Metalhead Sisters from Mexico

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
chaos

Metalhead Sisters from Mexico

#1 Post by chaos » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:19 am

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-ente ... m_content=

Metalhead Sisters from Mexico Want to Rock Berklee’s Summer Program
They’ve taken to GoFundMe to crowdsource tuition.

By Chris Sweeney
April 8, 2015 9:00 a.m.

Three twisted sisters from Monterrey, Mexico, have set their sights on Boston and are trying to crowdsource enough cash to cover tuition and travel to one of Berklee College of Music’s prestigious summer programs.

Fifteen-year-old Daniela, 13-year-old Paulina, and 10-year-old Alejandra collectively make up the heavy-metal band “The Warning.” The sisters shred classic covers including Ozzy’s “Crazy Train,” AC/DC’s “Back in Black,” and Guns N’ Rose’s “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” The band has already achieved some notoriety on YouTube, where a video of them performing Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” has garnered nearly 1 million views in the past nine months.

So why Berklee? “Personally, I would like to be in an environment where I share the same love for music as other people,” Daniela explains in an interview for the GoFundMe campaign. “It would be awesome to be in an environment where they understand how hard we work and how we love what we do.”

Each sister has found inspiration in different rock legends. Drummer Paulina is a fan of Metallica’s Lars Ulrich and Rush’s Neil Peart, while Daniela, guitar and lead vocals, looks up to Queen guitarist and noted astrophysicist Brian May. As for 10-year-old bassist Alejandra: “I love Paul McCartney. I’ll actually, like, play with him or be as good as him someday.”

In true heavy-metal fashion, the girls aren’t willing to compromise when it comes to their priorities. “Always, it’s practicing before homework,” Daniela says in the video.

At the time of this writing, the girls have raised more than 10 grand. Visit the band’s GoFundMe page to learn more about their ambitions, and check out the YouTube channel to hear them rock.

perkana

Re: Metalhead Sisters from Mexico

#2 Post by perkana » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:03 pm

That article made my day yesterday. I really hope they do get the money.

perkana

#3 Post by perkana » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Update:
Mighty Girl sisters Daniela, Paulina, and Alejandra Villarreal from Monterrey, Mexico recently became an internet sensation when their cover video for Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” went viral with over 7 million views. Now, the girls, who are 15, 13, and 10 years old respectively, are taking their band, The Warning, to the next level. On Friday, these mighty musicians played live on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and they just signed a record deal with Victoria Records!

The sisters’ love of music started at a young age -- Daniela attended a music initiation camp at 5 and started piano lessons at 6, and her younger sisters were eager to join her. Each girl added a new instrument as they got older, and with Daniela on guitar, Paulina on drums, and Alejandra on electric bass, a rock trio was a natural evolution. They started uploading videos to YouTube to let family members watch their progress, but they never expected to go viral. Their “Enter Sandman” video even caught the attention of Kirk Hammett, Metallica’s lead guitarist who tweeted that "the drummer kicks maximum ass."

Victoria Morales-Kuhne, the owner and talent manager of Victoria Records, said that she was blown away when she watched them perform live. “I attended the show, sat on the front row and got chills the entire time,” Morales-Kuhne told Mic.com. “Their original music was incredible, everything I could ever hope for and more... I knew this was one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments when you're witnessing music history and music greatness, and if you're lucky in this industry, you run into one artist like The Warning once in your lifetime.”

Their EP was up on iTunes shortly after the record deal, and it features the girls’ own songwriting on all five tracks. The girls are putting the proceeds from their record sales, as well as additional funds from a crowdfunding campaign, towards covering their expenses to study this summer at the renowned Berklee College of Music in Massachusetts. Ellen DeGeneres also gave a big boost to their music studies when she presented each girl with a check for $10,000 on her show last week.

The girls are so grateful for all the encouragement and help they’ve gotten so far, from friends, neighbors, and the many people far and wide who have watched their videos. “The people who support us, they support us really well. They support us in every way that they can,” Paulina says. But what they’re most grateful for is the opportunity to make music with each other. As Alejandra explains, “The best thing is that you get to play with your sisters. They're your sisters -- you love them. So it's fun to be with them."

You can watch videos of these Mighty Girls playing on The Warning's website at http://www.thewarningband.com/videos/ -- and download their album, "Escape the Mind" on iTunes at http://apple.co/1Jw1la4

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:18 pm

perkana wrote:
Their “Enter Sandman” video even caught the attention of Kirk Hammett, Metallica’s lead guitarist who tweeted that "the drummer kicks maximum ass."

Yeah, she plays better than Lars

Mescal

#5 Post by Mescal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:20 pm

And btw, some Metallica trivia I just learnt.

They wanted to kick Lars out of the band around the time just before Cliff got killed.

When that happened, they didn't really felt like losing two founding members at the same time, so they kept him on board

MYXYLPLYX

#6 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:03 am

Mescal wrote:And btw, some Metallica trivia I just learnt.

They wanted to kick Lars out of the band around the time just before Cliff got killed.

When that happened, they didn't really felt like losing two founding members at the same time, so they kept him on board

Eh. as I understand it, that story has gotten blown way out of proportion... one drunken fight of many where something was brought up in anger that no one ever really considered doing, would probably be a more accurate statement.

Also, Cliff was not a founding member. Lars and James are the sole founding members, every one else replaced somebody else.

It's easy to bag on Lars, and for a long time I think he actively cultivated a reputation as the most hated man in metal.

But, he's never claimed to be a great drummer - he's a tennis player who taught himself to play drums. The most accurate statement I've heard to describe his style is "he's the best drummer for Metallica."

The one thing that gets constantly overlooked about Lars is that he has composed virtually every Metallica song ever. He may not write the riffs, but he arranges them. And it's largely his vision, for better or worse, that's shaped the band throughout the years.

I have no problem with heaping blame where deserved, but I think it's lame that folks simultaneously deny credit where due... :noclue:

Mescal

#7 Post by Mescal » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:15 am

I knew someone was gonna point out Cliff wasn’t really a founding member :bigrin:

http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking- ... in-the-80s

other than that I don’t really care

I think he’s an inventive drummer

clickie

#8 Post by clickie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:40 pm

You know what always impressed me. Dave Mustaine got kicked out of Metallica, but then he starts another world famous historic band after that.

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 pm

clickie wrote:You know what always impressed me. Dave Mustaine got kicked out of Metallica, but then he starts another world famous historic band after that.

Yeah but it's only one tenth as historic as Metallica.

And I'm sure he still hates them for it.

clickie

#10 Post by clickie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:27 pm

You'd think he could let it go and be satisfied with his own accomplishment.

Mescal

#11 Post by Mescal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:18 am

hah, easier said than done.

It's like being able to touch the stars but landing on the moon.

Any musician would be more than happy to be in a band like Megadeth. But if you could choose between Megadeth and Metallica ...

clickie

#12 Post by clickie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:06 am

Thats a tough call.