animal collective: hollywood bowl

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
sinep

animal collective: hollywood bowl

#1 Post by sinep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 am

incredible. beautiful night, good wine, and good music.
Also Frightened
Applesauce
Wide Eyed
Today's Supernatural
Lion in a Coma
Cobwebs
New Town Burnout
Monkey Riches
Brother Sport
Peacebone
My Girls

Encore:
Pulleys
Amanita
also frightened was a bit of a weak opener, and i'm actually pretty disappointed they didn't play "moonjock," the opener off the new album. it's one of my favorites off centipede hz. other than that, they were fantastic. i was surprised, a lot of the vocals that i didn't expect would turn out well live were incredible. avey tare shrieking and freaking out all over the stage during "today's supernatural" and "peacebone" was just perfect.

i'd say monkey riches>brother sport>peacebone>my girls might be 20 mins of the most entertaining live music i've seen.

flying lotus was a great opener too. if you haven't heard of him, you may be familiar with the little "blips" he did for adult swim, he was the in house music producer for them for a few years.

there were some like throat singing siberian monks or something that opened up the show, but after checking it out on youtube i wasn't into it so i skipped it. people were telling me it was really cool. oh well.

:hs:

kv

Re: animal collective: hollywood bowl

#2 Post by kv » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 am

that is fucking amazing

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:23 am

Honeycomb is a great fucking song.

lollapaloser

#4 Post by lollapaloser » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:19 am

I saw Animal Collective in Oakland @ the Fox Theater Friday night, and it was incredible. I was also surprised at how good they were live. Pretty impressive.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:35 pm

sinep wrote:i was surprised, a lot of the vocals that i didn't expect would turn out well live were incredible.
Since what they do is mostly push buttons and shit, I've always wondered what the energy and the sound are like. Do you get a nice bass vibration in your chest? Don't you feel a bit cheated standing there and basically knowing that although they might be singing, they just pressed 'play' at the start of the song?

I'd definitely go check them out if I had the chance, but I have a feeling that would put me off a little. I enjoy seeing how the music 'comes to life' onstage :noclue:

lollapaloser

#6 Post by lollapaloser » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 pm

There are a lot of loops, some of them are harmonies too, which I didn't really expect, but I wasn't turned off by it at all, and obviously hanging around these boards for so long, I'm pretty cynical about music. It's a cool live band. The lead singer sings his ass off the whole show, that's for sure. He sounds really good, and sings a lot of challenging stuff.

sinep

#7 Post by sinep » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Larry B. wrote:
sinep wrote:i was surprised, a lot of the vocals that i didn't expect would turn out well live were incredible.
Since what they do is mostly push buttons and shit, I've always wondered what the energy and the sound are like. Do you get a nice bass vibration in your chest? Don't you feel a bit cheated standing there and basically knowing that although they might be singing, they just pressed 'play' at the start of the song?

:
not at all. i think a lot more goes into the samples than just pressing play. geologist does some cool sound manipulation shit, especially between songs.

definitely had a live feel to it. live drums... live guitar... and some pretty cool keyboard work.

it wasn't like MGMT, that shit sucked live...

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 pm

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: there is a dude in the band that calls himself geologist? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

you kids and these silly bands you like

sinep

#9 Post by sinep » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 pm

he has a cavers light that he wears around his head to see the equipment, and so he got the nickname geologist.

now you know what your parents felt like when they wandered into your room and saw all of your jane's addiction merchandise.

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:07 pm

A strip from a 1972 Archie comic, where Archie travels to the future. It's been alleged that he travels to 2012, but I can't confirm that.

Here, from about 1969, we have Jim Morrison showing some profound insight.

cabangbangq

#11 Post by cabangbangq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm

lollapaloser wrote:I saw Animal Collective in Oakland @ the Fox Theater Friday night, and it was incredible. I was also surprised at how good they were live. Pretty impressive.
I was there as well, fantastic show. I saw them 3 years ago at the Fox during the Merriweather tour and came away very underwhelmed and disappointed by how much of the low end was gone and how empty some of the songs sounded. More than anything, it felt like I was watching 3 dj's on stage who happened to sing.

Friday night, they were incredible. It felt like a band playing its ass off and having fun up there. Panda Bear is a fantastic drummer (well maybe not fantastic, but he does his own unique style very well) and the whole band felt like they were on another level compared to the last time I saw them. Deakin's presence added a whole other to their sound and his guitar playing fit in very well into the MPP songs. I particularly loved Wide Eyed, Father Time, and Moonjock. My Girls was beautiful and Brothersport was literally the most dance filled song I've ever seen at the Fox. Of course, it always helps to have a good time when you smoke a bowl and have an edible with your friend at a show.

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm

cabangbangq wrote: Panda Bear is a fantastic drummer
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: stop.....please quit it. the drummer calls himself panda bear? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: geologist and panda bear :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: