Cool rhythms

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Larry B.

Cool rhythms

#1 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 pm

I've always loved the guitar harmonies of this song and their interplay with the bombo legüero:

It's in 6/8, and I think the line of the guitar is very cleverly built; when the guitars and the bombo go in unison at the end of the phrase it's delicious. Probably because of the bombo's sudden (and low) appearance in contrast to the high notes of the guitars.

This other song is in 9/8 and I love it's rhythmic base just because it's so god damn hypnotic.

Matz

Re: Cool rhythms

#2 Post by Matz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 pm

if you're into odd time, I should upload a song I just wrote in this thread when I have mixed it and have had it mastered. It's 11 minutes long with 17 different sections. When one section is over, it never returns, so it plays out like a movie that continues to evolve. It features quite a lot of odd time stuff. The first six bars for instance are in these time signatures: 3/4, 5/8, 5/4, 3/4, 5/8, 4/4 with funk riffs on top that modulates and stuff. :lol: So it's pretty crazy, it also has sections of 9/8, 5/8 and more......it's fun to try and take a pretty whacked out concept like the six bars that get looped and then try and make the music accessable and groovy anyway, so it's not only Miles Davis types that get something out of it..

krakle

#3 Post by krakle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 am

Matz wrote:if you're into odd time, I should upload a song I just wrote in this thread when I have mixed it and have had it mastered. It's 11 minutes long with 17 different sections. When one section is over, it never returns, so it plays out like a movie that continues to evolve. It features quite a lot of odd time stuff. The first six bars for instance are in these time signatures: 3/4, 5/8, 5/4, 3/4, 5/8, 4/4 with funk riffs on top that modulates and stuff. :lol: So it's pretty crazy, it also has sections of 9/8, 5/8 and more......it's fun to try and take a pretty whacked out concept like the six bars that get looped and then try and make the music accessable and groovy anyway, so it's not only Miles Davis types that get something out of it..

nausearockpig

#4 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:10 am

Matz wrote:if you're into odd time, I should upload a song I just wrote in this thread when I have mixed it and have had it mastered. It's 11 minutes long with 17 different sections. When one section is over, it never returns, so it plays out like a movie that continues to evolve. It features quite a lot of odd time stuff. The first six bars for instance are in these time signatures: 3/4, 5/8, 5/4, 3/4, 5/8, 4/4 with funk riffs on top that modulates and stuff. :lol: So it's pretty crazy, it also has sections of 9/8, 5/8 and more......it's fun to try and take a pretty whacked out concept like the six bars that get looped and then try and make the music accessable and groovy anyway, so it's not only Miles Davis types that get something out of it..
U should upload it.

drifter

#5 Post by drifter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 am