Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Emma Watson and equality

#51 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:23 pm

I think that's what I was going for. I think I don't know anymore. :conf:

perkana

#52 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Essence_Smith wrote: I am curious to know and you don't have to answer...under what circumstances would a gentleman who you don't know be able to approach you?
I'm with farrellgirl on this, it's not ok to just say stupid stuff like 'smile'. I hate that shit too. Guys just have to be nice, I've talked to people on public transportation or bars and have had really nice, funny, interesting or just weird conversations. Just don't be a tool and say 'smile' to someone you don't know.

crater

#53 Post by crater » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:49 pm

perkana wrote:I'm with farrellgirl on this, it's not ok to just say stupid stuff like 'smile'. I hate that shit too.
I've had to deal with this for as long as I can remember. Because I'm so painfully shy around people I do not know, I just sit still and try my best at not being noticed. In doing so, more times than not I get people telling me I should smile or "cheer up" or "say something" etc., when I'm just sitting there minding my own business.

creep
Site Admin

#54 Post by creep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:02 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
SR wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:
SR wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:What's pong? Atari who?
OFF MY LAWN young lady!. J/k.... :wave:
:tiphat:
Ya know, even I as a Yankee hater love your beloved Jeter...a born male (and old)!
i bought tickets to say goodbye for his last home game thursday and then randomly received tickets for tomorrow's game too. so i guess im spending my next two days with derek :love:
olberman doesn't quite think he deserves all this attention.

SR

#55 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 pm

And this is why thread jacks are good

farrellgirl99

#56 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:36 pm

:lol: I am also sick of Jeter's farewell tour so I understand. And the numbers he brought up certainly were interesting. Though I do think Jeter has never been a numbers guy (besides his hit total - which I noticed was not mentioned. Still pretty impressive to be sixth all time in hits, even if many were of the singles variety).

I think Jeter's value comes from intangibles (I bet that makes non-Yankee fans and sabermetrics people very angry). I have watched him my whole life and have appreciated how he has played the game. He was never my favorite player - that was Bernie Williams and Mo after him, but Jeter has been a big part of my life every summer. So that's why I'm going to see him two last times.

Every franchise has their player(s) that hometown fans will always defend. It's a shame the Yankees and MLB are shameless in terms of promotion - if you can make Jeter fans sick of the hoopala, it's not a good thing.

creep
Site Admin

#57 Post by creep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:46 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote: I think Jeter's value comes from intangibles (I bet that makes non-Yankee fans very angry). I have watched him my whole life and have appreciated how he has played the game.
i get that. he seems like a good dude and it's rare these days to stay with the same team. he reminds me of cal ripkin in a way. cal was a pretty good player but not great and everyone loved the guy. it's just too bad the yankees aren't ending the season at home.

SR

#58 Post by SR » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:51 am

All time Yankee hits leader ... 5 World Series rings.....that's 25% of his time there. Hate it, hate the evil empire but in baseball he's a living legend.

Essence_Smith

#59 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:55 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Ironically enough as we speak I'm on a crowded 4 train packed with Yankee fans. I'm bout to turn up on these ratchet ass mofos :lol:
It makes me laugh so hard to realize I'm finally "old" because I don't get "ratchet" at all. It's like "krunk" right?

Did I end up on the Romper Room planet? What is this shit?
Ratchet is like...basically you're describing a hoodrat type of person, usually a female, but it could also refer to a ghetto person or situation...I can still keep up with the words and terms but I feel like an ass using them...

As for Jeter...I hate Yankee fans in general...a very spoiled bunch...I respect the "evil" empire because as a recovering Mets fan at least they traditionally have done what they need to do to secure a competitive team year after year...the Mets? :no:
Jeter is a good guy...you never really heard his name in any drama and he handled being in a place like NY his whole career like a pro...class act and ya gotta respect him...the numbers aren't as meaningful as what he represented for his team...the Cal Ripken comparison is a great one...

Romeo

#60 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:21 am

Only on ANR can a thread about Women's equality evolve into a discussion on Derek Jeter and old skool video games....

:lolol:

FYI, KV I'm trying to find your great post :wink:

SR

#61 Post by SR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:50 am

Hype

#62 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:49 am

When Obama and Clinton were campaigning for party leadership, I recall writing that Americans are racist, but they're also misogynist. There are two elements of hyperbole there, but the one thing that wasn't was the level of basic disdain for the idea that women are equal to men in certain important respects (namely, the respects which men take to be important to their manhood). And obviously these are general statements, but it's pretty common even still to hear period jokes as "joking" reasons why women can't hold important or powerful leadership positions. But, ironically, this is a joke, but on the people who believe that, not on women. I strongly suspect that if Clinton does get the nomination for the Dems, there will be some bounce-back support for the Republican candidate. Of course I hope that doesn't happen, but it seems likely.

SR

#63 Post by SR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Ye of little faith.

She has my vote. And I don't disagree with your assessment here, but Obama's race was an issue to be looked at when he was elected by a partially racist constituency. Didn't you vigorously dismiss any merit to that?

Hype

#64 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:08 pm

SR wrote:Ye of little faith.

She has my vote. And I don't disagree with your assessment here, but Obama's race was an issue to be looked at when he was elected by a partially racist constituency. Didn't you vigorously dismiss any merit to that?
I was pretty sure that Obama would face opposition because of his race, but that women of any race face at least as much, and probably more, opposition. (Just compare rates of racial minorities in the government, especially high-ranking positions, to rates of women...)

Related: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/s ... xist-jokes
Presenters on US cable channel Fox News cracked a series of sexist jokes after reporting that a female pilot from the UAE had taken part in a bombing mission of Isis targets in Syria, describing her as “boobs on the ground”.

One presenter, Kimberly Guilfoyle, tried to pay tribute to Major Mariam al-Mansouri, 35, one of four UAE fighter pilots to take part in the operation. “Hey, Isis, you were bombed by a woman,” she said. “Very exciting, a woman doing this … I hope that hurt extra bad because in some Arab countries women can’t even drive.”

She continued: “Major Mariam al-Mansouri is who did this. Remarkable, very excited. I wish it was an American pilot. I’ll take a woman doing this any day to them.”

But after the segment, co-host Greg Gutfeld interrupted Guilfoyle, mocking the pilot. “The problem is after she bombed it she couldn’t park it,” he said. Another presenter, Eric Bolling, joined in, asking: “Would that be considered boobs on the ground or no?” The conversation between panellists, which was broadcast on Wednesday, was part of discussion show The Five on Fox News.

Embarrassed, Guilfoyle hung her head, saying: “Oh my gosh, why did they ruin my thing?” Another voice was heard afterwards saying: “Did you just say what I thought you said?”
:banghead: :balls:

SR

#65 Post by SR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:48 pm

African Americans represent appx 12% of the population. Women are appx 52%.

Larry B.

#66 Post by Larry B. » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 am

A woman president would be ideal for the US, as they are easy targets for headlines that would distract people from whatever mass killing the US is carrying out in another country. In South America we have (at least) three female presidents, and there's always talk about how they're fat, ugly, ambitious, lacking sex, on their period, poorly dressed, overdressed, etc.

LJF

#67 Post by LJF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:42 am

[quote="Adurentibus Spina"][quote="SR"]Ye of little faith.

I was pretty sure that Obama would face opposition because of his race,

How do you classify his race?

Hype

#68 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:45 am

:confused: It doesn't matter how I classify it. Don't be obtuse.

LJF

#69 Post by LJF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote::confused: It doesn't matter how I classify it. Don't be obtuse.

fuck you, it's a simple question why can't you answer it?

Hype

#70 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:29 am

It's a Bill O'Reilly-style red herring. Except you're not as clever or loud as he is.

LJF

#71 Post by LJF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:18 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:It's a Bill O'Reilly-style red herring. Except you're not as clever or loud as he is.

ok, you put it out there so how was it not a valid question?

Essence_Smith

#72 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 am

I'm going to have to agree with Hype's attitude here...my instincts tell me that a woman trying to with the U.S. presidency would have an even tougher time that Obama had. How did Lennon put it? Woman is the Nigger of the world? :lol:
SR wrote:African Americans represent appx 12% of the population. Women are appx 52%.
I feel like many women wouldn't get behind Hillary because she's Hillary...time will tell and I'm not opposed to the idea of a woman president, but I think Larry actually has point about what the media would turn it into...

LJF

#73 Post by LJF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Hype's attitude here...my instincts tell me that a woman trying to with the U.S. presidency would have an even tougher time that Obama had. How did Lennon put it? Woman is the Nigger of the world? :lol:
SR wrote:African Americans represent appx 12% of the population. Women are appx 52%.
I feel like many women wouldn't get behind Hillary because she's Hillary...time will tell and I'm not opposed to the idea of a woman president, but I think Larry actually has point about what the media would turn it into...

I guess an overweight half Italian white guy won't have a hard time?

Are you saying that women won't get behind her because is a women or because they don't like her?
Last edited by LJF on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry B.

#74 Post by Larry B. » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:14 pm

LJF wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Hype's attitude here...my instincts tell me that a woman trying to with the U.S. presidency would have an even tougher time that Obama had. How did Lennon put it? Woman is the Nigger of the world? :lol:

What are you even talking about now?

LJF

#75 Post by LJF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Larry B. wrote:
LJF wrote:

What are you even talking about now?
That everyone faces opposition some of it for real reasons, some of it for stupid reasons. Whether it be race, religion, sex, or ethnicity.

Oh and sorry I was using Chris Christie as an example and maybe you don't know who he is. Not saying that as a joke don't know how much coverage he has gotten outside of the US.