Now Playing...

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Re: Now Playing...

#476 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 am

crater

#477 Post by crater » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Xizen47

#478 Post by Xizen47 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Matz wrote:I did a little investigation on the guy. Turns out his real name is Todd Huth and that he was actually the original guitar player in Primus. Not only that he also wrote the guitar parts for the songs featured on the first couple of albums. So he and not Larry LaLonde invented that whole Primus guitar style! Very cool, it makes him a legend in my book. Much more inventive than a guy like Clapton fx.
Eenor and Todd Huth are separate, both in the Frog Brigade

mockbee

#479 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 am

Matz

#480 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:50 am

Xizen47 wrote:
Matz wrote:I did a little investigation on the guy. Turns out his real name is Todd Huth and that he was actually the original guitar player in Primus. Not only that he also wrote the guitar parts for the songs featured on the first couple of albums. So he and not Larry LaLonde invented that whole Primus guitar style! Very cool, it makes him a legend in my book. Much more inventive than a guy like Clapton fx.
Eenor and Todd Huth are separate, both in the Frog Brigade
ah, I see, thanks

Here's Todd playing with Primus early on. I always thought these great licks were written by Larry LaLonde

LJF

#481 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 am

PWEI- Def Con One

I got the new a place to bury strangers cd and I can't stop listening to it. One of the better CD I've purchased in recent memory. Anyone else listent to them or seen them live? I've heard their shows are aewsome.

Pure Method

#482 Post by Pure Method » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:47 am

LJF wrote:PWEI- Def Con One

I got the new a place to bury strangers cd and I can't stop listening to it. One of the better CD I've purchased in recent memory. Anyone else listent to them or seen them live? I've heard their shows are aewsome.

is that onwards to the wall?

LJF

#483 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 am

Pure Method wrote:

is that onwards to the wall?
no it's worship. onwards is an ep and I don't have that yet. Worship is worth checking out.

Bandit72

#484 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:03 am

Yes. I saw them in 1992. They are excellent. They recently toured with The Stuffies and Jesus Jones I think. Neds Atomic Dustbin maybe as well? All good midlands Indie bands! :thumb:

Bandit72

#485 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:04 am

Pandemonium

#486 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm on a major Kings X bender tonight. One of the things I picked up in Tucson was this live cd/dvd set "Live Love In London" that I've been checking out tonight:

Also been listening to several other albums today, they have a pretty deep catalog:

lollapaloser

#487 Post by lollapaloser » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:05 am

Mr Bungle-Mr Bungle

kv

#488 Post by kv » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:12 am

10 years ago fuck ages well

Bandit72

#489 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 am

kv wrote:

Fucking YES

Without question this song is from an album which will never leave my top 5 of all time. With regards to Grohl, as much as I'm not really a Foo Fighters "fan", he's one hell of a talent.

Artemis

#490 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

I am enjoying listening to the new Cat Power album.

This song has a cameo by Iggy Pop on it - pretty good.

I don't know if anybody else will think so, but I found this song reminded me a little of Bowie's Heroes.

Nothin But Time

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =159921633

kv

#491 Post by kv » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
kv wrote:

Fucking YES

Without question this song is from an album which will never leave my top 5 of all time. With regards to Grohl, as much as I'm not really a Foo Fighters "fan", he's one hell of a talent.
a band i had a taste evolution with...was never a big fan of them...i saw them around the time of this video but only because of their opening band ( trail of the dead who were amazing) and i left about 3/4 through queens set lol...never liked nick and while i liked mark in screaming trees, i didn't here...the whole thing was just too hard rock/metal for me...when those 2 were out of the picture i kinda got into them more..started liking their older stuff and now like the old queens much more lol...i started liking them for troy and josh who were way more my speed...whats amazing to me is...much like you i don't care about foo fighters but dave fucking kills it here but how the fuck were they able to replace him with someone just as powerful? amazing band one of my favs now...and i am lucky since my perspective was different then most i like all of their records...while those who were big in them from the start don't like them after nick left...so all works out for me...is a very rare thing for me to like something i didn't used to but they won me over

Pandemonium

#492 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm

kv wrote:a band i had a taste evolution with...was never a big fan of them...i saw them around the time of this video but only because of their opening band ( trail of the dead who were amazing) and i left about 3/4 through queens set lol...

Was this in '02 at the Hollywood Palladium? If so, I too left about 3/4ths through their set. They played "No One Knows" at about the halfway point, and the set just seemed to drag after that and I got bored.

kv

#493 Post by kv » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 am

yep palladium....lol just as i remember...got old, my friend wasn't into it either and we bailed...at the time i thought trail destroyed them...i remember trails guitar player getting pissed at his guitar and just saying fuck it and gave it to someone in the crowd..."hope you have better luck with it then i did" remember that?

Juana

#494 Post by Juana » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:27 am

kv wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
kv wrote:

Fucking YES

a band i had a taste evolution with...was never a big fan of them...i saw them around the time of this video but only because of their opening band ( trail of the dead who were amazing) and i left about 3/4 through queens set lol...never liked nick and while i liked mark in screaming trees, i didn't here...the whole thing was just too hard rock/metal for me...when those 2 were out of the picture i kinda got into them more..started liking their older stuff and now like the old queens much more lol...i started liking them for troy and josh who were way more my speed...whats amazing to me is...much like you i don't care about foo fighters but dave fucking kills it here but how the fuck were they able to replace him with someone just as powerful? amazing band one of my favs now...and i am lucky since my perspective was different then most i like all of their records...while those who were big in them from the start don't like them after nick left...so all works out for me...is a very rare thing for me to like something i didn't used to but they won me over
I think I'm in your boat as I think Lullabies was their best album so far, but basically as punk/hardcore as I am I never liked Nick. I liked a lot of Rated R and Songs but I personally feel their peaked with Lullabies, that said... Grohl is a fucking monster. He was the same monster in Nirvana, just no onw gave him credit for his work on the skins

LJF

#495 Post by LJF » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:57 am

Bandit72 wrote:

Yes. I saw them in 1992. They are excellent. They recently toured with The Stuffies and Jesus Jones I think. Neds Atomic Dustbin maybe as well? All good midlands Indie bands! :thumb:
never got a chance to see any of those bands and wish I did, but not Jesus Jones. Not sure why I never saw them, those were my college days so I should have been able to see them.

Pandemonium

#496 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 pm

kv wrote:yep palladium....lol just as i remember...got old, my friend wasn't into it either and we bailed...at the time i thought trail destroyed them...i remember trails guitar player getting pissed at his guitar and just saying fuck it and gave it to someone in the crowd..."hope you have better luck with it then i did" remember that?
Yeah, that really was the high point of the night.

It's odd, but I actually enjoyed QOTSA more when I saw them in '05 supporting Nine Inch Nails at the otherwise shitteriffic Hollywood Bowl. They weren't better musically, but Josh seemed clueless he was making an ass of himself telling stupid jokes in-between songs which made their set at least somewhat amusing.

Juana

#497 Post by Juana » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:13 am

:rockon: :rockon:

I know Pantera covered it but there is so much venom in this version that is lost in the cover...

Essence_Smith

#498 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:33 am

My father would be proud...going back to my roots! :rockon:

Japhy

#499 Post by Japhy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:23 pm

I saw Jeffrey Lewis twice over the weekend (and i should have made it 3 with a gig on Tuesday night but i was totally fucked!)... he was awesome, particularly the 2nd time. Anyway, i'm playing tons of his stuff right now... Another Girl is just perfect.

Pandemonium

#500 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Two bands I highly recommend, The Supersuckers and The Lords Of Altamont: