Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
ellis

Discuss...

#1 Post by ellis » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 am

Mescal

Re: Discuss...

#2 Post by Mescal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 am

Yep indeed.

My girlfriend is a teacher in high school.

Parents don't have time for their kids and expect the teacher to raise their kids for them.

chaos

#3 Post by chaos » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:50 am

:lol:

There is some noise that the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality is losing steam.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/ ... n-the-rise
Five shifts among college freshmen: For one, they're more studious
College freshmen report more behaviors and attitudes that predict academic success than they did in recent years, according to a new national survey by the Higher Education Research Institute (HERI) at the University of California, Los Angeles. The survey also shows shifts in political views, use of social media, and strategies for paying for college. (See the full survey here.)
Here are five ways behaviors and attitudes have changed among first-time, full-time students at four-year colleges and universities.

1. Academics on the rise

Studying during senior year of high school is on the rise, with 39.5 of survey respondents saying they did so for more than six hours a week, up from 34.7 percent in 2009. The percentage taking notes frequently during class in their senior year also rose, from 66.5 percent to 69.2 percent. About 1 of 5 (21.7 percent) took five or more college-level AP courses during their high school years, up from 18.7 percent.

“These academic behaviors in high school do make a difference in terms of first-year retention [of college students] and [their] degree completion,” says Linda DeAngelo, a co-author of the report and HERI’s assistant director for research.

Nearly half of college freshmen (48.8 percent) expect there’s a very good chance they’ll discuss course content with fellow students outside of class, up from 46.5 percent in 2009. That’s an indicator of active rather than passive learning, Ms. DeAngelo says, and it means students are not only more likely to finish college, but also to develop “the skills needed for lifelong learning.”

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Mescal wrote:Yep indeed.

My girlfriend is a teacher in high school.

Parents don't have time for their kids and expect the teacher to raise their kids for them.
The flip side is my (son's) experience which is that it appears a significant number of public school teachers imo are simply not educated or intelligent enough to teach or are just plain lazy or all the above.

Probably the most offensive example was when I questioned one teacher a couple years ago why at first she wasn't sending any homework home and later, was giving homework that was clearly several grades below his grade level as well as poorly 2nd hand photocopied work from pages clearly pulled off the internet - "I have been swamped with night classes for my MA and haven't had a lot of time to review every student's individual homework needs..." Really. WTF. Not only did that not make much sense, but she was dumb enough to tell me that in a documented e-mail correspondence which pissed my wife off enough to go to the Principle and later, to the District Superintendent. Needless to say, our son's been in a private school the past 2 years with much better results.

MYXYLPLYX

#5 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah, many friends and family in the business of teaching, and I hear those stories endlessly. I also worked as a substitute teacher on the side for several years and experienced my fair share of aggravation.

The punch line is that the single most important factor in student success is parent involvement. Every single study ever done has borne that fact out in every imaginable way. Obviously, some will differ on what the proper role of an involved parent should be...

I do believe that a parent needs to be an advocate in their child's education. The real problem in the cartoon is not necessarily parents defending their child to a teacher, but clueless/ignorant parents blindly attacking a teacher when they've not been involved at all with his education prior to being called on the carpet to answer for little Johnny's fuckups. :balls:

That's the scenario I hear most often that really pisses off the teachers I know - when the parents come in with a head of steam ready to tear the teacher a new one for having the temerity to give their precious little special and unique child a poor grade only to have the teacher calmly outline exactly while their stupid kid is failing - usually involving exposing a web of lies woven by their dumbass brat. :banghead:

MYXYLPLYX

#6 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Needless to say, our son's been in a private school the past 2 years with much better results.
There are some outstanding private schools, but one certainly has to do their homework before selecting one. I know some folks who will simply mindlessly parrot the old "I would never send my child to a public school!" when in fact they send their kid to a shitty private school that consistently scored lower than the nearby public option. :noclue:

It's important to remember that private schools aren't required to have credentialed teachers... obviously the good ones do, but I have heard some horror stories. Hell, I know a dude from high school, dumb as fuck, actually a convicted felon, who last I heard was teaching 4th grade at a private school because the headmaster was a family friend. I mean, this guy had at best completed a couple junior college classes and even that was largely because his girlfriend did his work for him. :confused: :no:

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm

I once had a first-year university student who did poorly on a test ask me if she could ask her parents to call the university (over the prof's head) to do something about the mark. I said "No, that makes no sense, just talk to the prof." So she did and he obviously did not want to get involved in a bureaucratic hassle, so he gave her an A. :jasper:

Profs often ignore plagiarism for similar reasons (because it's in university admin's interests to look the other way so there's no official record of how pervasive it is, since they're catering to their customers... the parents).

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 pm

A friend of mine was teaching economics at a university and had this really horrible, lazy student. By the second month my friend had already decided to fail him at the end of the year. Right after the final exam, my friend receives this e-mail from this student:

'hey prof, care to help me out with my grade? i'll transfer you some nice cash! let me know'.

He didn't accept the offer nor did he do anything about this incident.

A few months later he was fucking a student repeatedly.

My friend is an asshole.

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Larry B. wrote:A friend of mine was teaching economics at a university and had this really horrible, lazy student. By the second month my friend had already decided to fail him at the end of the year. Right after the final exam, my friend receives this e-mail from this student:

'hey prof, care to help me out with my grade? i'll transfer you some nice cash! let me know'.

He didn't accept the offer nor did he do anything about this incident.

A few months later he was fucking a student repeatedly.

My friend is an asshole.
At least he didn't fuck the cash offer guy in the ass. :noclue: