The Republican Convention July 18-21

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Re: The Republican Convention July 18-21

#21 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:38 pm

I missed the festivities, and just tuned in about 20 minutes ago. I caught the tail end of Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn's spiel on American exceptionalism. Senator Joni Ernst (the hog castrator) is on now. I stopped watching when she said "there are ISIS terrorists in every one of our fifty states."

Pandemonium wrote: I wonder if Christie is going to speak or even attend considering he rolled the dice and hitched his wagon to the Trump-mobile early on only to be snubbed when Trump picked Captain Unknown as his VP running mate.
He is scheduled for primetime tomorrow night.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republic ... d=40388577

So, how was the Duck Dynasty guy? And where is Ted Nugent? :lol:

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /87278088/

Section of Melania Trump speech raises plagiarism charge
Cooper Allen, USA TODAY 12:36 a.m. EDT July 19, 2016

Melania Trump speaks during the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland on July 18, 2016. (Photo: Robert Deutsch, USA TODAY)
CLEVELAND — Melania Trump's speech Monday seemed to go off without a hitch.

But shortly after the opening night of the Republican National Convention concluded, a few observers noted that a small portion of her remarks were remarkably similar to a passage from first lady Michelle Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention eight years earlier in Denver.

Here's the excerpt from Obama in 2008:

"And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them.

"And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and to pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

And here's the passage from Trump's remarks Monday night that drew the attention of Vox and others:

"My parents impressed on me the value of that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. Show the values and morals in in the daily life. That is the lesson that we continue to pass on to our son.

"We need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in these nations to know that the only limit to your achievement is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

While it's not entirely a verbatim match, the two sections bear considerable similarity in wording, construction and themes. This certainly could have been an inadvertent mistake on the part of a Trump campaign speechwriter, but at least on social media late Monday and early Tuesday morning, it was already diverting attention from Melania Trump's introduction on the national stage.

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 pm

The Duck Dynasty guy was pretty brief. I only remember thinking that his beard is gross and could use some grooming. :lol:

In other convention news...

It appears that Melania lifted part of her speech from Michelle Obama from 2008!

Michelle Obama, 2008
Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them. And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation.
Melania Trump, 2016
From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life: that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son, and we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow.

EDIT: chaos and I posted the exact same thing at the same time - jinx!

chaos

#24 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 pm

I have a feeling quite a few people will be called losers tomorrow by The Donald. :lol:

chaos

#25 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 pm

@Artemis - Great minds . . . :lol:

chaos

#26 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:10 pm

It is going to be difficult to blame a staffer for the speech since Melania claims to have written it herself.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/melania- ... d=40690121

The Trumps met with Matt Lauer, of the "Today Show," on their plane before arriving at the convention center in Cleveland and Melania Trump said that she worked on the speech herself.

“I read once over it but that’s all because I wrote it with [as] little help as possible,” she said in the interview, a clip of which was released in light of the comparisons.

Tyler Durden

#27 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:37 am

chaos

#28 Post by chaos » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Chris Christie is speaking: Hillary is the Antichrist and everything in the world is her fault. :eyes:

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm

i never knew trump had a daughter named tiffany. she is an odd one.

following her was a someone that works at trump winery.

i'm getting bored :bored:

Artemis

#30 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:26 pm

"Vote your conscience." Ted Cruz RNC 2016

I love that he didn't endorse Trump tonight. :lol:

SR

#31 Post by SR » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Pence is an effective exegete. Used properly, he's going to be a highly effective political darling

chaos

#32 Post by chaos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:54 pm

:lol:

Artemis

#33 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:55 am

SR wrote:Pence is an effective exegete. Used properly, he's going to be a highly effective political darling
Yeah, his speech was quite good. I had never heard of him prior to the VP announcement. I think Pence was a good choice as a running mate;he's the foil to Trump for sure.

SR

#34 Post by SR » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:42 am

Artemis wrote:
SR wrote:Pence is an effective exegete. Used properly, he's going to be a highly effective political darling
Yeah, his speech was quite good. I had never heard of him prior to the VP announcement. I think Pence was a good choice as a running mate;he's the foil to Trump for sure.

Creepy air man kiss, especially considering it's target. :jasper:

Artemis

#36 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for the links. Pence sound horrible. I didn't realise he was the guy who proposed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. :jasper:

Pandemonium

#37 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:59 pm

SR wrote:
Creepy air man kiss, especially considering it's target. :jasper:[/quote]

Aww, he was just trying to suck out Pence's eyeball.

tvrec

#38 Post by tvrec » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Artemis wrote:

Pence's speech was the only one I heard through & through, as I was driving at the time. I found it vague, filled with platitudes, fear mongering, and clearly pandering, even if his presentation is more palatable than Trump's (and it is). Obviously vacuous speeches are a thing at conventions so Pence doesn't need to be singled out for that. But Melania's partially cribbed speech was stronger in substance than Pence's. The only reason Pence looks halfway decent is by standing beside the real shit-show, Trump.

Romeo

#39 Post by Romeo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:56 am

creep wrote:i never knew trump had a daughter named tiffany. she is an odd one.

she was the grand prize from his Marla Maples affair before the wedding. If I remember correctly she was the flower girl at her parents nuptials at the Plaza

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Romeo wrote:

she was the grand prize from his Marla Maples affair before the wedding. If I remember correctly she was the flower girl at her parents nuptials at the Plaza
then i heard yesterday he has another son named baron. will i discover a new trump kid tomorrow?

Artemis

#41 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:53 pm

creep wrote:
Romeo wrote:

then i heard yesterday he has another son named baron. will i discover a new trump kid tomorrow?
Baron is his kid with Melania.

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
Romeo wrote:

Baron is his kid with Melania.
just naming your kid baron is a good enough reason not to vote for that guy

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:31 am

I've only just seen this. Blimey, were there any decent candidates for the presidency? :conf:

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 am

"Elanor, why don't you say something to get him going?" :boobs: :lolol: