ISIL

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

ISIL

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:38 am

Hmmmm, so how long until people work out air strikes aren't really going to work? The US and UK have said no to ground troops, so what's the point? It's pretty obvious the Iraqi army can't deal with the situation and the Kurds are just about holding out. Expect more western propoganda, terror threats, an even greater loss of civil liberties....

Essence_Smith

Re: ISIL

#2 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 am

Are you planning on going down there to fight? Cause I'm not... :lol:

Bandit72

#3 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 am

Who for? :lol:

Seriously, is this history repeating itself? It took Russia 9 years to realise such a war was un-winnable.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:28 am

I have really mixed feelings on this. Reliable intel disbursed to the general public is suspect, ISIL appears to have extensive territorial ambitions....they are well funded, patient, and intelligent. I understand the Soviet/Russian analogy but don't think it's appropriate. 35 years makes a big difference where tech is concerned and that was a united Afghanistan, whose resolve was underestimated.

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:03 am

To be fair, the coalition didn't do a great job 10 years ago. The British basically lost their war in Iraq.

Pure Method

#6 Post by Pure Method » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:27 am

SR wrote:I have really mixed feelings on this. Reliable intel disbursed to the general public is suspect, ISIL appears to have extensive territorial ambitions....they are well funded, patient, and intelligent. I understand the Soviet/Russian analogy but don't think it's appropriate. 35 years makes a big difference where tech is concerned and that was a united Afghanistan, whose resolve was underestimated.

I thought he was talking about Chechnya :noclue:

SR

#7 Post by SR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 am

Really? I see more similarities with Afghanistan.

Everybody's Friend

#8 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am

People seem to continuously overlook the fact that John Rambo played a huge role in the Afghan rebels defeating the evil russians. It's unlikely that they will have his support in this particular conflict.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 am

I would have pushed him.

Everybody's Friend

#10 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I would have pushed him.
:hehe:

SR

#11 Post by SR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:19 am

First blood

SR

#12 Post by SR » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 am

Ya know, besides the obvious problem of how to solve this problem beyond the US border, is just how seriously do we need to take this threat in our every day lives. What level of personal alert has to be taken, if any. What is sufficiently paranoid, too apathetic, or irrational in one's caution?

I have a son at a tier one here in LA. It's one of the finest Uni's in the world in one of the most 'western' (and flamboyant) cities in the world. I have yet to mention to him to be vigilant, but I almost feel remiss in not doing so.......and, today is his second day. :lol:

But seriously, politics aside, this is a social concern as well.

Essence_Smith

#13 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:50 am

Not for nothing, but seriously...what in the hell are we supposed to do? :lol:

There's a story about St. Francis (I think) where he and some friends are sitting around playing billiards and they're all asking one another what they'd do if they found out the world was going to end the next day...so one guys says he'd go be with loved ones, another says he'd comfort a poor person, etc...and they turn around and ask Francis what he'd do and he says "keep on playing billiards"...I feel a lot like this...and I'm not saying people shouldn't take appropriate measures to do whatever they feel they need to, but I think it's just silly to be paranoid about something that could potentially happen anytime, anywhere that I have little or no control over...how in the world does one conduct themselves to make themselves less susceptible to a possible terrorist threat?

Again it goes back to my thing with culture playing into how seriously you take this...some black folk in inner cities feel threatened moment by moment imo...a guy I knew that lives literally a block away from where I grew up was shot few nights ago. Three men just ran into his house and shot him a few times and that was it. No robbery or signs of forced entry, and no leads. The guy was a bit slow witted and was known for being pretty much a harmless guy who would sit on his porch smoking cigarettes all day. With things like this being clear and visible threats why in the world would I now feel the need to add in this? I get it, I really do, but I think it's silly to some extent. Personally I have enough on my plate...and SR I hope your son stays safe...

erotic cheeses

#14 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:25 pm

And another beheading of a uk taxi driver who went over to help...

Bandit72

#15 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:03 pm

If the west had any sense, they would have listened to Albert Einstein.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results"

I don't know what the solution is. Beheadings are centuries old. However barbaric, social media now fuels the wests hatred in record time. In some ways, this is a more effective weapon for Jihadists. The news about Alan Henning tonight is absolutely tragic, but deep down you were always thinking to yourself...what day is this going to happen? To me it was pretty obvious it was going to occur soon after British parliament agreed to go to war.

Seen loads of very naïve, off the cuff and ridiculous comments about "nukes" and "obliteration" on various strands of social media. I don't think this will get solved within my lifetime.

Essence_Smith

#16 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I don't know what the solution is
Neither do the governments involved... :idea: