Emma Watson and equality

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Emma Watson and equality

#26 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm

kv wrote:generalizations that assumes people can't change from their upbringing or evolve through the years
Of course people can change... but social norms are what they are for statistical reasons, not because everyone you know is hip to the new trend. (That's how kids talk now right? They still say 'hip'? Am I 'ratchet' enough? :neutral: )

kv

#27 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm

fuck me why am i posting in this section again?

(when i say fuck me this is not directed at anyone in a sexual way) :bigrin:

SR

#28 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm

For at least a decade I have watched in horror as mainstream media in radio, press and film portray the woman as the heroine and the man as the hapless fool in infant like reliance on the woman.

blackcoffee

#29 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm a man. I'm an older gentleman. I'm a feminist. And while I would typically keep it to myself I think Emma Watson is damn sexy.
Last edited by blackcoffee on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm

SR wrote:For at least a decade I have watched in horror as mainstream media in radio, press and film portray the woman as the heroine and the man as the hapless fool in infant like reliance on the woman.
You mean like in Spiderman 2?

Or do you mean like in all those Adam Sandler movies from 20 years ago?

SR

#31 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm

blackcoffee wrote:I'm a man. I'm an older gentlemen. I'm a feminist. And while I would typically keep it to myself I think Emma Watson is damn sexy.
:lolol:

SR

#32 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:For at least a decade I have watched in horror as mainstream media in radio, press and film portray the woman as the heroine and the man as the hapless fool in infant like reliance on the woman.
You mean like in Spiderman 2?

Or do you mean like in all those Adam Sandler movies from 20 years ago?
any commercial, but since you bring up film, I was reminiscing about the parents who were in my world as a grade schooler. I went to an elite la school....lots of celeb parents and even a few celeb students. Of all, the most influential and interesting to me was john cassavetes and gena Rowlands. Though I am a huge fan of both, the latter ran that show. She was the rock with a brilliant but seriously flawed man. It likely helped to plant the seeds of equality in me between the sexes. My parents couldn't understand them in the slightest way.

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I think most people my age and younger don't even see television commercials anymore... Again, not an "ageist" thing, but just about the fact that it used to be a norm to have a TV in your house with satellite or cable, but the norm now seems to be to have Netflix or download. But, e.g., even though my parents know that they can watch masses of great stuff on Netflix, which, surprisingly, they actually have, they still pay for satellite and sit through commercials... I guess because when my dad was a kid, he always wanted a satellite dish. Hell, I can remember always wanting satellite as a kid...

So if commercials are portraying men as hapless idiots, well... I don't know whether that's a problem or not.

I do know that there was a big thing about the rise of "Jackass" way back (which I always found weird since I had been into CKY years before Jackass existed and just thought it was a normal thing for teenagers to think hurting themselves was funny...), and how that spawned a kind of "jackass culture"... but that seems to have gone away already. :waits:

SR

#34 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I think most people my age and younger don't even see television commercials anymore... Again, not an "ageist" thing, but just about the fact that it used to be a norm to have a TV in your house with satellite or cable, but the norm now seems to be to have Netflix or download. But, e.g., even though my parents know that they can watch masses of great stuff on Netflix, which, surprisingly, they actually have, they still pay for satellite and sit through commercials... I guess because when my dad was a kid, he always wanted a satellite dish. Hell, I can remember always wanting satellite as a kid...

So if commercials are portraying men as hapless idiots, well... I don't know whether that's a problem or not.

I do know that there was a big thing about the rise of "Jackass" way back (which I always found weird since I had been into CKY years before Jackass existed and just thought it was a normal thing for teenagers to think hurting themselves was funny...), and how that spawned a kind of "jackass culture"... but that seems to have gone away already. :waits:
:lol: well, woman with disposable income do, obviously. Those advertisers are sleazy but not stupid with their budgets.

SR

#35 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Anyone want to play pong?

kv

#36 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:49 pm

only one of my atari paddles still works...not to mention i'd have to climb around in the attic to find it...and then it wouldn't hook up to my tv :banghead:

i have to decline

farrellgirl99

#37 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:51 pm

What's pong? Atari who?

SR

#38 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 pm

You had paddles? Mine had two knobs. :lol: Tennis, loved it.

And pre cable, was ON TV.

SR

#39 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:54 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:What's pong? Atari who?
OFF MY LAWN young lady!. J/k.... :wave:

kv

#40 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:55 pm

if you have one of these i'll be over in 3 hours :bored: this need to be renamed to :pong:

we had ON 3 movies a night....kid movie general movie adult movie...they'd show the x rated duran duran video on it late night...DAMNIT WAIT A MINUTE WE DID GROW UP SEXIST!!!

/thread jack fail

farrellgirl99

#41 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 pm

SR wrote:
:tiphat:

kv

#42 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm

ya know whats sexist? when a woman ( I WON'T POINT FINGERS) bumps the thread to a new page right after i posted greatness...fucking women

SR

#43 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:02 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
SR wrote:
Ya know, even I as a Yankee hater love your beloved Jeter...a born male (and old)!

SR

#44 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm

kv, I almost mentioned the late night showing on ON, but thought better of it

Essence_Smith

#45 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Ironically enough as we speak I'm on a crowded 4 train packed with Yankee fans. I'm bout to turn up on these ratchet ass mofos :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#46 Post by creep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:41 pm

kv wrote:Image

if you have one of these i'll be over in 3 hours :bored: this need to be renamed to :pong:

we had ON 3 movies a night....kid movie general movie adult movie...they'd show the x rated duran duran video on it late night...DAMNIT WAIT A MINUTE WE DID GROW UP SEXIST!!!

/thread jack fail
i can finally contribute to this thread. we had one of these:

hours of fun.

speaking of old guy things...anyone remember "the video juke box" where you would call a number to play a music video on your tv. that was some space age shit.

SR

#47 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:53 pm

That's it. Last game I was good at.

Hype

#48 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Ironically enough as we speak I'm on a crowded 4 train packed with Yankee fans. I'm bout to turn up on these ratchet ass mofos :lol:
It makes me laugh so hard to realize I'm finally "old" because I don't get "ratchet" at all. It's like "krunk" right?

Did I end up on the Romper Room planet? What is this shit?

farrellgirl99

#49 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:18 pm

SR wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:
SR wrote:
Ya know, even I as a Yankee hater love your beloved Jeter...a born male (and old)!
i bought tickets to say goodbye for his last home game thursday and then randomly received tickets for tomorrow's game too. so i guess im spending my next two days with derek :love:

creep
Site Admin

#50 Post by creep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Ironically enough as we speak I'm on a crowded 4 train packed with Yankee fans. I'm bout to turn up on these ratchet ass mofos :lol:
It makes me laugh so hard to realize I'm finally "old" because I don't get "ratchet" at all. It's like "krunk" right?

Did I end up on the Romper Room planet? What is this shit?
nice thread to post that video in. :boobs: