Ebola virus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Ebola virus

#1 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Are you guys worried about Ebola spreading beyond West Africa?

Seems like it's getting worse. :scared:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-16/w ... la/5748552

Everybody's Friend

Re: Ebola virus

#2 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 pm

The silence says it all. :lol:

Romeo

#3 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 pm

nope.

I am more scared of shingles

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:00 pm

i would be worried if i was in africa. not worried one bit here. it's pretty hard to spread and i'm sure we could contain any outbreak pretty easily. might have to think about travel restrictions to africa though. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:11 pm

In the very near future, I'd be more worried about the Enterovirus D68. It's spreading through the US very quickly and hits small kids and asthmatics very hard.

Ebola is likely going to continue unchecked through Western Africa for some time to come due to third world health and sanitary conditions but I don't see it spreading as an epidemic off the continent. The most likely way it *would* spread is from returning military and health workers who somehow manage to slip through international screening precautions but I think that possibility is almost zero considering how serious most countries are guarding against the virus spreading.

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am

Pandemonium wrote:In the very near future, I'd be more worried about the Enterovirus D68. It's spreading through the US very quickly and hits small kids and asthmatics very hard.
It's already in Canada. It's not as bad as the seasonal Flu though. Get vaccinated plz.

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes, I heard there are some cases in BC, Alberta, and some in Windsor.

Essence_Smith

#8 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 am

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:43 pm

:lol: fans at the game in dallas today

tvrec

#10 Post by tvrec » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:52 am

Dallas patient died. Scary stuff.

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 am

tvrec wrote:Dallas patient died. Scary stuff.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_04.pdf

<Norm MacDonald>Hearts attack and kill people way more than Ebola does... you should be afraid of your heart attacking and killing you. </Norm>

Romeo

#12 Post by Romeo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:34 am

The Dallas patient died because he was not properly treated from the beginning and they ran out of the Anti-viral drug (the company that makes the drug (brincidofovir) claims it will take weeks to make more

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Romeo wrote:The Dallas patient died because he was not properly treated from the beginning and they ran out of the Anti-viral drug (the company that makes the drug (brincidofovir) claims it will take weeks to make more
Actually he did get that drug but much later into his illness than the previous patients who have survived which is why he likely couldn't recover. The news cameraman who was just brought back to the States is also getting that drug.

That whole thing with Thomas Duncan from start to finish has been an epic clusterfuck. All the Government red tape and inter-dept bullshit keeping this guy's family holed up in their shitty apt under armed guard for over a week until they finally isolated them somewhere else and cleaned out the place has been 19th century quality health care. There are so many holes in the CDC's (and European govs as well) reactionary response to this crisis that there's a very real possibility we're going see clusters of Ebola outbreaks worldwide in major cities with International travel hubs within the next 18 months.

Romeo

#14 Post by Romeo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:33 am

all I can think about is the hysteria that surrounded the early years of the AIDS crisis.

The media feeding peoples fears, people not understanding about transmission, people getting shunned, the Gov at first doing nothing....

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:22 am

now a health care worker that treated the dude in dallas that had it has tested positive. same thing happened in europe. i think it's safe to say that it's transmitted in some way that we don't fully understand. i still don't have any fear at all of an outbreak here but this is going to fuel the silly mass hysteria that is going on about this. we might want to rethink having our troops over there though. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:36 am

It's unbelievable how badly the cascade of epic fails continues with the Dallas cases.

The 2nd nurse who's now confirmed as infected traveled cross country after working with the team that treated Duncan. How can someone who had close contact with an Ebola patient under very questionable circumstances think it's a smart idea to jump on a plane and travel after the guy dies?!? I wonder if she did so during or after she heard her fellow nurse came down with Ebola? And frankly, that Dallas hospital should be shut down or at least all the relevant management should be shitcanned in light of all the most basic fuck-ups they've had since sending Duncan home in his condition knowing that they knew right through all the apparent basic lapses in highly contagious patient precautions treating him.
And that dunce Tom Frieden, director of the CDC should be out of a job. That guy is every bit as terrible in managing this crisis as Michael Brown, the idiot FEMA director who bungled the Hurricane Katrina response.

chaos

#17 Post by chaos » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:22 pm

To create awareness in America, the CDC announced today that Ebola has a new mascot/spokesman:

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Pandemonium wrote:It's unbelievable how badly the cascade of epic fails continues with the Dallas cases.

The 2nd nurse who's now confirmed as infected traveled cross country after working with the team that treated Duncan. How can someone who had close contact with an Ebola patient under very questionable circumstances think it's a smart idea to jump on a plane and travel after the guy dies?!? I wonder if she did so during or after she heard her fellow nurse came down with Ebola? And frankly, that Dallas hospital should be shut down or at least all the relevant management should be shitcanned in light of all the most basic fuck-ups they've had since sending Duncan home in his condition knowing that they knew right through all the apparent basic lapses in highly contagious patient precautions treating him.
And that dunce Tom Frieden, director of the CDC should be out of a job. That guy is every bit as terrible in managing this crisis as Michael Brown, the idiot FEMA director who bungled the Hurricane Katrina response.
Too much "management" and too little actual pay/training for nurses is probably a pretty big factor here. Nurses are paid terribly, and not particularly knowledgeable outside of their everyday tasks.

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Nurses are paid terribly
no they aren't.
The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $65,470 in 2012. The best-paid 10 percent of RNs made more than $94,720, while the bottom 10 percent earned less than $45,040. In 2012, the highest median salaries were earned by nurses working in government, hospitals and home health care.
compared to the average
The median annual earnings for full-time, year-round women workers in 2012 was $37,791

perkana

#20 Post by perkana » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:57 pm

chaos wrote:
To create awareness in America, the CDC announced today that Ebola has a new mascot/spokesman:

:lol:

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Too much "management" and too little actual pay/training for nurses is probably a pretty big factor here. Nurses are paid terribly, and not particularly knowledgeable outside of their everyday tasks.
Creep addressed the pay aspect (and the vast majority in the US are Union repped as well and get great benefits) so I won't go into that, but as far as training, there's some pretty basic issues of hospital/patient sanitation and hygiene regarding a patient with the obvious virus symptoms Duncan had that were apparently overlooked or ignored especially in the first couple days he was admitted. And those are standard things done without a person without an Ebola diagnosis that anyone who trains for that job would know. But honestly, I agree it isn't all on the nurses to implement and follow the protocol that was required, it's up to management and in this case, the CDC to lay down the law. That wasn't done and still hasn't been done on a national level yet.

And it's just been mentioned this afternoon, apparently the 2nd nurse now infected knew enough about the risks and possibility of being infected that she actually called the CDC when she apparently started developing fever and maybe other symptoms several times asking if it was ok to fly on a commercial airliner (back to Texas) mentioning she was one of Duncan's nurses. Whoever she talked to at the CDC said "sure, you're ok to fly."

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:36 pm

creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Nurses are paid terribly
no they aren't.
The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $65,470 in 2012. The best-paid 10 percent of RNs made more than $94,720, while the bottom 10 percent earned less than $45,040. In 2012, the highest median salaries were earned by nurses working in government, hospitals and home health care.
compared to the average
The median annual earnings for full-time, year-round women workers in 2012 was $37,791
There are a couple of reasons why I said what I said. It's one of those "Good for women" jobs, like pharmacist, where the average is higher than the gender average, and in the case of RNs, even higher than the national average.

But the numbers you quote above are for RNs. Were these women RNs or LPNs?
For example, an LPN may complete an LPN to RN education program to become a registered nurse. Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses. The median annual wage for licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses was $41,540 in May 2012.
Even if they were RNs, there's a question of whether the compensation for RNs (especially ones working on cases like infectious deadly rare diseases) is equitable relative to other similarly dangerous jobs that aren't mostly women.

Having looked into it further, these women are likely all RNs with special certifications... uh... fuck... yeah they really ought to know better. :neutral:

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:05 pm

shep smith is a tool but somehow he is the only person in the media with common sense is seems. strange that it comes from fox news.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Maybe he is just anti-vaccine.... :scared:

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Maybe he is just anti-vaccine.... :scared:
I suspect he's a racist.