s, but trundled along to the 'Love' tour they did a few years ago and was very pleasantly surprised by how good they were. The twat Astbury had ballooned, but still had the pipes. I've been wanting to see them again since, but have missed out for one reason or another...this takes away from feeling that I've missed out.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: Billy Duffy is still the most poseriffic guitarist of any rock band I can think of
So true, though he's second on my list—to Mike McCready...

Interesting review. I gave up on them in the mid-90s, but trundled along to the 'Love' tour they did a few years ago and was very pleasantly surprised by how good they were. The twat Astbury had ballooned, but still had the pipes. I've been wanting to see them again since, but have missed out for one reason or another...this takes away from feeling that I've missed out.
I really wish I'd caught the Love album tour a few years ago. I had a ticket for the LA show and came down with horrible stomach flu the day before and was just too fried to make the show the next night.

Like I've said, they're usually pretty dependable in putting on a solid show and for a long-established rawk band, they still consistently draw a pretty enthusiastic audience. I think the Palladium show was sub-par for two reasons, one being they're playing under 90 minutes this tour and I think they just had an off night that show. I really hope they do another deep cuts tour like they did in 2002 where they played songs like Zap City, Star, Gone, Ashes And Ghosts and Moya.

Ian's a bit of an odd egg. He's always projected a obnoxious rock star persona onstage and in most interviews but when I actually had a chance to talk with him few a few minutes sitting at the bar early in the evening in a tiny shithole club in '96-ish his solo band Holy Barbarians were playing in later that night, he was a really nice, seemingly genuine guy.

chaos

#12 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:50 pm

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Killing Joke thread.

From an interview with Ian Astbury:

http://musicnerd.ca/the-cult-return-fro ... ilderness/
There has been a lot of press about your UK tour with Killing Joke and rather nasty tirade that was supposedly attributed to Killing Joke front man Jaz Coleman. What exactly happened?

Astbury: We made a decision to try to let everything settle before we say what we want to say. We simply decided to sit back for now. Apparently, the webmaster from Killing Joke’s website wrote the statement on their behalf; the band immediately issued an apology. Jaz wasn’t even in the country when all of this went down. But the fact of the matter is as people are taking sides, nobody cares about Jaz Coleman and nobody cares about Ian Astbury. It is easy to get caught up in the triviality of it all. For now, I will tell you that we’ve given Killing Joke the opportunity to get their house in order. I have friends that are friends with Jaz and so I felt it was right to offer a little cultural diplomacy.

blackcoffee

#13 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 am

Saw them play in Seattle last night. We arrived just as they were taking the stage and were at the back, which put us about 20 people from the front of the stage. I guy strolled up and stood in front of us with a fucking bag of popcorn. There was a group front and center who were dancing to Li'l Devil and I grabbed my wife's hand and had her grab the two other friends with us and we snake our way to the front. And that's when I discovered that the core group of rowdier, dancing Cult fans were also a group of Bears i.e. big, hairy gay guys. So, Pandemonium, you're absolutely right. The Cult draw an interesting crowd. I was happy to be next to the only people who seemed to be having a good time.

Ian apologized for a head cold, acknowledge his family was in the house, made a brief random rant about guys with stripper poles in their homes and rolex watches, but proceeded to put on a good show. Billy seemed to be really intent and focused the entire show. It was a lot of fun. I'm liking the new songs, and I'd pay to see them again in a small venue.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 am

chaos wrote:I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Killing Joke thread.

From an interview with Ian Astbury:

http://musicnerd.ca/the-cult-return-fro ... ilderness/
There has been a lot of press about your UK tour with Killing Joke and rather nasty tirade that was supposedly attributed to Killing Joke front man Jaz Coleman. What exactly happened?

Astbury: We made a decision to try to let everything settle before we say what we want to say. We simply decided to sit back for now. Apparently, the webmaster from Killing Joke’s website wrote the statement on their behalf; the band immediately issued an apology. Jaz wasn’t even in the country when all of this went down. But the fact of the matter is as people are taking sides, nobody cares about Jaz Coleman and nobody cares about Ian Astbury. It is easy to get caught up in the triviality of it all. For now, I will tell you that we’ve given Killing Joke the opportunity to get their house in order. I have friends that are friends with Jaz and so I felt it was right to offer a little cultural diplomacy.
So there's still really no definitive word that Killing Joke are off the tour. Not to mention, Ian doesn't seem to know fully how Jaz's "rant" got put out there or he's just being really diplomatic about the whole thing. As for giving Killing Joke time to get their "house in order," good luck with that, we fans have been waiting for that to happen for years.

mockbee

#15 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Yeah, that's a crazy diplomatic conciliatory statement by Astbury...wow. I would be so pissed if I were him. Maybe he adores Jaz/KJ or something...........

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 pm

mockbee wrote:Yeah, that's a crazy diplomatic conciliatory statement by Astbury...wow. I would be so pissed if I were him. Maybe he adores Jaz/KJ or something...........
Well, the "mutual friend" between the two camps is Youth, KJ's bassist/producer who also produced The Cult's "Born Into This" album in 2007. It's pretty remarkable how poorly Jaz/Killing Joke has handled this. Basically the line is now, "some fan lied and posted this bit on his Facebook page (complete with photos at the studio) about how Jaz told him to post a rant about how he hates The Cult and backed KJ out of the tour without the rest of the bands knowledge while Jaz was really in the Sahara working on solo projects... but now we really can't commit to the tour for... some reason." It's even gotten to the point the fan's personal Facebook page is gone and he isn't posting on the KJ mailing list.

Then you have this incredibly arrogant "official statement" from the band that doesn't really say definitively whether they're off the tour or not as well as addressing other recent issues like the long-delayed live set:

++++++++++

"Okay. So let's get some stuff straight so we can all get on with whatever it is we all do.

This whole tour situation has left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth and we can only apologise to anyone who bought tickets specifically to see us. We are working on a way of making sure we make it up to all of you so please keep your ticket Stubbs for the dates and we will do out best to make amends.

Part of what makes this band what it is is the chaos that surrounds us all and we are unpredictable at best. If you understand our band you will also understand that the recent comings and goings are just another day in the Chaos Office. That said people parting with hard earned and not getting to see us is shitty and like I say we will make amends.

PLEDGE

The live album in all it's guises has now been delivered to everyone (the last 30 were just sent) and as normal there were some issues. However, Pledge is not Amazon or HMV it's not instant gratification. It is a way for bands like Ours to make one off special items that in this day and age don't have the commercial value or are relatively low print run enough that selling through 3rd party retailers would not really allow (rough trade and amoeba aside).

So when you order through Pledge your paying for the creation as well as for the product. This it can take a while to get delivered as in most cases it's not in existence when you order. The reason we printed everyone's names who bought one in the inside is that they all made the record as much as we did. Sadly however pressing plants etc just fucked us around for a very long time and your shit got delayed....... Now it's there most people seem to dig it though.

Things like the DUB album that Youth has as put together and Jaz's autobiography and symphony probably wouldn't come to light without using Pledge or a Similar system so if your into what we do and
You don't mind a Few months wait for unique things we do buy em, if it's too much of a
Pain in the ass for you to wait, don't buy because there ain't anything we can do about it.

Metropolis

These shows were set up by an old colleague of the band whom simply put puts on tiny shows at a high ticket price throws in booze and grub etc and a bunch of other stuff and films it and sells it to TV companies etc. we agreed to do it simply to do some Rehersals prior to the Cult tour. The shows would have paid for our Rehersals/flights etc and would have served as warm ups. When the Cult tour was obviously getting on shaky ground we pulled these two shows. Not ago against the idea in principle and if you can afford the ticket the experience is a good un regardless who your going to see. But we are not doing them so It doesn't matter.

I know there will be the inevitable round of complaints and incredulity attached to this post but all we can do is tell you as the cards fall.

We are what we are and that probably explains why we never became Rich and famous eh?!

Take it or leave it that's where we are at.

KJ 2012"

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 am

So The Cult started their "Electric" album tour yesterday in San Diego at the House of Blues and they're playing that entire album (except their lame cover of Born To Be Wild) and including their rarely played B-Side "Zap City" and a bunch of other tunes. I'm gonna try to catch them tonight in Anaheim:

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 am

i like when bands to the whole album thing. i wish some band we all used to like would try that. unfortunately it would probably be tgea. faith no more did king for a day in chile i think. that would be great to see.

MYXYLPLYX

#19 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:28 am

:wave:

I'll be working their local gig tomorrow.

NYRexall

#20 Post by NYRexall » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Although I got in too late to catch the opening band which I guess was The Icarus File,
Blasphemous whore! It's THE ICARUS LINE. You have no idea what you missed out on. That band is to LA today what Jane's was 25 years ago. I'm not making this up; lots of other people are saying the same things in print.

A guy I'm working with is a diehard Cult fan. He has pretty much every recording they've ever committed to tape. Last week in Sydney we saw posters down every side street and back alley for their Australian Electric '13 shows later this year. I saw them a few times in 2008. They still got it. Choice of Weapon was WAY better than the last Jane's album, too.

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm

NYRexall wrote:Blasphemous whore! It's THE ICARUS LINE. You have no idea what you missed out on. That band is to LA today what Jane's was 25 years ago. I'm not making this up; lots of other people are saying the same things in print.
Now you've done it. I'm unfriending your twitter off my spaceface page.... or something.

I probably was think of another band, October File or something and brain farted. I did pick up their older album "Penance Soiree" a while back and really like the Stooges meets Secret Machines vibe they have. I guess they have a new album coming out any time now, hopefully they'll play clubs on their own instead of opening for someone else.

NYRexall wrote:
A guy I'm working with is a diehard Cult fan. He has pretty much every recording they've ever committed to tape. Last week in Sydney we saw posters down every side street and back alley for their Australian Electric '13 shows later this year. I saw them a few times in 2008. They still got it. Choice of Weapon was WAY better than the last Jane's album, too.
That funny, a lot of people who are really into The Cult think Choice Of Weapon is the best album they've done in a long time but I much prefer the previous one "Born Into This" and even the EP songs they released between those two albums.

NYRexall

#22 Post by NYRexall » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Now you've done it. I'm unfriending your twitter off my spaceface page.... or something.

I probably was think of another band, October File or something and brain farted. I did pick up their older album "Penance Soiree" a while back and really like the Stooges meets Secret Machines vibe they have. I guess they have a new album coming out any time now, hopefully they'll play clubs on their own instead of opening for someone else.
Their new one is called Slave Vows. It's badass and loud as hell. Penance Soiree is an unsung classic; their record label gave it no promotion whatsoever and delayed it for a year. Aaron North was much better suited to that band than Nails.

If you like The Stooges/Secret Machines vibe, and want to hear what it would sound like with better song structures and more melody, their follow-up 'Black Lives at the Golden Coast' is the way to go.

Great bio for that album here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Live ... lden_Coast
That funny, a lot of people who are really into The Cult think Choice Of Weapon is the best album they've done in a long time but I much prefer the previous one "Born Into This" and even the EP songs they released between those two albums.
Born Into This was enjoyable; I love love love that 'Citizens' song. Of course, they never played it during the times I saw them tour that album. I still think their '94 self-titled album is my favorite. Don't hang me in the street, please.

My Cult-obsessed buddy says that Itunes-only 'Weapon of Choice' album they had up for two months only last year is supposedly better than the COW album they went with. A bunch of outtakes and alternate recordings, I think.

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 pm

NYRexall wrote:Born Into This was enjoyable; I love love love that 'Citizens' song. Of course, they never played it during the times I saw them tour that album. I still think their '94 self-titled album is my favorite. Don't hang me in the street, please.

My Cult-obsessed buddy says that Itunes-only 'Weapon of Choice' album they had up for two months only last year is supposedly better than the COW album they went with. A bunch of outtakes and alternate recordings, I think.
WOC is the Chris Goss-produced versions of the album before the band's label brought in Bob Rock to polish the album up and help the band get over the creative roadblock they were supposedly stuck in while recording the album. I blew it on that iTunes exclusive holding out for some sort of physical release, forgot about it and then it was gone. And yeah, from what I've read and the few samples I originally heard, many of the songs are less bombastic Billy Duffy Rawk and are somewhere between polished demos and actual finished alternate versions.

I too like the '94 album. Sacred Life, Star (although it's very close to a rip-off of U2's "The Fly") and Coming Down are lost gems. The show I saw that tour at the Hollywood Palladium it was pretty obvious the band was not long for the world.

NYRexall

#24 Post by NYRexall » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 pm

'Coming Down' is great. I've liked that song since that album was released and the video was on 120 Minutes late one night. I played it for a buddy of mine once. He said it sounded like Danzig fronting Achtung Baby-era U2. I never looked at it that way but I guess I can see his point :noclue:

That 'Naturally High' song is a banger, too. I think 'The Witch' should have been on that album somewhere as well. Great stuff.

I have that Weapon of Choice Itunes album. It's on my computer in Japan though, not with me now. I can upload it for you when I get back if you want. It's in 320kbps audio, I think

NYRexall

#25 Post by NYRexall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 am

Oh, and

Now that I think about it...I lied. I always, for whatever reason, say that self-titled is my favorite Cult album.

And then I remember...these are the guys responsible for 'Love'. That's my favorite Cult album, no question. Rain, Nirvana, Big Neon Glitter; those songs never age a day to me.