The Falklands

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

The Falklands

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 am

Soon to be the 30th anniversary and Kirchner's sticking her oar in again. Oooh, and because I hear 4 billion barrels of oil can be extracted from its waters. Obama doesn't care, the UN aren't going to do anything and she's trying to get the whole of South America involved now?

It just so happens we've sent a state of the art battleship down and the future king of England. How long before this kicks off again?

Larry B.

Re: The Falklands

#2 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:58 am

Yup... I don't know if you remember, but I created a thread a few months ago because this shit was starting to cook again, and now it's been escalating and escalating.

Since most (if not all) of the South American governments are officially supporting Argentina's cause, apparently Chile will forbid civilian flights to the island from Chile.

The UK has said that sovereignty is always subject to the vote of the island's inhabitants and that they're free to choose if they want the island to be the UK's or Argentina's.

In Chile, there are two positions:

1.- Latin America shouldn't have any foreign territories, and one of the last of that kind is the Falklands, so every country in Latin America must align and do whatever is needed so that the Falklands become the Malvinas and finally they're fully Argentinian.

2.- Argentina should go fuck themselves: historically they've been trying to fuck with Chile and to take control of the Patagonia. During a somewhat recent Ecuador vs. Colombia armed conflict, Argentina was officially supporting Ecuador but secretly sold weapons to Colombia. It might have been that they supported Colombia and sold weapons to Ecuador, but you get the idea. And when Chile was at war with Peru and Bolivia, Argentina was hinting at joining forces with them. When Brazil said 'if Argentina attacks Chile we will be forced to repel such attack to our ally', they backed down. So, fuck them. And let's help the British.

Me... I dislike Kirchner. She's a fucking thief and a corrupt bitch. I have a soft spot for the southern part of Argentina, even though I've never been there. And I have a huge soft spot for the UK. I just wish they settle things without engaging in a full-scale war, although unfortunately a war might be just what the Argentinian government needs to justify the theft loss of millions of dollars, to rebuild the Argentinian economy and to increase popular support.

Bandit72

#3 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 am

Intersting... I don't think they give a flying fuck about the Falklands, they're in financial turmoil and must see the oil as a way out.

Only three weeks ago over here we has some argentinian pilot meeting the british guy who shot him out of the sky in 1982 and they were all hugs and kisses.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:47 am

Oh, and I don't know if you or the British population are aware of this (the Argentinian government doesn't like it, for sure), but just as many veterans in the US, Argentinian veterans from the war for the Falkland/Malvinas have spent years protesting because they feel abandoned by the Argentinian government. They don't march nor picket to demonstrate. What do they do? They LIVE in Plaza de Mayo, the main square, the one right in front of the Palace of Government. Groups of veterans (and their families) take turns and they've been occupying part of the Plaza de Mayo for 4 or 5 years, I think. Could be more than that. The government, of course, doesn't listen.

I had no idea there was oil in/near the Falklands. It makes a little more sense to try to fight for them, but I wouldn't say that's Argentina's main reason. The Falklands are a symbol. If they take the Falklands, there would be a very significant before and after in the history of Argentina.

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:00 am

I'm not sure why they don't just play nice and maybe in another 30 years or so they could have won over the actual people who live there. All this sabre-rattling just hardens opinions against them...rightly so.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 am

Bandit72 wrote:I'm not sure why they don't just play nice and maybe in another 30 years or so they could have won over the actual people who live there. All this sabre-rattling just hardens opinions against them...rightly so.
:nod: Exactly.

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 am

can you recognize certain flag? :heart:

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Argentina has accused Great Britain of sending a nuclear-armed submarine into the South Atlantic in violation of an international treaty, deepening the territorial dispute over the Falkland Islands.
The Latin America and the Caribbean region is designated a nuclear-free zone under a treaty signed in the 1960s.

In response, Britain's UN envoy Mark Lyall Grant said the government does not comment on the "disposition of nuclear weapons, submarines etc".
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... es-to-lat/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16993391

I really, really, REALLY hope Argentina is just making this up. We don't want fucking nuclear weapons in Latin America.

sinep

#9 Post by sinep » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 am

Larry B. wrote:Image

can you recognize certain flag? :heart:
i've never supported them, and i never will.

kv

#10 Post by kv » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:39 am

now that this iraq shit and the such as can we just fucking throw a nuke larrys way so he can have his 2012 shit and i can laugh my [ASS] off?

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 am

I'd still win my bet, which is what matters the most anyway. I'd die a winner.

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 am

WHAT a complete twat.

"I urge my fellow thespians to read the newspaper and then regurgitate the information as their own opinions." He seems pretty nervy in this speech, not exactly full of conviction...could this...could it be...could Kirchner have promised him assurances on Haiti as long as he flys their flag on the Falklands issue? What a prize bell cheese.

Bandit72

#13 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:08 am

The Falklands are almost 500 miles from Argentina...if they basing their claim on proximity then the likes of Uraguay, Paraguay and Chile should all be shitting it...because the entire territory of each of those nations falls within this magical limit. It is well, well beyond Argentina's territorial waters. Argentina has scoffed about us being 'Colonialist' however Argentina is populated by people who 'claimed' it thousands of miles away from Spain...they also decimated the native population in the process.

1) The islands have never had a native population.

2) Argentina is a modern European construct. The result of Spanish colonisation, its no more a historical country than the Falklands. The Spanish didn't even extend Argentine territory into Patagonia until the 1870s so the country's borders were much further north.

Larry B.

#14 Post by Larry B. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:49 am

Yeah, this Argentinean claim is full of bullshit arguments.

The concept with which I agree is that it would be lovely if Latin America didn't have any colonies left. But as you stated, the Falklands don't quite qualify as a colony...

In the personal view of a Latin American, I can say that foreign invasions and massacres of Latin American indigenous inhabitants (mainly by the Spanish, Portuguese and British) and posterior settlements, DID qualify as colonies. And those are long gone by now. Whereas, in the Falklands there were no inhabitants. Basically, people sailed there and claimed it. To me, that's 'fair game'. Sure, it's closer to Argentina than it is to the UK, but why is that supposed to matter? It would be similar to saying that Anguilla belongs to Puerto Rico.

The Falklands are a self-governing territory. Most of them don't even feel British, but Falkland Islanders. I was thinking about this yesterday, and I thought that it would be cool if Latin America finally accepted the Falklands as a separate nation and respected it that way. Of course, that's not going to happen. The Bolivarian dream has been tainted and worn down by so many presidents and leaders, that Latin America has been brainwashed into rejecting the possibility that an English-speaking country inhabits South America. Many people forget that this is ONE big continent, called America, in which people speak Spanish, English, Portuguese, French and hundreds of local dialects. And Latin America doesn't have the balls to demand the Spanish, French, Portuguese and British to compensate us for the total annihilation of our ancestors and limitless theft of our riches, but we take action against the ONE settlement that didn't have to murder any aborigine? Fuck that.

Latin America is a mixed culture, and a big portion of the locals just can't seem to accept it. Many Argentinians say 'hey, let's kick those fucking Europeans out of here! it was our grandfathers' land, our fathers' land and it is OUR land!'. Good going, Mr. Perucci, Mr. Francetti, Mrs. Cerutti and an endless line of Italian last names. I say... dude, our local ancestors are gone. Most of them, anyway. They were raped and murdered during 350 years. But we're a fucking mixed race, accept it. There's no shame in having aborigine blood and European blood. If we're going to talk about 'taking back what's ours', the Falklands are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in the line of priorities. It was never ours to begin with.

I would like to see if this conflict will lead to countries talking about their claims in Antarctica.

Bandit72

#15 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 am

If we're going to talk about 'taking back what's ours', the Falklands are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in the line of priorities. It was never ours to begin with.
Exactly. British people have lived on the Falkland Islands for over 2 centuries. They aren't even that close to Argentina (750KM East) so the proximity claim is bollocks. In 1982 an Argentine fascist military dictatorship invaded the islands and were repelled by a British liberation force weeks later. This defeat brought down the dictatorship who murdered thousands of their own people. What short memories these people have.