Great Obscure New Music

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Great Obscure New Music

#1 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:08 pm

So the other thread about great new bands that have come up in the past decade or so was cool and all... so here instead I'm going to suggest posting bands/music that is so out of the ordinary/obscure that no one in their right mind would ever come across it if you didn't post it here.

The first band is one I accidentally happened across today and it's ... not like anything I've heard in a while... and I'm really digging it. It doesn't have that DRONING plodding sometimes annoying sound that a lot of Western post-rock has had since Tortoise, GY!BE, Mogwai, and The For Carnation.

It's a Taiwanese (Chinese) band called Cicada. They describe themselves as "ambient neo-classical post-rock", and I think that's pretty accurate.

http://cicadatw.blogspot.ca/
Taiwanese female fronted chamber ensemble Cicada is led by the composer/pianist Jesy Chiang with members including Anne (violin), Wan-Ing (cello), and Bambi (guitar). They released the acclaimed EP "Over the Sea/Under the Water" following the debut performance as the opening act for Ólafur Arnalds' concert in Taipei in 2010,.

While citing Rachel's and Hauschka as influences, Cicada interwove the subtle sensitivity and delicacy to the composition. Its mixture of contemporary classical music and vague oriental feel is fresh sonic experience to listeners. As a sequel of the EP, the release Pieces adds tracks with warmth and clarity to tell a story about one's introspection and the growth of the mindset

Cicada is also known for its connection with artists in various areas. Each release features stunning cover art by rising female artists in Taiwan. The upcoming performance in Oct. 2011 will be a blend of music, dance and theater. This highly anticipated performance will be an striking collaboration of Taiwanese young/cutting edge artists
Here's their Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/Cicadatw

And a couple of songs I've enjoyed this evening:

kv

Re: Great Obscure New Music

#2 Post by kv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:09 am

kv

#3 Post by kv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:36 am

kv

#4 Post by kv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:39 am

kv

#5 Post by kv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:48 am

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:38 am

Oh man. Thanks KV. Just what I was looking for.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 am

Joy Division + Ramones. Crazy sound. :rockon:

Broken Water remind me of Flaming Lips + Nick Cave or something in the first song and then Sonic Youth/Pixies... Sorta... perfect.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 am

Remind me a lot Pixies with a dash of Sonic Youth. Not exactly new though.

kv

#9 Post by kv » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:02 pm

ya can see why people would say pixies with that guys voice...indy music is so strange now...it has like pixies radio head grunge punk new wave all rolled in one it's such a melting pot i guess music always has been but i had to live through what i thought was new ( well to my ears it was) to now see it all comes from somewhere...sooo much stuff today with a touch of grunge it's funny...but i will always listen to it because nothing is better then indy low fi noise rock/pop/punk imho once they get signed ( now if they ever do ) they lose what i love most always...only a few bands that manage to hold their sound once signed and they tend to go to off major labels like autolux to coen brothers and silversun pickups went to dangerbird or where ever avery is

jptm

#10 Post by jptm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:15 pm

krakle

#11 Post by krakle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:17 pm

kv

#12 Post by kv » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm

krakle wrote:this is goddamn awesome: http://soundcloud.com/futuregalloway/yo ... dy-but-not
that drummer should take his crash and break it into one thousand pieces

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:30 am

Melody's Echo Chamber

Savages

Against Me

blackula

#14 Post by blackula » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:03 pm

KV...Does Meho Plaza still exist? Anything that comes up in a search is dated 2008-2010.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 pm

blackula wrote:KV...Does Meho Plaza still exist? Anything that comes up in a search is dated 2008-2010.
fuck maybe not...don't get out as much as i should...can't find anything current on them either

guess i need a "great obscure music that is no more" thread /sadface

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am

kv wrote:
blackula wrote:KV...Does Meho Plaza still exist? Anything that comes up in a search is dated 2008-2010.
fuck maybe not...don't get out as much as i should...can't find anything current on them either

guess i need a "great obscure music that is no more" thread /sadface
Figures...I'm always late to the party!

LJF

#17 Post by LJF » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 am

a band called Total Control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9i2u1Z4mT8

Essence_Smith

#18 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
It was ok...I'm mad that everyone "lives in" in Brooklyn now though...its like Seattle and L.A. back in the days now I guess...people just move to Williamsburg and claim the borough...I can't stand it...

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:38 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
It was ok...I'm mad that everyone "lives in" in Brooklyn now though...its like Seattle and L.A. back in the days now I guess...people just move to Williamsburg and claim the borough...I can't stand it...
:lol: You're just the old guys who hated hippies at Haight & Ashbury back in the day. I don't hate hipsters... just their shitty music and artistic taste, generally.

Essence_Smith

#20 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
:lol: You're just the old guys who hated hippies at Haight & Ashbury back in the day. I don't hate hipsters... just their shitty music and artistic taste, generally.
:essence:
Not at all...I just dislike them trying to add legitimacy to what they're doing by stating that they "live" in Brooklyn when they're clearly not FROM Brooklyn...shitty music speaks for itself... :wink:

mockbee

#21 Post by mockbee » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Not at all...I just dislike them trying to add legitimacy to what they're doing by stating that they "live" in Brooklyn when they're clearly not FROM Brooklyn...shitty music speaks for itself... :wink:

But that is, precisely, what Hype is saying......... :noclue:

You really think all those Hippies grew up in Haight and all of a sudden there was a movement in '69 that just happened to be in the place they grew up? :hs:

Essence_Smith

#22 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:26 pm

mockbee wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

But that is, precisely, what Hype is saying......... :noclue:

You really think all those Hippies grew up in Haight and all of a sudden there was a movement in '69 that just happened to be in the place they grew up? :hs:
:noclue:
All I know for sure is that Williamsburg was a shithole till maybe 12 years ago and the influx of so-called hipsters has definitely helped people who own property all over BK to justify raising rents for some god awful properties etc...YES there's definitely some money and development going on in the borough...we now have a basketball team, stadium and yadda yadda...but the least of all is the fact that musicians and artists are coming out and using the B word to add some shine to their stuff...so I have a LOT of reasons for the way I feel, but artists using BK as a hub is a small part of it...so I don't think its necessarily like the Haight Asbury thing...insult to injury is all the people who I knew a few years ago who lived in Manhattan who would NOT come to BK to hang out and now its a hip thing to do because they put a few bucks into a few areas...so again, maybe you guys see some similarities in my attitude but I don't think its the same thing...I was proud to be from and live in Brooklyn before it became fashionable...I am clearly ranting here, but I just don't see it as the same thing because the effects of hippies on Haight is NOT the same as hipsters in BK...

kv

#23 Post by kv » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 pm

ahhh i don't know about that...it's pretty much the same fucking thing

Essence_Smith

#24 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm

kv wrote:ahhh i don't know about that...it's pretty much the same fucking thing
Bottom line if the majority of these people were putting out good music, I'd have zero issue with them using Brooklyn the way they do...

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
kv wrote:ahhh i don't know about that...it's pretty much the same fucking thing
Bottom line if the majority of these people were putting out good music, I'd have zero issue with them using Brooklyn the way they do...
You're just discovering the reality of aging. "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, and now what's it seems strange and frightening to me." -- Grandpa Simpson (Hullabalooza episode).

I don't like Hipster music any more than you do, but lots of people do. They're mostly younger than both of us. That isn't to say that there aren't people in those age-brackets that like music that we would like too, but it ain't what's "it". Hell, I wasn't into "it" music when I was a teenager... remember? :lol: