Carlos Castaneda

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Mescal

Carlos Castaneda

#1 Post by Mescal » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 am

Anyone read his books.

I read two of his, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, but now I want to know which ones I actually read.

I know I read the first one, teachings of Don Juan, cause I reread that one recently. I also want to reread the other one.

The only thing I remember clearly from that second one I read is a story about his car. Don Juan makes him want to let go of his "mathematical way of thinking". So they eat some muchrooms or peyote or whatever. And Castaneda knows for a fact that he put his jeep somewhere and that he closed the door, so nobody could have moved it. But when he's tripping he goes to that exact same spot and his car isn't there. Then Don Juan goes, see: you're in a parallel universe (or something of that nature). But Castaneda refuses to "believe" and he decides to stop taking Shaman lessons from Don Juan. Something something bla bla.

So, with all you smart guys on this forum, anyone know what book I'm talking about.

He has 12 books about his adventures in Mexico, I don't want to read them all.

lollapaloser

Re: Carlos Castaneda

#2 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Wow, about 8 years ago I read the 1st 6 books I think. I remember that scenario you're describing, just don't remember which one it was. Might be the 2nd. I remember I read the one where Don Genaro disappears at the waterfall a few times. By the 5th book, I thought it was getting a little out of hand. I think thats the one with La Gorda and the female sorcerers that start coming out of the woodwork.

I really enjoyed those books up until the one with all the sorcerers, and continued re-reading the 1st 4. I still have 'em all.

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm thinking it's "The Second Ring of Power".

Cause apparently he talks about Lucid dreaming in that one. And I also remember reading a bit about lucid dreaming and I'm sure that's not in the first book.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:22 am

I read all of them in high school. I have no idea which book Mescal is thinking of though... might be the third one (Journey to Ixtlan)...