Spartacus (starz)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Jasper

Spartacus (starz)

#1 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 pm

I recently watched this, mostly because it had a high imdb rating, and also because I still miss Game of Thrones, so guys with swords killing each other seemed like a good quick fix.

I've never seen this much blood, and the SOUNDS which accompany this bloodletting are outrageously lurid. Gratuitous nudity is commonplace. During some scenes an electric guitar might break through the clamor, which is never a sign that you're watching high brow gladiator fare, but fuck if this show isn't entertaining as hell. I couldn't stop watching it. The cheap thrills are pretty much wall-to-wall, but somehow, sandwiched in there, are some moments where the show nearly elevates to HBO levels. If we take True Blood into account, it actually does reach HBO levels. There are some pretty unrealistic visual effects at times, which they really seem to embrace a la that Spartan flick from a while back, or like moments in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. The whole thing wouldn't work without some pretty good acting, and the guy in the title role pulls it off, as do a number of other characters (it has a big cast, but isn't confusing). You can't help but become invested in characters and story. There's a lot of drama and scheming and dirt and sex and, of course, violence, and you might need to take a shower after watching it.

So, that should tell you what you're getting into. Here are all of the links, if you want to stream season 1 (2010), and the followup mini-series from this year:

http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.im/index.p ... sand-2010/

http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.im/index.p ... rena-2011/

I recommend the potlucker links above all. Sometimes you'll have to use other services. Movreel is decent. Megavideo, as you may know, has a 72-minute time limit, so I wouldn't bother with their bullshit.
:tiphat:

Jasper

Re: Spartacus (starz)

#2 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Really? Nobody's seen this? :hs: :noclue: It's awfully entertaining. :nod:

Xizen47

#3 Post by Xizen47 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I was under the impression that everybody had seen it :noclue:

It is a great show. You may have to force your way throught the 1st 1 or 2 episodes of Blood and Sand before it hooks you. The 1st episode was Really, Really bad. I've never seen a show go from that bad to fucking awesome in the span of a couple episodes. Hopefully they can keep this series going strong after losing the lead actor :sad: , he was great in that role

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Xizen47 wrote:Hopefully they can keep this series going strong after losing the lead actor :sad: , he was great in that role
Yeah, it's a serious bummer. He was a perfect lead. Fuck cancer...fuck it in the ass. :no:

He was going to come back, and they did that prequel this year just to let him get better, but it's too physically demanding too soon. For his part he was very cool about it. He welcomed a new actor and said that even though he couldn't continue, he wanted the story told. It's entering a whole new phase, too. I hope this new dude can keep the soul of the character intact.

Xizen47

#5 Post by Xizen47 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:24 pm

RIP Andy Whitfield :sad:
'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield dies of lymphoma at 39
Sept. 11, 2011, 7:42 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Andy Whitfield, the 39-year-old star of the cable series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," has died.

Manager Sam Maydew says Whitfield died Sunday of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in Sydney, Australia.

Whitfield's wife Vashti in a statement called her husband a "beautiful young warrior" who died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Find: More on Andy Whitfield's career

Whitfield — who was born in Wales and lived in Australia — was a virtual unknown when he was cast as the title hero in "Spartacus," a hit original series for the Starz network that made waves with its graphic violence and sexuality.

Whitfield was preparing for the second season when he was diagnosed 18 months ago.

In January the network announced that another Australian actor, Liam McIntyre, would take over the role.

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 am

Yeah, I was gonna post about this just now. Really sad. At least he got some measure of immortality from his acting.
http://news.yahoo.com/spartacus-star-wh ... 01065.html
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the hit cable series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," has died at age 39, according to representatives and family.

Whitfield died Sunday in Sydney, Australia, 18 months after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, manager Sam Maydew told the Associated Press.

"On a beautiful sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18 month battle with lymphoma cancer," Whitfield's wife Vashti said in a statement. "He passed peacefully surrounded by love. Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."

Andy Whitfield — who was born in Wales and moved to Australia in 1999 — was a virtual unknown when he was cast as the legendary Thracian slave in "Spartacus," a role made famous by Kirk Douglas in the 1960 Stanley Kubrick film.

The series proved a breakout hit for the Starz network and made waves with its graphic violence and sexuality.

Whitfield appeared in all 13 episodes of the first season that aired in 2010, and was preparing to shoot the second when he was diagnosed with cancer.

While waiting for Whitfield's treatment and expected recovery, the network produced a six-part prequel, "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," that aired earlier this year with only a brief voiceover from the actor.

But in January after Whitfield's condition grew worse, the network announced that another Australian actor, Liam McIntyre, would take over the role.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield," Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement Sunday night. "We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

Whitfield's previous credits included appearances on the Australian TV shows "Packed to the Rafters" and "McLeod's Daughters."

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:02 pm

This season has been extremely entertaining so far. Andy Whitfield is sorely missed, but this new guy is really doing as good a job as could be expected. He's about a decade younger, and he's not just playing Spartacus, he's playing Andy Whitfield's Spartacus. I think he's doing a great job. He fights well and delivers the lines very well, and I'm surprised that he could be that fit and do all that, plus kinda look reasonably like the Spartacus we were already familiar with. He does not have the very distinct face of Andy Whitfield, let alone the charm and gravitas of a guy ten years older, but he's still fairly passable. It must have been extremely difficult to cast the part.

Anyway, if you haven't watched this, it's pretty damn great. It plays like an extremely violent and sexual graphic novel. Waaaay better than trash like True Blood, which a number of us seem to watch. There are two seasons, with a mini-series in between.

Last week (shit video quality, unfortunately)

tvrec

#8 Post by tvrec » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Enjoying it, too, but as somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

I think the character of Neevia was also taken up by a new actress.

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 am

A friend lent me his Blu-ray of Spartacus - Gods of the Arena.

I started FF'ing after 6 minutes into episode 1. If this isn't a terrible TV series, I don't know what is. Was it really on TV? I can only see college freshmen enjoying a piece of shit like this show. It's beyond absurd! 20 seconds of guys fighting (with an awful color filter, btw) followed by 20 seconds of lesbian action, followed by 20 seconds of guys fighting, followed by the same lesbian action only now a guy arrives and starts having sex with those chicks...

Terrible.