80s Big Hair Metal- what is you favorite

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
LJF

80s Big Hair Metal- what is you favorite

#1 Post by LJF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I was listening to hair nation this morning driving into work and the song wait by White Lion came on. The song is so bad it is good. Sad to admit but it really put me into a good mood. I have a serious guilty pleasure in 80s hair metal. There are many others. Who else will admit it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: 80s Big Hair Metal- what is you favorite

#2 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:05 pm

I have a guilty pleasure for all things 80's. Pop music far more than hair metal though.

Bandit72

#3 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Christ, loads. Are you talking cheese or decent? I love a lot of 80's metal bands. When I was at shool it was Maiden, Malmsteen, Ozzy, Dio, Metallica etc... Wasn't a fan of Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Poison et al.

I was obsessed with Maiden for a good number of years in the 80's. I would go and see them again now.

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:44 pm

I can't say I listen to any now, but when I was a kid, Motley Crue was my favorite. They were my first big show when I was 12. I saw many shows after that.

lollapaloser

#5 Post by lollapaloser » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Crue, Too Fast For Love

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 pm

LJF wrote:I was listening to hair nation this morning driving into work and the song wait by White Lion came on. The song is so bad it is good. Sad to admit but it really put me into a good mood. I have a serious guilty pleasure in 80s hair metal. There are many others. Who else will admit it.
Never a fan of White Lion but I liked the guitar player's clean style and tone especially on that song.

Back when I used to whore around and DJ at the Marquee Club in Garden Grove at the end of the 80's, I saw many of those crap bands like Warrant, LA Guns, Kixx and yes, White Lion play there or else it was because whoever I was dating wanted to see someone like Motley fucking Crue at the Forum or Long Beach Arena so I saw a *lot* of these bands at their peak. Two albums that I really grew sick of because the club owner insisted I play relentlessly were Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls," and Whitesnake's self titled '87 album. It was always funny watching people on the dance floor "dancing" to something like "Here I Go Again."

Like Bandit above mentions, I too was more of a fan of actual hard rock/metal bands like AC/DC, pre-1984 Roth era- Van Halen, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Maiden ........basically anyone associated with the New Wave Of British Metal than bands that became popular between '86 - '90 during that decade. Of course, by the late 80's, you had many of these "metal" bands doing shitty power ballads and softening their style for mass appeal (Judas Priest - "Turbo Lover"... Ozzy - "Shot In The Dark"... LOL!) and by the time shit bands like Poison, Warrant, etc were peaking around '89 I was aggressively looking at other music genres, rediscovering goth, punk and post-punk, finding new bands like Janes, Ministry, Concrete Blonde, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, etc.

For me anyway, every genre of pop music has their share of catchy singles from bands I otherwise loathe.

kv

#7 Post by kv » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:38 pm

ZERO

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm

kv wrote:ZERO
yeah me too. in the 80's i was in to "progressive" or "new wave" or whatever you want to call it. i can't think of any that i actually liked.

jptm

#9 Post by jptm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Like Pand, I grew up in SoCal (San Gabriel Valley) in the 80's too... so I was into all of the local metal bands coming up when Crue & Ratt went big... I went out w/a girl whose uncle went out w/Vince's ex-; almost saw him get in a fight with him on the side of the road once.

Other bands that were around: Great White (their first EP was great), Armoured Saint, Keel, WASP, Bitch...

At one point in high school I got into Dweezil Zappa; he was a great player the same age as I was & I thought he was cool; on his first album every song is a different type of player--one sounds like Eddie *who gave him lessons*, another Ratt, Yngwie, even an Elvis Costello rip-off... but listening now--kinda cheesy.

:rockon:

clickie

#10 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:21 pm

i could never tolerate that shit even as a youth...i liked ozzy after he left sabbath and before the ultimate sin if that counts . ac/dc too.
i started getting into rap right around then and i guess the hair metal pushed me in that direction now that u guys mention it. :lol:

LJF

#11 Post by LJF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
LJF wrote:I was listening to hair nation this morning driving into work and the song wait by White Lion came on. The song is so bad it is good. Sad to admit but it really put me into a good mood. I have a serious guilty pleasure in 80s hair metal. There are many others. Who else will admit it.
Never a fan of White Lion but I liked the guitar player's clean style and tone especially on that song.

Back when I used to whore around and DJ at the Marquee Club in Garden Grove at the end of the 80's, I saw many of those crap bands like Warrant, LA Guns, Kixx and yes, White Lion play there or else it was because whoever I was dating wanted to see someone like Motley fucking Crue at the Forum or Long Beach Arena so I saw a *lot* of these bands at their peak. Two albums that I really grew sick of because the club owner insisted I play relentlessly were Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls," and Whitesnake's self titled '87 album. It was always funny watching people on the dance floor "dancing" to something like "Here I Go Again."

Like Bandit above mentions, I too was more of a fan of actual hard rock/metal bands like AC/DC, pre-1984 Roth era- Van Halen, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Maiden ........basically anyone associated with the New Wave Of British Metal than bands that became popular between '86 - '90 during that decade. Of course, by the late 80's, you had many of these "metal" bands doing shitty power ballads and softening their style for mass appeal (Judas Priest - "Turbo Lover"... Ozzy - "Shot In The Dark"... LOL!) and by the time shit bands like Poison, Warrant, etc were peaking around '89 I was aggressively looking at other music genres, rediscovering goth, punk and post-punk, finding new bands like Janes, Ministry, Concrete Blonde, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, etc.

For me anyway, every genre of pop music has their share of catchy singles from bands I otherwise loathe.
You got to see some awesome shows. It seems like every good band or at least most of the bands I like you have seen.

I love real metal bands and still do. Most of the bands you mentioned are what I started listening to when I first really got into music. By the time hair metal late 80s really got big I was onto "alternative" music. I would laugh at bands like White Lion. But as time moves on I really have a guilty pleasure for that shit music. I enjoy hearing it and can enjoy it so the cheese that it is. Like I said before it is so bad it is good.

LJF

#12 Post by LJF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Christ, loads. Are you talking cheese or decent? I love a lot of 80's metal bands. When I was at shool it was Maiden, Malmsteen, Ozzy, Dio, Metallica etc... Wasn't a fan of Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Poison et al.

I was obsessed with Maiden for a good number of years in the 80's. I would go and see them again now.
I was talking the shitty cheese hair bands. But I really liked and still like Maiden. I have a great memory of getting number of the beast on cassette for Christmas. My parents would let us open one gift on Christmas Eve. So they gave me that cassette and I put it in my Walkman so I could listen to it at midnight mass. Think about how fucked up that is, I'm sitting in church for midnight Christmas Eve mass and I'm listening to Number Of The Beast.

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:38 pm

LJF wrote: I would laugh at bands like White Lion. But as time moves on I really have a guilty pleasure for that shit music. I enjoy hearing it and can enjoy it so the cheese that it is. Like I said before it is so bad it is good.
I know what you mean. I just got into Journey a few years ago... :lol:

LJF

#14 Post by LJF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Artemis wrote:
LJF wrote: I would laugh at bands like White Lion. But as time moves on I really have a guilty pleasure for that shit music. I enjoy hearing it and can enjoy it so the cheese that it is. Like I said before it is so bad it is good.
Don't stop believing. I'm a big Flyers fan and that was the theme for the playoffs a few years ago. So imagine the crazy Flyers fans rocking out to Journey as the pump up song before playoff hockey games.

Artemis

#15 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 pm

LJF wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Don't stop believing. I'm a big Flyers fan and that was the theme for the playoffs a few years ago. So imagine the crazy Flyers fans rocking out to Journey as the pump up song before playoff hockey games.

:lol: That would be a sight to see and hear!

clickie

#16 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm

poison really kicked it up a notch..i thought they were a chick band when i'd walk into the record store and see this album cover..

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 pm

clickie wrote:poison really kicked it up a notch..i thought they were a chick band when i'd walk into the record store and see this album cover..
I have to come clean and admit I saw Poison twice - but with extenuating circumstances.

First time was on my birthday on 4/19/86. My friend and I actually wanted to see the band that opened for them - Cherry Bombz (why the fuck did every band think it was cool to use "Z" instead of "S?") which was comprised of ex-members of Hanoi Rocks and the ex-bass player from The Lords Of The New Church along with a pretty hot female singer. They were playing this large club in Reseda, The Country Club which was a converted supermarket building into a pretty decent live venue. It's where I first saw U2 during their first US tour in '81.

Anyway, we go, catch Cherry Bombz set and then go upstairs to the balcony bar and proceed to drink ourselves stupid. We wind up being the only two people upstairs when Poison comes on doing their dumb set around 11pm which blatantly ripped off everything from Motley Crue to Van Halen to AC/DC. I think they were just about to release their first album so this was a big high profile show for them. We're completely blitzed and don't care if we get tossed out so we start throwing paper airplanes made from the hundreds of other band flyers laying around on tables at the stage and my buddy manages to stick one in the guitarist's poofy hairdo where it stays for a whole song before he notices it and pulls it out. Then we start throwing pieces of ice at them from the closed down bar bin and loudly heckling the stage. Finally, we got thrown out during the encore.

Second time was on New Years Eve 1991. My girlfriend at the time, a stripper who had possibly the worst taste in music of anyone I ever knew insisted I take her to this show at the Long Beach Arena. To make matters worse, even more obnoxious band Warrant was the opener. She had a great time. All I could think about the whole night was getting laid after the show (which thankfully happened). The topper was, Poison finishes their set at about 11:45, so everyone celebrates New Years while walking out of the arena back to their cars.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm

LJF wrote:I was talking the shitty cheese hair bands. But I really liked and still like Maiden. I have a great memory of getting number of the beast on cassette for Christmas. My parents would let us open one gift on Christmas Eve. So they gave me that cassette and I put it in my Walkman so I could listen to it at midnight mass. Think about how fucked up that is, I'm sitting in church for midnight Christmas Eve mass and I'm listening to Number Of The Beast.
That's excellent.

LJF

#19 Post by LJF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
clickie wrote:poison really kicked it up a notch..i thought they were a chick band when i'd walk into the record store and see this album cover..
I have to come clean and admit I saw Poison twice - but with extenuating circumstances.

First time was on my birthday on 4/19/86. My friend and I actually wanted to see the band that opened for them - Cherry Bombz (why the fuck did every band think it was cool to use "Z" instead of "S?") which was comprised of ex-members of Hanoi Rocks and the ex-bass player from The Lords Of The New Church along with a pretty hot female singer. They were playing this large club in Reseda, The Country Club which was a converted supermarket building into a pretty decent live venue. It's where I first saw U2 during their first US tour in '81.

Anyway, we go, catch Cherry Bombz set and then go upstairs to the balcony bar and proceed to drink ourselves stupid. We wind up being the only two people upstairs when Poison comes on doing their dumb set around 11pm which blatantly ripped off everything from Motley Crue to Van Halen to AC/DC. I think they were just about to release their first album so this was a big high profile show for them. We're completely blitzed and don't care if we get tossed out so we start throwing paper
airplanes made from the hundreds of other band flyers laying around on tables at the stage and my buddy manages to stick one in the guitarist's poofy hairdo where it stays for a whole song before he notices it and pulls it out. Then we start throwing pieces of ice at them from the closed down bar bin and loudly heckling the stage. Finally, we got thrown out during the encore.

Second time was on New Years Eve 1991. My girlfriend at the time, a stripper who had possibly the worst taste in music of
anyone I ever knew insisted I take her to this show at the Long Beach Arena. To make matters worse, even more obnoxious band Warrant was the opener. She had a great time. All I could think about the whole night was getting laid after the show (which thankfully happened). The topper was, Poison finishes their set at about 11:45, so everyone celebrates New Years while walking out of the arena back to their cars.
Let me guess she was trying to put herself through college, once she did that she quit being a stripper.

Pandemonium

#20 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 pm

LJF wrote:Let me guess she was trying to put herself through college, once she did that she quit being a stripper.
Nahh, she had zero aspirations other than to eventually land some rich guy who'd take care of her.

kv

#21 Post by kv » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:52 pm

this is what you say:
Pandemonium wrote: I have to come clean and admit I saw Poison twice - but with extenuating circumstances.

Anyway, we go, catch Cherry Bombz set and then go upstairs to the balcony bar and proceed to drink ourselves stupid. We wind up being the only two people upstairs when Poison comes on doing their dumb set around 11pm which blatantly ripped off everything from Motley Crue to Van Halen to AC/DC. I think they were just about to release their first album so this was a big high profile show for them. We're completely blitzed and don't care if we get tossed out so we start throwing paper airplanes made from the hundreds of other band flyers laying around on tables at the stage and my buddy manages to stick one in the guitarist's poofy hairdo where it stays for a whole song before he notices it and pulls it out. Then we start throwing pieces of ice at them from the closed down bar bin and loudly heckling the stage. Finally, we got thrown out during the encore.

Second time was on New Years Eve 1991. My girlfriend at the time, a stripper who had possibly the worst taste in music of anyone I ever knew insisted I take her to this show at the Long Beach Arena. To make matters worse, even more obnoxious band Warrant was the opener. She had a great time. All I could think about the whole night was getting laid after the show (which thankfully happened). The topper was, Poison finishes their set at about 11:45, so everyone celebrates New Years while walking out of the arena back to their cars.

this is what i see:
Pandemonium wrote: i choose to go see poison!!!....on my birthday!!!

clickie

#22 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm

dude if panda really did come clean this thread would be ten miles long :lol:

pandarve666

#23 Post by pandarve666 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Mötley Crue!

Essence_Smith

#24 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 pm

I can definitely cop to liking the radio stuff from Poison, Crue and a few others, but where does GNR fall in this category? They weren't really "Big Hair", but definitely had some of that same crowd following em...

LJF

#25 Post by LJF » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 am

Essence_Smith wrote:I can definitely cop to liking the radio stuff from Poison, Crue and a few others, but where does GNR fall in this category? They weren't really "Big Hair", but definitely had some of that same crowd following em...
Watch the video for WTTJ again Axl had some of the big hair/glam going on, but I don't think they are any where near the cheese as those other bands. They weren't fluff they were a good band with more talent.