Should we as citizens be policing each other?

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Should we as citizens be policing each other?

#21 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Are we sure you're not Walter Matthau or Jack Lemmon?

perkana

#22 Post by perkana » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 am

creep wrote:i am not shy about saying something to someone who is doing something stupid...especially in retail/service situations. if a worker is getting unfairly abused i will say something to the person and try to make them feel stupid. i don't let these things bother me or get me angry though. i still might get a little pissed off when i drive but i am getting better with that over the years.
I agree with this, people should help others who are discriminated or treated poorly. Here people sometimes exagerate minding their own business. I agree with Hyper about not patrolling others for stupid things (maybe I will be like that, in 20-25 years, but I really hope not). But I've seen many cases in which waiters or clerks get verbally abused by some douchebag. That's the only thing that I hate about living in a big city.

perkana

#23 Post by perkana » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 am

nausearockpig wrote: Hipster with a MASSIVE woodsman-type beard: 1
I would like more hipsters with those kind of beards. Actually, that's one of my goals this year. I'm going to date some guy with a massive beard. Not interested in anything else :lol:

Essence_Smith

#24 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:49 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:No.
+1

Two words: George Zimmerman... :no:

I will from time to time, politely tell people who I see doing stupid shit that I see them doing stupid shit and that if a cop sees them they might have a problem...that's as far as I go...
Buuuut... aren't you saying you're doing exactly what I'm asking? I may have misunderstood your intentions though. You may not be doing it while angry, or all the time, or with the intention to publicly shame someone, but from what I'm reading you still do it.

I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong, your intention is that they hear what you're saying, think better of the actions and then stop? Or are you just saying it with no quiet intention that they "come to their senses" and stop? And if that's the case, what's the point.
I pick my spots, but I see shit all day long that is inconsiderate, illegal, etc and I let it go because if you walk around NY even politely telling anyone they shouldn't do something, etc someone will eventually tell you to go fuck yourself.

I just try to remind people of the consequences of what they're doing... I fully don't expect it to make one hell of a difference. I will more often say something to a kid than I would an adult. Like if I see a kid about to hop a turnstile on the subway I'll tell him that these days they don't give you a ticket and they'll likely arrest them for it if they're caught. If they still hop its on them but my things are more to prevent people from getting themselves into shit rather than me trying to get people to behave because they're annoying me...

@creep: I learned a lot from people here about "policing" grown folks...none of you fucks listened when we were shooting shit at each other on xiola...I and a few other people tried to make points on it, me being the most consistent and eventually Sonny took his ball and ran with it and the rest is history...you guys mobilized and got this board going (which I'll always appreciate) and then and only then did people collectively begin to address each other in a generally more civil fashion...the stuff I was complaining about was legit but I guess some including you couldn't handle ME saying it so often...if that made me the police in your eyes so be it, but I know I wasn't wrong for making the point... :wave:

kv

#25 Post by kv » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:25 pm

You were wrong for the point....you were wrong for ramming it down our throats again and again and again and ya

Hype

#26 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Holy shit... is KV as high as I am drunk? :cool: :lol:

Romeo

#27 Post by Romeo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 pm

I have a dangerous corner like that too. People run the red light and there are accidents constantly

The solution by the town is a red light camera
Not only will the town make a butt load of money (that you can't dispute) but people will slow the fuck down

kv

#28 Post by kv » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Holy shit... is KV as high as I am drunk? :cool: :lol:
Lol thanks just read my post...sweet typo

Es you WEREN'T wrong for the point

perkana

#29 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:45 am

Don't wanna sound too goodie 2 shoes, but after using the subway during rush hour for the last 3 weeks, I've noticed that it pays off to be polite, than being aggressive or telling people what to do or not. I even got a seat from a lady who had been laughing at someone and telling her that she shouldn't throw herself inside the car. Like you want to do that, you get pushed :lol: And the all women cars are the nastiest places. I prefer going with the men sometimes, they don't crush you or get into your face.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:12 pm

perkana wrote:Don't wanna sound too goodie 2 shoes, but after using the subway during rush hour for the last 3 weeks, I've noticed that it pays off to be polite, than being aggressive or telling people what to do or not. I even got a seat from a lady who had been laughing at someone and telling her that she shouldn't throw herself inside the car. Like you want to do that, you get pushed :lol: And the all women cars are the nastiest places. I prefer going with the men sometimes, they don't crush you or get into your face.
There are gendered subways in Mexico?! :confused: I know we talked about the sexist stuff a long time ago, but I didn't realize there were actual policies being based on it.

nausearockpig

#31 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
perkana wrote:Don't wanna sound too goodie 2 shoes, but after using the subway during rush hour for the last 3 weeks, I've noticed that it pays off to be polite, than being aggressive or telling people what to do or not. I even got a seat from a lady who had been laughing at someone and telling her that she shouldn't throw herself inside the car. Like you want to do that, you get pushed :lol: And the all women cars are the nastiest places. I prefer going with the men sometimes, they don't crush you or get into your face.
There are gendered subways in Mexico?! :confused: I know we talked about the sexist stuff a long time ago, but I didn't realize there were actual policies being based on it.
I think they're for safety.. I accidentally got onto a Women's Only train carriage when in Malaysia. Oops the round-eye!

perkana

#32 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Yup, during rush hour. First 5 or 6 cars are for women. So we aren't groped by men. It's kinda awkward sometimes, it gets so crowded that I almost kissed someone.