Break A Leg, Dave!

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Break A Leg, Dave!

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Dave Grohl apparent fell off the stage at a festival show in Sweden and broke his leg during the 2nd song. While the band played several covers without him, Grohl had his leg x-rayed and put in a temporary cast and came back out in a chair and led the band through a 25 song set.

Pandemonium

Re: Break A Leg, Dave!

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:32 pm

guysmiley

#3 Post by guysmiley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:07 am

Pretty bad ass ha came back out to play. Most guys wouldn't. Hey, he can take advantage of that great healthcare over there!

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 am

I thought this was gonna be Dave Navarro related! :essence:

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:49 am

I'm not really a big fan of Dave Grohl's music, but I have a lot of respect for him. :cool: :rockon:

In the last month there's been three incidents of musicians falling off stages:The Edge in May, St Vincent(Annie Clark) earlier this month in Tennessee, and now Dave Grohl

perkana

#6 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:02 am

I've fallen like that twice this week (on the street) and I've only gotten a very bruised knee. What a trooper.

Mescal

#7 Post by Mescal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:53 am

There's this festival I got to every year, the Rock Werchter festival.

I've been going since 1996 and traditionally it's always the first weekend of july. Students having finished their exams and all that. For me it was also great, because the first weekend of july is also the first weekend of my yearly holiday. So I didn't have to got to work on monday after partying for 4 days. (I have my own company, so I can't just not go to work)

Anyway

For the first time in all these years they rescheduled the festival to the weekend prior to the first weekend of July, just so they could book the Foo Fighers. This aroused some protest with a lot of students and all that, it was national news.

And oh irony.

They're not coming

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Btw: I can't stand the Foo Fighters

nausearockpig

#8 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:17 am

perkana wrote:I've fallen like that twice this week (on the street) and I've only gotten a very bruised knee. What a trooper.

Tryhard. You're doing it wrong...

Or maybe he is.....

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:32 am

Artemis wrote:I'm not really a big fan of Dave Grohl's music, but I have a lot of respect for him. :cool: :rockon:
I'm the same. However the drums he laid down for Songs for the Deaf are some of the best I've ever heard.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 am

Artemis wrote:I'm not really a big fan of Dave Grohl's music, but I have a lot of respect for him. :cool: :rockon:
Same.

Meanwhile, Axl Rose cancels a whole fucking tour if someone yells "Where's Slash?" between songs.

chaos

#11 Post by chaos » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:17 pm

http://dc.suntimes.com/dc-entertainment ... oncert-dc/

No uncured meats, 'Boys' Life' magazines or fun allowed at Foo Fighters 4th of July concert in D.C.

WRITTEN BY LORNA FINNEGAN POSTED: 07/01/2015, 11:43AM

Despite a broken leg, Dave Grohl is expected to take to the stage of the RFK Stadium this 4th of July weekend for an almighty show (minus Grohl jumpig around of course). Having had to cancel their headlining Glastonbury slot last weekend, there has been no mention of such for the D.C. concert, which – according to Music Times - is much more than any concert.

The Washington D.C. concert will be more than just the opening date of the band’s extensive North American tour, as well as more than just a July 4th celebration. The concert will mark the band’s 20th anniversary and will feature an all-star lineup of rockers to celebrate. Buddy Guy, Joan Jett, Gary Clark Jr., Heart, LL Cool J andTrombone Shorty will perform ahead of the headliners at RFK Stadium.

Forget the all-star lineup for just a second, what really caught our attention in all the talks of the gig was the bizarre prohibited list. Earlier this week the promoters of the show released an extensive list of banned items that can’t be brought into RFK stadium.

Of course you have the usual – drugs, cameras, fireworks – however, some unusual items made it’s way onto the list.

If you’re planning on attending the Foo Fighters this weekend, make sure to leave the following at home:

Frisbees (Grohl won’t be able to catch any flying frisbees due to his broken leg, how could you be so inconsiderate?)
Wallet Chains (It’s time you grew up and took responsibility for your own wallet and lose that chain)
Selfie Sticks (doesn’t need an explanation, does it?)
Copies of Boy’s Life magazine (Can’t you go anywhere without your magazines?)
Uncured meats of any kind
Bubble and/or squeak
Confetti and streamers (basically, no fun allowed)
Weird weapons that may have been used on the show “Vikings” (I’ll be leaving my cross bow at home so…)
http://en.calameo.com/read/0016121946fc4bd67e6a9

Artemis

#12 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Some weird items on that list. :crazy: :lol:

perkana

#13 Post by perkana » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Fuck, I could have stayed over for the 4th of July, but I guess I would have no money or there wouldn't be any tickets available for that show.

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Can anybody please tell me what the thing is with the Foo Fighters?

Matz

#15 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:48 am

Artemis wrote:Some weird items on that list. :crazy: :lol:
right, I can't bring a grill...that's a dealbreaker for me

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:01 am

Mescal wrote:Can anybody please tell me what the thing is with the Foo Fighters?
Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters was in Nirvana. The end.

Seriously, FF is the most generic meat and potatoes rock band. Even their best songs are basically forgettable. They're like Nickleback, only with lyrics that aren't horrible and without a singer who sounds like James Hetfield trying to take a shit.

I came of age during the whole Nirvana/grunge explosion and saw Nirvana live (I was a big fan)...but I've never understood the deal with the Foo Fighters. Then again, there's a lot of boring post-grunge music that Gen Y's loved.

Don't get me wrong...Dave Grohl seems like a super nice guy. But if that was my criteria for listening to music, I wouldn't listen to an asshole geniuses like Billy Corgan or Danzig (ok, former geniuses).

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:39 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Don't get me wrong...Dave Grohl seems like a super nice guy.
I think that's part of the appeal for sure.
Dave comes across as a nice and genuine person. Maybe the kind of guy that other guys would want to have a beer with and hang out. He seems really down to earth and gives 100% at every show. Anyway,that's my impression.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:58 am

Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Don't get me wrong...Dave Grohl seems like a super nice guy.
I think that's part of the appeal for sure.
Dave comes across as a nice and genuine person. Maybe the kind of guy that other guys would want to have a beer with and hang out. He seems really down to earth and gives 100% at every show. Anyway,that's my impression.
I know I've mentioned this before, but back in late 2008 at a Killing Joke show at the House Of Blues in LA, while waiting for my drink at the bar early in the evening, a group of 3 guys next to me were having a conversation about Nirvana and I somehow got sucked into the conversation. At one point, the topic got steered towards the lawsuit Killing Joke instigated against Nirvana in '93 for stealing the guitar riff for "Come As You Are" from the KJ song "Eighties." One guy didn't know about the lawsuit and as I explained the short history of it, abruptly the tall guy turned and left. The other two guys are going "dude, you just pissed off Dave Grohl!" Heh.

perkana

#19 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:09 am

Even though that list was kinda cute and funny, I thought this was really fucked up...
Below is the contract that Foo Fighters' management company gave to our freelance photographer. If we signed it, we would have agreed to: the band approving the photos which run in the City Paper; only running the photos once and with only one article; and all copyrights would transfer to the band. Then, here's the fun part, the band would have "the right to exploit all or a part of the Photos in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, throughout the universe, in perpetuity, in all configurations" without any approval or payment or consideration for the photographer.
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... ocument/p1

That is exploitation of photographers, pure and simple. If a streaming music service tried to use the band's music for free, they'd have none of it. That's what the Taylor Swift-Apple blowup was about. But by signing that contract, the band could then use the creative work of our photographer in their future marketing materials or to resell them through their site.

But beyond that, we at the City Paper would be signing over editorial control to the band and their management company. And unless we get to pick the set list, that's never going to happen.

In a conversation with the band's management, City Paper was told that these types of contracts are "standard" and they "protect the band." But that's not even close to being true. The Rolling Stones, to name one huge act, aren't demanding newspapers sign over their pictures and the Stones are in the middle of selling out half of the stadiums in North America.

The great irony of all of this is that there will be tens of thousands of cameras in the audience at RFK in the form of smartphones, something that the band and its overzealous management company can't police.
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... -fighters/

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Dave Grohl's mom and Geddy Lee's mom at the FF show last night.

I like how they both have their comfy sandals on.. :lol:

Angry Canine

#21 Post by Angry Canine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:08 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Mescal wrote:Can anybody please tell me what the thing is with the Foo Fighters?
Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters was in Nirvana. The end.

Seriously, FF is the most generic meat and potatoes rock band. Even their best songs are basically forgettable. They're like Nickleback, only with lyrics that aren't horrible and without a singer who sounds like James Hetfield trying to take a shit.

I came of age during the whole Nirvana/grunge explosion and saw Nirvana live (I was a big fan)...but I've never understood the deal with the Foo Fighters. Then again, there's a lot of boring post-grunge music that Gen Y's loved.

Don't get me wrong...Dave Grohl seems like a super nice guy. But if that was my criteria for listening to music, I wouldn't listen to an asshole geniuses like Billy Corgan or Danzig (ok, former geniuses).
The first record was great I thought. That one was all Dave. Other than that I've just liked a few of the songs here and there, but Dave Grohl has always just came off as a cool as hell guy. So Foo Fighters shows just seem like they would be a hell of a time, and pretty much anyone in music might show up to jam with him. They're a band that I don't listen to their records that much, but would love to go to a show. As someone who has spent time in studios, the Sound City movie is just a great piece of work, and the Sonic Highways show was like a public service for musicians of all ages, especially young ones. Playing off Letterman forever really put a spotlight on him for older people.

Kurt Cobain did two great things when he refused to have Danny Peters as Nirvana's drummer. He kept Mudhoney intact, and put Dave Grohl in a position to become what he did.

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Audio not that great, but it's a feel good story.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/1 ... lp00000592

Dave Grohl Invites Fan To Play Drums At Foo Fighters Concert, Fan Nails It
The Huffington Post | By Ron Dicker
Posted: 07/13/2015 4:15 pm EDT Updated: 5 hours ago

How's this for a rock 'n' roll fantasy? You're at a Foo Fighters concert holding up a sign that says it's your birthday and you want to play drums. Frontman Dave Grohl takes you up on your offer.

You take the stage. You nail playing "Big Me." You are a rock 'n' roll star -- of the viral Internet variety, anyway.

It all happened to Anthony Bifolchi Thursday in Toronto.

And Bifolchi rocked, even after Grohl warned him in front of thousands, "If you suck on the drums, I will personally tar and feather your ass backstage." No pressure, right?

Happy birthday, Anthony.

nausearockpig

#23 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:10 pm

that's super fucking cool! He played on The Mentos Song! hahahahahha

nausearockpig

#24 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm sure you've all seen this by now, or this has been posted elsewhere but if not, this is so fucking cool:

Dave's response: