Those school loans.......

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Those school loans.......

#21 Post by mockbee » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:There are as many "entitled millenials" are there were "entitled Gen-Xers" and "entitled Boomers". In fact, there were almost certainly MORE "entitled Boomers" since they are simply a larger group of people. The "entitled youth" trope has been trotted out since there have been people of different ages coexisting (so, forever), and it's as stupid and implausible as all the other crass generalizations used to write off or disenfranchise groups of human beings.

There have been many, many, many articles in the last decade going back and forth between the standard conservative line: "The young people aren't doing things the way we did them, so something must be wrong!" and responses to the effect of: "Yeah, but .. uh... that's what always happens... different people do different things."
Are you trying to tell me something? :hs: :hehe:

I agree. You would have to admit the author comes across as entitled though, whether he was a boomer or a millenial. :noclue:

Hippies were the worst.............er the same...........yeah, I can totally imagine being in SF in the late 60s and going wtf is wrong with these young people. They did make a mess. But, I guess from a personal perpective, I don't understand the "cause" of the millenials. Hippies were actively against war, actively for civil rights, actively for free love and self sufficiency. That was the general glob of stuff that made history, not saying they were successful, smart or moral, just that's what I got from it.

Can you tell me what the millenials are "for" or "against" or is it to soon? And if they are like all other generations, there has to be something.......? :noclue:

Wait a minute, there are more millenials than boomers. They all had kidsss...... :confused:

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... y-boomers/

JANUARY 16, 2015
This year, Millennials will overtake Baby Boomers
BY RICHARD FRY

This year, the “Millennial” generation is projected to surpass the outsized Baby Boom generation as the nation’s largest living generation, according to the population projections released by the U.S. Census Bureau last month. Millennials (whom we define as between ages 18 to 34 in 2015) are projected to number 75.3 million, surpassing the projected 74.9 million Boomers (ages 51 to 69). The Gen X population (ages 35 to 50 in 2015) is projected to outnumber the Boomers by 2028.

The Millennial generation continues to grow as young immigrants expand their ranks. Boomers – a generation defined by the boom in U.S. births following World War II — are older and shrinking in size as the number of deaths exceed the number of older immigrants arriving in the country.

Generations are analytical constructs and it takes time for popular and expert consensus to develop as to the precise boundaries demarcating one generation from another. The Pew Research Center has established that the oldest “Millennial” was born in 1981. The Center continues to assess demographic, attitudinal and other evidence on habits and culture that will help to establish when the youngest “Millennial” was born or even when a new generation begins. To distill the implications of the census numbers for generational heft, this analysis assumes that the youngest “Millennial” was born in 1997.

Here’s a look at some generational projections:

Millennials

The Census Bureau projects that the Millennial population was 74.8 million in 2014. By 2015 Millennials will increase in size to 75.3 million and become the biggest group.
With immigration adding more numbers to its group than any other, the Millennial population is projected to peak in 2036 at 81.1 million. Thereafter the oldest Millennial will be at least 56 years of age and mortality is projected to outweigh net immigration. By 2050 there will be a projected 79.2 million Millennials.

Generation X

For a few more years, Gen Xers are projected to remain the “middle child” of generations – caught between two larger generations of the Millennials and the Boomers. They are smaller than Millennials because the generational span of Gen X (16 years) is shorter than the Millennials (17 years). Also, the Gen Xers were born during a period when Americans were having fewer children than later decades. When Gen Xers were born, births averaged around 3.4 million per year, compared with the 3.9 million annual rate during the 1980s and 1990s when Millennials were born.
Though the oldest Gen Xer is now 50, the Gen X population will still grow for a few more years. The Gen X population is projected to outnumber the Boomers in 2028 when there will be 64.6 million Gen Xers and 63.7 million Boomers. The Census Bureau projects that the Gen X population will peak at 65.8 million in 2018.

Baby Boomers

Baby Boomers have always had an outsized presence compared with other generations. They were the largest generation and peaked at 78.8 million in 1999.
There were a projected 75.4 million Boomers in 2014. By midcentury, the Boomer population will dwindle to 16.6 million.

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:15 am

That article raises some weird questions. I was just thinking in terms of North American/European population (because I don't know how the other parts of the world changed after World War 2 and the Cold War). But, for example, that article says:
The Census Bureau projects that the Gen X population will peak at 65.8 million in 2018.
... How can the GenX population peak 38 years after the last GenXers were born? :neutral: I guess if GenXers were moving to the US from other countries (Mexican GenXers?) at a rate that was increasing their population then that makes sense, but otherwise, this makes no sense. Total population in any given generation where the birth-range is over should just decrease. [I read it again more carefully: it is immigration that is causing the increases... cool.]

Of course, ratio in the overall population should increase as the older generations decrease.

I knew that the GenXers were a much smaller generation than the Millenials, but it's a little surprising that we're larger than the post-Millenials (and holy shit... there are already two generations ahead of the Millenials?! I'm not done being important yet! I wonder if this is the first time in history such large numbers of five [and now six] generations have been alive simultaneously?)

:lol:
Can you tell me what the millenials are "for" or "against" or is it to soon? And if they are like all other generations, there has to be something.......?
I'm not sure the Boomer generation really was characterized by hippie values, or that there's much use in trying to generalize across whole generations this way, because it glosses and helps mask data that shows that people are pretty much the same from generation to generation. If you see statistical changes in reported attitudes toward things like homosexuality, atheism, whatever... yes, these are particular differences, but I think these are contingent, and not really a reflection of the actual type of people a whole generation tends to be, but rather a reflection of the ways in which education and media have shifted, regardless of who is in the generation paying attention to these things.

But ignoring that, I think millenials are a weird generation because the oldest ones can remember the world before the World Wide Web (1991), and before the Soviet Union collapsed, and were teens or early 20s during 9/11 and the aftermath [like me]. The youngest ones barely remember 9/11. I think we're definitely the first generation where the majority of people aren't sceptical of mass adoption of new technology. But the post-millenial kids are much more attuned to tech than we could be because they've never been without it. I know some young kids and infants who will have never known a world without smart phones. So I think the younger generations are more likely to be pluralistic about information and values, simply because there's just more of it out there, and their formative years were characterized by massive proliferation of information and change.

But I still think that people are basically the same on the whole, no matter what generation. The fact that Cyndi Lauper was popular in 1987 and New Kids on The Block in 1991 and Elvis in 1957, and Justin Bieber in 2010... suggests that people are exactly the same.

mockbee

#24 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:47 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote: So I think the younger generations are more likely to be pluralistic about information and values, simply because there's just more of it out there, and their formative years were characterized by massive proliferation of information and change.
I generally agree with what you are saying. I suppose somethings are just because of the times, and so many people in a generation just get glossed over because they didn't glob onto the "events" of the period.

This statement is interesting though, and the one where you mention mass adoption of new technology. I didn't know if there maybe was some legitimate backlash somewhere (not that you would necessarily know), and I don't mean some hip version of backlash. It just seems this generation adopted it lock, stock and barrel, at least in a cultural sense.

I suppose that ties into the above, and the thread, in that when the rubber meets the road, what is this younger generation going to do with real conflict. 2008 Financial crisis was weird. That was terrifying, but really nothing happened. We are all still in denial.

Will the governement (society) be able to slowly take away the freedoms of information (like net neutrality) from this generation without a backlash. I know it passed this time, but there will be another. And what will happen when they truly can't pay their debts?

And also when I say "they", I guess I mean millenials and their parents, the boomers (that Steiglitz guy was ahead of his time! having his mom sign off on his loans, in the 70's......?)

Not judging, just curious about events and generations.

guess time will tell.

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:31 am

I've been thinking about what exactly is going to happen when the boomer parents start dying off at a faster rate, because they've accumulated a huge amount of property wealth thanks to purchasing homes at a time when the ratio of housing cost to income was far lower than it is now, and a time when property-sizes were much larger.

My parents, for example, bought a detached, large-lot, corner-unit house for just under $200,000 in the suburbs about a decade and a half ago. That house is now already worth almost double that, in a location where a housing market crash is incredibly unlikely (the population was 30,000 when they moved there, it is now over 100,000 and projected to hit 230,000 in the next 15 years). The house is small by comparison to modern houses, but the lot-size is huge. In fact, they just don't sell lots that large anymore, especially with that much green space. It's reminiscent of the sell-off of the old war-time bungalows that were all knocked down so that larger houses could be built. You get this massive gain in value through inflation. And that will probably get passed on to the children. To clarify: you can't buy a new house in this town for less than $400,000 now, and that's for the low-end townhomes.

So the Millenials seem to be in line to have a fairly substantial windfall in the next two decades, while they fight for better wages and better jobs. We were delayed in getting into the job market because so many of us went on to university. I'm a good case study in this: I'm still a student, and I started university in 2003. I also had a bank loan with a parent as a cosigner that I still owe money on, and I have no real means of paying it back until I finally do break into the job market, which should be sometime in the next five years. But I've also managed to get government funding and scholarships. Not all degrees are like this. Professional degrees (law, medical, etc) are far more expensive, and not guaranteed to pay off. Of course, I could be just another PhD who ends up at Starbucks (no... I won't go back!)

The Boomers are a serious problem because they're still employed, often not planning to retire, have the most seniority, the best benefits (because they're grandfathered into the older plans before all the union-busting killed everything), and hanging on for dear life to their positions, many of which are outmoded and won't be replaced. Things still haven't quite adjusted to fit optimal conditions for all the new technologies and the number of qualified people there are. But this will work itself out over the next couple of decades.

mockbee

#26 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:37 am

Things still haven't quite adjusted to fit optimal conditions for all the new technologies and the number of qualified people there are. But this will work itself out over the next couple of decades.
Hmmmmmm.....i've been thinking this and it hit me a couple weeks back with a conversation with a ditzo taxi driver.

I truly believe eventually it will be social security for everyone. People will be redundant. The super rich will have to pay, or there will be mass chaos.

There is hardly a job out there that cannot be done by a machine. I know it's a blasé concept, but it gets more and more true.

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:43 am

When I was a kid, I read and loved this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_the_Game

It basically is about a dystopian future in which what you just said happens.