Calexit

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Calexit

#1 Post by chaos » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:24 am

I know there have been rumblings throughout the years about CA seceding, and I thought it will never happen. I still think that, but my judgment has been off lately when it comes to political outcomes. :lol: So Californians, what is your perspective? Although it is unlikely that CA would receive the blessing from all 49 states, are we in store for a wave of mayhem? Remember, I live in a metropolitan, east coast bubble. :lol:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californians ... 00544.html

Californians might vote in 2018 on taking steps toward secession in a 'Calexit'
Melia Robinson,Business Insider 18 hours ago

In 2018, the issue of whether California should secede from the union could come to a head.

Yes California Independence Campaign, a fringe political group that calls for the state to become an independent nation, filed a proposed ballot measure with the Attorney General's Office on November 21, The Sacramento Bee reports.

If it garners the half a million signatures required to appear on the 2018 gubernatorial ballot, the measure would strike language from the state constitution that would help clear a path to secession.

Still, a state holds no right to secede under federal law. Californians would need to pass an amendment to the US Constitution, which requires the blessings of the other 49 states.

The measure would also survey voters on whether a "Calexit" is something that interests them. If a clear majority declares their support for a Brexit-style departure, the state would hold a special election in March 2019 asking voters again if they want California to secede.

In a recent interview with Business Insider, Louis Marinelli, president of Yes California, described the plans as a "double opt-in" process.

Far-fetched as it may sound, Calexit started gathering steam as Californians came to terms with a Donald Trump presidency on November 9. The campaign became a nationwide social media trend in a matter of hours, but has since fizzled.

The movement initially found an impressive backer in Shervin Pishevar, a well-known angel investor. He took to Twitter on election night urging California to become its own nation and offering to bankroll a secession campaign. Pishevar has since walked back those claims.

Marcus Ruiz Evans, Yes California Independence Campaign, calexit
(Marcus Ruiz Evans, vice president of Yes California Independence Campaign, talks to passersby about California succeeding from the US outside the state capitol building in Sacramento, California.Rich Pedroncelli/AP)

Yes California isn't giving up hope. It knows first-hand the challenges that lie ahead.

In 2015, Marinelli paid $200 each to get nine initiatives related to secession on a statewide ballot, according to The Los Angeles Times. None garnered the nearly 400,000 signatures necessary to appear on the ballot. So Marinelli and his followers were forced to start over.

The difference this time is that Trump is headed to the White House, Marinelli said.

"I think that we've seen — in my lifetime — a gradual, but steady deterioration of the system and the health of the republic, basically. I think that at one point or another, it's going to crumble," Marinelli said. "I think a lot of Californians just came to that realization."

Marinelli warns that if the American public could vote a controversial nominee such as Trump into office, the presidential candidates who follow will push the envelope again.

"Who are they going to elect next time? I think the people in California would certainly not like to find out, personally," Marinelli said. "So, let's get out of that system so we can elect fair-minded, rational politicians to office."

In the unlikely event Californians vote to approve the ballot measure put forth by Yes California, the state would repeal one important sentence from the California Constitution. It reads, "The State of California is an inseparable part of the United States of America, and the United States Constitution is the supreme law of the land."

For the special election in 2019 to be valid, at least 50% of the state's registered voters must participate and more than 55% must vote "yes," according to the measure's text.

Even so, it would be incredibly difficult for California to pull off a Calexit.

kv

Re: Calexit

#2 Post by kv » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Complete fucking stupidity

It is not even a possibility...just a complete and total waste of time...how exactly is a state near bankruptcy gonna come up with their share of the national debt to leave? That would be well over a trillion dollars... :dunce:

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:22 pm

when texas was talking about seceding when obama was elected everyone from the left talked shit.

it's all so stupid

there has also been a movement in northern california to add a 51st state called jefferson.

another thing that will never happen.

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:51 pm

There was talk(not serious) of California joining Canada along with Washington and Oregon. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm

i can see you wanting washington and oregon. why would anyone want california?

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:25 pm

kv wrote:Complete fucking stupidity

It is not even a possibility...just a complete and total waste of time...how exactly is a state near bankruptcy gonna come up with their share of the national debt to leave? That would be well over a trillion dollars... :dunce:
Exactly my thoughts. People pushing this are completely disconnected from reality.

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:43 am

Maybe Ca, Or and Wa could become part of Mexico? Then he'd have to build his stupid wall all the way up the west too.

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:02 am

Artemis wrote:There was talk(not serious) of California joining Canada along with Washington and Oregon. :lol:

What's with the Seattle Times using a completely wonky map of Canada's provinces? That's not what Saskatchewan and Manitoba look like. I guess it's not a big deal because no one lives there, but it's odd... where did they get the map that they started with?

SR

#9 Post by SR » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:09 am

and using the scale it's almost 5000 miles to the east coast from LA. Source:ESRI

nausearockpig

#10 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:53 pm

creep wrote:i can see you wanting washington and oregon. why would anyone want california?
Beaches?