Ayotzinapa killing and missing students

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Ayotzinapa killing and missing students

#61 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:50 am

perkana wrote:
On Tuesday March 10th at San Diego City College a press conference was held announcing the upcoming arrival of three caravans planned to begin travelling across the country, including one which will arrive in San Diego on March 23. All caravans will include students from Ayotzinapa and family members of some of the 43 normalistas that went missing from Guerrero, Mexico, this past September, with remains of all students except one yet to be found.
The arrival of one of the three caravans in San Diego on the 23rd will be the beginning of more than 45 cities in the U.S. that will be visited. The U.S. is also the first country outside of Mexico to call for action.
“One is the caravan Pacific that is going from San Diego to the Seattle. Then there is a caravan in the center of the country that is going from Texas up to Chicago. Then you have a caravan in the Atlantic coast that will travel up—and the three caravans will travel to Washington D.C. and end in New York,” said panel member and San Diego City College Professor Enrique Davalos.
The demands of the Caravan, taken from a print out passed out during the event, are the following:
1. That the United States government stop the aid in the form of arms, ammunition and military hardware. Due to the fact that most of this aid is in large part responsible for the thousands of deaths and massive human rights violations in its neighboring country.
2. The United States apply international pressure to the Mexican government that they return the 42 kidnapped students alive.
http://sandiegofreepress.org/2015/03/ca ... s-the-u-s/

Sounds like good action. I visited their site, and couldn't find a schedule. (looks like press conference on March 23rd with more details) Let me know when they will be in the SF/Bay Area. If/when they come to SF I will go. :thumb: :tiphat:

Are people scared of retaliation when they return to Mexico? Sounds like the government has been ruthless...... :no:

Do you think Feds coordinate with local jurisdictions (the local one's likely responsible for, what we can assume now, the killing of those 43 students?)

I don't know how active you are, but are you ever personally scared for your security?

Keep it up Perkana, we are listening. :gh: :wavesad:

perkana

#62 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:12 am

Tras dejar San Antonio, la ruta central de la Caravana 43 recorrerá Austin y Dallas, también en Texas, Kansas City (Kansas), San Luis (Misuri), Saint Paul (Minesota), Milwaukee (Wisconsin), Chicago (Illinois), Grand Rapids, Lansing y Detroit (Michigan) y finalizará en Columbus (Ohio).

Los familiares que parten de El Paso, visitarán Las Cruces (Nuevo México), las ciudades californianas de San Diego, Santa Ana, Los Ángeles, Oxnard, Fresno, Berkeley, San Francisco, Sacramento y Santa Rosa, Portland (Oregón), Olympia, Seattle y Yakima (Washington), Las Vegas (Nevada) y Denver (Colorado).

Finalmente, desde McAllen irán a Houston (Texas), Nueva Orleans (Luisiana), Birmingham (Alabama), Atlanta (Georgia), Blacksburg y Richmond (Virginia), Durham (Carolina del Norte), Washington, Baltimore (Maryland), Filadelfia (Pensilvania), Nueva York, Hartford (Connecticut) y terminarán en Boston (Massachusetts).
My guess would be UC Berkley? :noclue: Haven't checked their site though.
I don't feel in danger because I live in Mexico City. But I still feel enraged by this, because even if I'm not related to any of the victims, they are my people.

perkana

#63 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:23 am

mockbee wrote:
Are people scared of retaliation when they return to Mexico? Sounds like the government has been ruthless...... :no:

Do you think Feds coordinate with local jurisdictions (the local one's likely responsible for, what we can assume now, the killing of those 43 students?)
We are not scared of retaliation against them. Them and the rest of the country are fed up with it. This tour is to tell everybody that our government cannot stop this investigation.
You have to read the links to articles I've posted on this thread. There's info about the involvement of feds with local police in the students dissapearence.
Also, a representative of UN humans rights has said this was definitely a forced dissapearence.

mockbee

#64 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:30 am

perkana wrote:
mockbee wrote:

We are not scared of retaliation against them. Them and the rest of the country are fed up with it. This tour is to tell everybody that our government cannot stop this investigation.
You have to read the links to articles I've posted on this thread. There's info about the involvement of feds with local police in the students dissapearence.
Also, a representative of UN humans rights has said this was definitely a forced dissapearence.

Yes, I have read the articles and it does look like there has been coordination, just the level of complicity is obviously unknown. That is why I was wondering if people in DF are ever concerned, at rallies and events like that in DF. I know police break them up there, like they do here, but it doesn't sound like abductions or killings have taken place at rallies in Mexico City, just out in the country, more rural areas.

oh jeeeeez, just went back through your postings...... :no:
Mexico City: Federal Forces participated in the attack on Ayotzinapa students the night of September 26 in Iguala, Guerrero, during which three normalistas died and 43 went missing in a series of events that were known in real time by the federal government.
A study carried out with the support of the Investigative Reporting Program of UC Berkeley based on testimonies, videos, unpublished reports and court statements shows that the Federal Police (PF) were actively and directly involved in the attack. The new investigation contradicts previous statements from the PGR.

perkana

#65 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:34 am

Alabama

Birmingham
March 24-26

California

Los Angeles
For more information, contact (310) 713-0106
Thursday, March 19th
California State Univ. Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St. Northridge, CA 91330
2:30 - 4:00 pm - Presentation in Sequoia Hall, Room 104

4:30 - 8:00 pm - Press Conference at California State Univ. Northridge

Friday, March 20th

Animo Leadership High School in Inglewood, CA
2:00 – 3:30 pm - Meeting
Event only open to parents and students of Animo Leadership High School

California State Univ., Los Angeles
5151 University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032
4:30 - 8:00 pm - Presentation in King Hall, Room C4073

La Feria Restaurant
10903 South Inglewood, Inglewood, CA, 90304
3:30 - 5pm
Placita Olvera (Alameda y César Chávez Boulevard)
10:00 am -12:00 pm Press Conference
Caravana43 and women family members of deisappeared family members in Mexico and Central America
CARECEN (Centro de Recursos Centro Americanos)
2845 West 7th Street, Los Ángeles, CA 90005
1 - 3:oo pm - Evento con la Comunidad Centroamericana
Union of Teachers of Los Ángeles
3303 Wilshire , 10th Floor Los Ángeles, CA 90010
5:00 -7:30 pm - Community Event

More Events to be posted in Los Angeles.
April 22-24

San Diego
March 23-26

Oxnard
March 26-28

Fresno
March 28-30

Santa Cruz
March 30-31

San Jose
April 1

Berkeley
April 2-3

San Francisco
April 4-5

Santa Rosa
April 6

Sacramento
April 7-9

Colorado

Denver
April 25-27

Connecticut

Harford
April 14-17

District of Columbia

Washington, D.C.
http://www.soaw.org/category-table/4291-ayotzinapa

perkana

#66 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:40 am

mockbee wrote: That is why I was wondering if people in DF are ever concerned, at rallies and events like that in DF. I know police break them up there, like they do here, but it doesn't sound like abductions or killings have taken place at rallies in Mexico City, just out in the country, more rural areas.
Of course there is abuse by police at these rallies too. People have been beaten and sent to jail, even when they were not breaking nor burning anything. Since I usually go by myself to these rallies, I try to leave before all hell breaks loose.

mockbee

#67 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 am

perkana wrote:
mockbee wrote: That is why I was wondering if people in DF are ever concerned, at rallies and events like that in DF. I know police break them up there, like they do here, but it doesn't sound like abductions or killings have taken place at rallies in Mexico City, just out in the country, more rural areas.
Of course there is abuse by police at these rallies too. People have been beaten and sent to jail, even when they were not breaking nor burning anything. Since I usually go by myself to these rallies, I try to leave before all hell breaks loose.
But no one killed or reported missing at the rallies in Mexico City, right? Maybe it says in your articles.

perkana

#68 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:49 am

You should read more about our history. Read about the massacre of Tlatelolco.
Also, a lot of people missing and then found dead because of narc dealings or people trafficking (and yes, here in Mexico City too). Just google them. I'd love to help you but I don't have time.

mockbee

#69 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 am

perkana wrote:You should read more about our history. Read about the massacre of Tlatelolco.
Also, a lot of people missing and then found dead because of narc dealings or people trafficking (and yes, here in Mexico City too). Just google them. I'd love to help you but I don't have time.

I understand. It's hard to know where to start, seems endless........ I knew about the massacre of protesters in '68 before the Olympics, didn't know it was called the Tlatelolco Massacre though. Simply mentioning specific events is helpful, I have no problem looking them up to get the story. Mostly in my previous inquiry I meant stuff in the last decade or so, I guess it's really been endless there. Like you said, stuff is changing for the resistance movement due to social media capabilities. That is good at least.

perkana

#70 Post by perkana » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:12 am

Four days ago a monument in memory of the missing students was inaugurated. Finally saw it yesterday. It's on Reforma, across Sebatián's "El caballito" (reference for whomever knows my city)