Falkland/Malvinas conflict

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Larry B.

Falkland/Malvinas conflict

#1 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:13 am

So, ports in Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Brazil aren't letting in ships with the Falkland Island flag, supporting the sovereignty claim of Argentina.

I was wondering if this is news anywhere aside from the Southern Cone?

Bandit72

Re: Falkland/Malvinas conflict

#2 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:02 am

Larry B. wrote:So, ports in Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Brazil aren't letting in ships with the Falkland Island flag, supporting the sovereignty claim of Argentina.

No news hear. That war in '82 is the first I remember.

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:59 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:So, ports in Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Brazil aren't letting in ships with the Falkland Island flag, supporting the sovereignty claim of Argentina.

No news hear. That war in '82 is the first I remember.
Yup, 1982. This new conflict is mild news here... yesterday, the Chilean President said that the Argentinian President had started lobbying to make Chile stop allowing incoming flights from the Falkland Islands. There's been no official request, he said, but he highlighted that the Chilean government supports the sovereignty claim of Argentina; however, he mentioned, he thinks this should be solved with bilateral talks.

Chile supported England during the war in 1982 (Pinochet and Thatcher got along pretty well).

erotic cheeses

#4 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:23 pm

pinochet and thatcher were cast from the same mold both bastards without scruples

it is news over here cannot see it going beyond ridiculous posturing though

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 am

As of today, Chile is also forbidding the entrance of ships with the Falklands flag. The basis is that countries member of the Mercosur consider the territory to be Argentina's and that the flag is illegal.

No idea how this could affect relations between Chile and the UK; however, so far Chile hasn't been too strong with their posture: it was more like "you know, we HAVE to oppose because we're part of this group, but we really don't wanna".