Scientists Discover 'Earth's Twin Planet'

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

Scientists Discover 'Earth's Twin Planet'

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:12 am

Exciting stuff. I wish I was to live long enough to see what it's all about. If they have a bigger telescope are they seeing us in the year 1411? :know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16040655
During the conference at which the result was announced, the Kepler team also said that it had spotted some 1,094 new candidate planets - nearly doubling the telescope's haul of potential far-flung worlds.

Kepler 22-b was one of 54 exoplanet candidates in habitable zones reported by the Kepler team in February, and is just the first to be formally confirmed using other telescopes.

More of these "Earth 2.0" candidates are likely to be confirmed in the near future, though a redefinition of the habitable zone's boundaries has brought that number down to 48. Ten of those are Earth-sized.
http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16124448

Larry B.

Re: Scientists Discover 'Earth's Twin Planet'

#2 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 am

Nice :thumb:

It would be awesome that somehow they discover that that planet is actually Earth, maybe from 2000 years into the future. There isn't a trace of humans and the planet is dominated by Axolotls.

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 am

Larry B. wrote:Nice :thumb:

It would be awesome that somehow they discover that that planet is actually Earth, maybe from 2000 years into the future. There isn't a trace of humans and the planet is dominated by Axolotls.
You might actually be retarded. :confused: :lol:

But yeah Bandit, light from Earth hitting the planet right now is from somewhere around then. So they could see late medieval Europe, or Ming China, if the data (light or radiation of some other kind) weren't corrupted by the distance. I suspect it is.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote: I suspect it is.

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:14 am

:lol:

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 am

:lol:

I googled them earlier as I didn't know what they were.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:35 am

Bandit72 wrote::lol:

Neotony is cool. It has been argued that we are neotonic apes. That definitely explains Larry B. :nod:

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Neotony is cool. It has been argued that we are neotonic apes. That definitely explains Larry B. :nod:
Wikipedia wrote:These are neotenous traits in humans: flattened face, broadened face, large brain, hairless body, hairless face, small nose, reduction of brow ridge, small teeth, small upper jaw (maxilla), small lower jaw (mandible), epicanthic eye fold (present in all people in the embryonic stage), thinness of skull bones, limbs proportionately short compared to torso length, longer leg than arm length, larger eyes, and upright stance
Hairless body = NO
Hairless face = NO
Epicanthic eye fold = NO
Thinness of skull bones = NO
Limbs proportionately short compared to torso length = NO! (really??? some people's arms are shorter than their torsos?)

To balance out, relative to Caucasoids I have longer eyelashes... although that might be included in the "hairless face = no" category.

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:36 am

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:These are neotenous traits in humans: flattened face, broadened face, large brain, hairless body, hairless face, small nose, reduction of brow ridge, small teeth, small upper jaw (maxilla), small lower jaw (mandible), epicanthic eye fold (present in all people in the embryonic stage), thinness of skull bones, limbs proportionately short compared to torso length, longer leg than arm length, larger eyes, and upright stance
Hairless body = NO
Hairless face = NO
Epicanthic eye fold = NO
Thinness of skull bones = NO
Limbs proportionately short compared to torso length = NO! (really??? some people's arms are shorter than their torsos?)

To balance out, relative to Caucasoids I have longer eyelashes... although that might be included in the "hairless face = no" category.
I meant it explains your attraction to underage females.

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

:hs:

:crazy:

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 pm

It was a bad joke. Now it's even worse. Carry on. :banana:

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Yes. Let's get back to the fact that they think we're in the 15 century, but we all know we're not. So they're in with Columbus discovering America in 1492 whilst we're in 2011 discovering a planet 600 light years away who think we still have Da Vinci painting masterpieces.

HEADFUCK

Hype

#13 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Yes. Let's get back to the fact that they think we're in the 15 century, but we all know we're not. So they're in with Columbus discovering America in 1492 whilst we're in 2011 discovering a planet 600 light years away who think we still have Da Vinci painting masterpieces.

HEADFUCK
No... it really isn't. You're not looking directly at the object, you're looking at light emitted by it across a vast distance.

E.g., the moon as you see it is how it was 3 seconds prior, the Sun, as it was 8 minutes prior... etc.

Assuming life on such a planet is able to observe us, they're probably better versed in the laws of nature than we are, since we can't observe them yet.

You've reminded me of a favourite quotation...
Hence any one who seeks for the true causes of miracles, and strives to understand natural phenomena as an intelligent being, and not to gaze at them like a fool, is set down and denounced as an impious heretic by those, whom the masses adore as the interpreters of nature and the gods. Such persons know that, with the removal of ignorance, the wonder which forms their only available means for proving and preserving their authority would vanish also.