In Protest Of Anti-Piracy Bill, Wiki To Go Dark

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: In Protest Of Anti-Piracy Bill, Wiki To Go Dark

#21 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:59 pm

sinep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:A student plagiarized me this year because I wrote the wikipedia article on the thing she was supposed to write a paper on. It was hilarious and sad.
i always wondered who what type of person would be sad and lonely enough to spend time writing a wikipedia article.
The kind who is an expert in an area that has a shitty article on Wikipedia, and who also thought it would be funny if his students copied and pasted his words in their essays without knowing it, and they did, so it was worth it.

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
sinep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:A student plagiarized me this year because I wrote the wikipedia article on the thing she was supposed to write a paper on. It was hilarious and sad.
i always wondered who what type of person would be sad and lonely enough to spend time writing a wikipedia article.
The kind who is an expert in an area that has a shitty article on Wikipedia, and who also thought it would be funny if his students copied and pasted his words in their essays without knowing it, and they did, so it was worth it.
i must admit...i may have done dome plagiarizing in college. this was before google searches so i could get away with it.

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:03 pm

creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
sinep wrote:
i must admit...i may have done dome plagiarizing in college. this was before google searches so i could get away with it.
You may have had shitty TAs or profs who didn't give a shit, too. It's painfully easy to tell when writing is above a student's level. Out of 100 students we had 4 or 5 really obvious cases. The tricky cases are the ones where they pay someone to write the paper for them.

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
sinep wrote:
You may have had shitty TAs or profs who didn't give a shit, too. It's painfully easy to tell when writing is above a student's level. Out of 100 students we had 4 or 5 really obvious cases. The tricky cases are the ones where they pay someone to write the paper for them.
as an econ major most of my papers were filled with facts and data and shit like that. you could easily lift a few sentences. there wasn't much creative writing involved.

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 pm

creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
sinep wrote:
as an econ major most of my papers were filled with facts and data and shit like that. you could easily lift a few sentences. there wasn't much creative writing involved.
There shouldn't be any creative writing in my classes either. You'd be surprised how different undergraduate writing is from good technical (non-creative) writing. Philosophers are notoriously bad writers, generally... but there's a huge difference between a clear expression of a difficult thought, and an undergraduate A+ attempt to convey a clear thought. Generally, if your paper has zero grammar/spelling/typo mistakes in it, you're probably going to get at least a B. :lol:

Jasper

#26 Post by Jasper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 am

The anti-script, anti-ad, anti-super-cookie stuff I run somehow prevented me from seeing the wikipedia black out. Wikipedia functioned normally for me. The thing is, I wanted to see the blackout, so I had to open a different browser to enjoy the protest.

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 am

Jasper wrote:The anti-script, anti-ad, anti-super-cookie stuff I run somehow prevented me from seeing the wikipedia black out. Wikipedia functioned normally for me. The thing is, I wanted to see the blackout, so I had to open a different browser to enjoy the protest.
Yeah. I noticed they didn't actually take down the pages (that would be insane, given the way pages have to propagate to be accessible), but just overlayed the "blackout" page overtop. You could easily get rid of it with Ad Block+, or a Greasemonkey script, or just view cached pages on Google.

The 60+ year old legislators really have no idea what they're talking about. :lol:

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Duff McKagan weighs in on this topic and while he's struck me as a fairly intelligent guy in the past, he completely misses the mark on this one:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... and_pi.php

Hype

#29 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Duff McKagan weighs in on this topic and while he's struck me as a fairly intelligent guy in the past, he completely misses the mark on this one:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... and_pi.php
He contradicts himself completely.
Should the government be able to shut down Facebook because one user posts a link to copyrighted content? Of course not.
Exactly. That's why people are "wining" about SOPA and PIPA, Duff.