Ray Rice

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Essence_Smith

Ray Rice

#1 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Soooooooo... personally I think this whole situation is pretty effed up...I don't know that the NFL response should have been, but I think that knee jerk shit is pretty messed up. They should just can him for a year and bring him back on the condition that he get some help...I understand the severity of the situation and am in NO way defending what he did, but I hate the way America as a culture puts athletes on a pedestal and then gets all up in arms when they behave all fucked up...they KNOW half these dudes are scumbags but only take position to do something when they get embarrassed or someone breaks the law...NCAA all the way to the pros need an overhaul of how they handle the players...anyone else?

kv

Re: Ray Rice

#2 Post by kv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Ya its so silly...i mean ray is a dochebag...but how many NFL players have hit women before...has to be a huge number...the reaction is comedy...wtf did everyone think happened before this vid came out? Everyone already knew he knocked her out. Not one time have I seen any press mention that the new video shows her smacking him first (not that it makes his actions any better)
NFL commish is just making up rules as he goes and has been for a while...I'd like to see him fired as well...and its also pretty clear she got knocked out by hitting her head on the railing...the people saying he should be in prison also make me smh....it was assault...both of them were charged and its shit that happen thousands of times a day...give me a break...he will suffer pay more then anyone else with the same crime...I have no respect for ray as a man but this overreaction is crazy....also if everyone feels sooo bad for the wife you'd think they'd be up and arms about the replaying of the video making the victim go through this over and over....good fucking thing tmz never found the big Ben rape video...rape...kill dogs no prob.get in a drunk fight with your chick after she smacks you? GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!!!!! plus if this was say tom Brady how much would ya bet he's still have a team to lead before the playoffs got close?

farrellgirl99

#3 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:40 pm

NFL screwed up their response and this incident is obviously just one of hundreds (NFL players have been arrested 713 times since 2000). There is a bigger problem at work here.

But I'm not going to feel an ounce of sympathy for a professional athlete who beats his wife and loses his job, dignity, and money. boo fucking hoo. Don't beat your wife/drive drunk/shoot people, etc. So he's the one who got caught. And I should show sympathy? No.

Essence_Smith

#4 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:52 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:NFL screwed up their response and this incident is obviously just one of hundreds (NFL players have been arrested 713 times since 2000). There is a bigger problem at work here.

But I'm not going to feel an ounce of sympathy for a professional athlete who beats his wife and loses his job, dignity, and money. boo fucking hoo. Don't beat your wife/drive drunk/shoot people, etc. So he's the one who got caught. And I should show sympathy? No.
I don't think it's right what he did, but the response is way over the top and by this logic every single athlete who commits a crime should lose it all. I agree with you there is a bigger problem here and I think it comes down to treating athletes like they can get away with just about anything from the time they hit puberty and someone figures out they're good at a sport. It's happening with high school athletes on up...I was mentioning to my wife the difference in how pro athletes were treated in the 40's and 50's...half of major league baseball fought in WW2 and while they were looked at as "the man", they were still regular people to most. The difference is the money now...we need salary caps, stricter rules in place for illegal conduct, etc...these cats are fucking crazy a lot of em, but they still get the treatment...I don't expect everyone to be Derek Jeter, but I think there are far too many A-Rods out there and I don't think banning them all is going to really change anything in the long run...

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:56 pm

kv wrote:get in a drunk fight with your chick after she smacks you? GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!!!!!
I cannot tell whether you are referring to Ray Rice or just speaking in general, but I did not see on the video where the woman smacked him. I bring it up because the video seems to contradict Rice's earlier statements about the altercation.

I was surprised by the way everyone outside the elevator acted (or rather, did not react). Did Rice tell them she had passed out because she drank too much? Regardless, the behavior of the bystanders surprised me.

What was the DA thinking? He must have seen the video.

They could kill each other for all I care. I think Rice is an animal, but I also have little sympathy for the woman. She chose to marry him after the incident, and she will probably have children with him. I am so sick of hearing about the psychology behind why she may have chosen to stay. This is a subject I know more about than I would like. (I grew up surrounded with the neverending stress of living in a violent household, so I admit that I am extremely biased. I left right after I turned 18).

How would things have played out if this incident occurred between two strangers? Generally speaking, why is it somehow not quite as bad because they were a couple? It should not matter whether the people were intimately involved, and Rice should be punished accordingly.

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:NFL screwed up their response and this incident is obviously just one of hundreds (NFL players have been arrested 713 times since 2000). There is a bigger problem at work here.

I don't think it's right what he did, but the response is way over the top and by this logic every single athlete who commits a crime should lose it all.
well that's nice of you to admit it was wrong. he has already earned over 30 million in salary and more in endorsements. if he can still play he will probably have a chance to get reinstated too. he will be ok.

perkana

#7 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:45 pm

chaos wrote:
I was surprised by the way everyone outside the elevator acted (or rather, did not react). Did Rice tell them she had passed out because she drank too much? Regardless, the behavior of the bystanders surprised me.
I think Rice is an animal, but I also have little sympathy for the woman.
I saw the video until today because I heard about it on the newsradio show. My thoughts exactly...Also, I can't believe her post on instagram.
Also, just missing two games after this? No matter if a woman slaps you, if you are as big as him and knock her out. It's not ok :no:

perkana

#8 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 pm

For me domestic violence is worse than being caught drunk, doped. Ok, murder is worse. Then domestic violence.

Essence_Smith

#9 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:54 pm

creep wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:

I don't think it's right what he did, but the response is way over the top and by this logic every single athlete who commits a crime should lose it all.
well that's nice of you to admit it was wrong. he has already earned over 30 million in salary and more in endorsements. if he can still play he will probably have a chance to get reinstated too. he will be ok.
Gee thanks... :eyes:

For the record I have 4 sisters and two daughters and in no way shape or form condone violence against women. However I dislike the hypocrisy in the way the league handled the situation. Days ago a 2 game suspension was acceptable...now he's suspended. I work for a company that makes a few billion a year and there are pretty clear lines on what happens to you if you do something illegal that reflects on the company. It's not that difficult so my issue isn't one of right or wrong...he was wrong, but if you can't have professional sports leagues looking the other way one moment and then wanting to bang the hammer when the shit storm comes down. Same thing with baseball and steroids and we could go on and on and on...we have a culture of spoiled athletes in the country and that imo is the bigger picture...

That being said I've been married over a decade...at some point or another I think every dude wants to hit their wife. You just DON'T do it. I'm an advocate for people getting help. Support groups, therapy, etc. would be far more useful. I think just about all of us here feels strongly about this and some unfortunately have dealt with abuse first hand. This shit is far too common for us to just look at a Ray Rice and not use the discussion to look at the bigger picture here as well.

kv

#10 Post by kv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:49 pm

chaos wrote:
kv wrote:get in a drunk fight with your chick after she smacks you? GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!!!!!
I cannot tell whether you are referring to Ray Rice or just speaking in general, but I did not see on the video where the woman smacked him.
Because the media keeps showing the video edited leaving it out...she back hands him then runs in the elevator

Xizen47

#11 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 am

kv wrote: kill dogs no prob.
2 years in Federal prison no prob :hs: public outrage was over the top when this went down too
kv wrote: big Ben rape... no prob.
Duh... Big Ben is white :hehe:

crater

#12 Post by crater » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:58 am

kv wrote:
chaos wrote:
I cannot tell whether you are referring to Ray Rice or just speaking in general, but I did not see on the video where the woman smacked him.
Because the media keeps showing the video edited leaving it out...she back hands him then runs in the elevator
It's crazy to me how people interpret things in a video differently. I saw her "back hand" as a "hurry the fuck up and lets go!" type of deal. Nothing malicious about it. If you've been with someone for any length of time, it happens. No big deal. And I also didn't see her "run" to the elevator after it happened either.

How anyone could attempt to justify what he did or lay any of the blame on what happened in that elevator on her is also crazy to me.

Killing dogs isn't a no problem type deal with me. Michael Vick shouldn't ever have been let back, but he hooked up with that bigot Tony Dungy and talked all sorts of Jesus nonsense and they let him back. Ben Roethlisberger and his sexual assaults, should have had him suspended for a season. Donté Stallworth shouldn't have been let back and Josh Brent also should never be allowed to play again after they both drove drunk and killed people.

crater

#13 Post by crater » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 am

Essence_Smith wrote: Days ago a 2 game suspension was acceptable...now he's suspended.
Not sure how closely you were paying attention to this after the 2 game suspension was announced but everywhere I read and everyone I heard when the NFL only gave him two games were outraged by how lenient they were with him and rightly so IMO. The NFL said it's because they didn't have footage from inside the elevator, when anyone with an IQ above a potato knew what happened going only by the original video of him dragging her out of the elevator.

No one thought it was acceptable other than the Ravens. But they also thought it was acceptable to dedicate a statue to a murderer, so that lets you know how fucked they are as an organization.

Essence_Smith

#14 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:30 am

No I knew about the public backlash over the 2 games, but I think a professional organization on that level should have already had a policy in place to begin with. The reactionary aspect of their dealings with it is what I take issue with. If you're going to go hard body handle everyone like that. Case by case is understandable to some extent, but if you're going to send a strong message to the players, do so before TMZ gets the full video... I think a year suspension and conditional return with some sort of rehabilitation would have been fair.

Also didn't the local authorities basically let him go on the condition that he got help? Don't get me wrong I'm not down with what he did, but in my own experience I got myself into trouble years ago and was offered help which I took and now I'm all the better for it. And I appreciate that in some cases that's a better thing than just locking people up, condemning them publicly, etc...I was thankful for the opportunity and think it should be something on the table in this case...that's all I'm saying...

SR

#15 Post by SR » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 pm

:sui:

Essence_Smith

#16 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:33 pm

SR wrote::sui:
Now ya know you're gonna have to elaborate there buddy...

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:22 pm

so the police say that the nfl had the full video the whole time. goodby roger goodell.

kv

#18 Post by kv » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:36 pm

yep they had it since april...much like the video of inside the elevator...everyone already should have known what happened

i loved roger to start but he has pissed me the fuck off in the last few years would loooove to see him fired

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:38 pm

yeah...he did a lot to improve the league when he took over but has made some inconsistent and nutty decisions lately. not just with disciplining players but in changing the rules.

kv

#20 Post by kv » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:09 pm

ya i fucking hate this dad shit "you are in trouble, go to your room i'll tell you your punishment when i feel like it"

kv

#21 Post by kv » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:18 pm

crater wrote: It's crazy to me how people interpret things in a video differently. I saw her "back hand" as a "hurry the fuck up and lets go!" type of deal.

How anyone could attempt to justify what he did or lay any of the blame on what happened in that elevator on her is also crazy to me.
well i didn't attempt to justify ray what so ever i don't care if his chick hit him with a 2x4...evade and walk away...call the cops if ya have to

and if he had backhanded her in the same manner you wouldn't have the same response...that's the problem these days...people want gender equality until this shit happens...fact is she struck him first and was charged by police for it

the media tends to ignore this part..when if the roles were reversed and he slapped her then she punched ray in the elevator people would be all "good for her, he had it coming" that's the shit that annoys me...that and the fact someone could be so fucking lame to punch a women...and of course the nfl's handling of this entire thing

today i am seeing the press mentioning the slap...but only with saying ray may have spit on her before the slap...they were both in the wrong...ray obviously much more so

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:30 pm

kv wrote:
crater wrote: It's crazy to me how people interpret things in a video differently. I saw her "back hand" as a "hurry the fuck up and lets go!" type of deal.

well i didn't attempt to justify ray what so ever i don't care if his chick hit him with a 2x4...evade and walk away...call the cops if ya have to

and if he had backhanded her in the same manner you wouldn't have the same response...that's the problem these days...people want gender equality until this shit happens...fact is she struck him first and was charged by police for it

the media tends to ignore this part..when if the roles were reversed and he slapped her then she punched ray in the elevator people would be all "good for her, he had it coming" that's the shit that annoys me...that and the fact someone could be so fucking lame to punch a women...and of course the nfl's handling of this entire thing

today i am seeing the press mentioning the slap...but only with saying ray may have spit on her before the slap...they were both in the wrong...ray obviously much more so
a man hitting a woman or a woman hitting a man isn't about equality. it's not a fair fight. obviously men are physically stronger than women. for sure there are exceptions but especially in this case with ray hitting his wife it's just not a fair fight.

kv

#23 Post by kv » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:37 pm

i've said it over and over ray is a loser

my only point is ray didn't start the physical contact...she played a larger role then the media is portraying

of course ray is bigger, stronger and should have never laid a finger on her...but if the roles were reversed the media would still be blaming ray more because he's the guy...that's the gender shit that annoys me

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:36 pm

so...the 49ers just suspended their radio announcer for two games but they allowed ray mcdonald who was arrested for hitting his pregnant girlfriend to play last week???

this whole thing is getting silly.
The 49ers have suspended radio broadcaster Ted Robinson two games for comments he made regarding domestic violence on KNBR on Monday afternoon.

In discussing the controversy regarding Ravens running back Ray Rice, Robinson said the victim, Rice’s wife, Janay, bore some of the responsibility for not speaking up after she was knocked unconscious by her then-fiancee.

“That, to me, is the saddest part of it,” Robinson said.

Robinson also said her decision to marry Rice after she was assaulted was “pathetic.”

Said 49ers president Paraag Marathe: “The comments made by radio broadcaster Ted Robinson on Monday were offensive and in no way reflect the views of the San Francisco 49ers organization. We have made the decision to suspend him for the next two games. I informed Ted of our decision earlier today, and we will continue to address this matter with him internally. Our organization stands strongly against domestic violence and will not tolerate comments such as these.”

Said Robinson: “I want to unconditionally apologize for my comments the other day. As a professional communicator, I am responsible for my words. My choice of words was careless and does not reflect my true feelings about domestic violence. I understand that the cycle of abuse keeps people in unhealthy relationships. No blame or responsibility for domestic violence should ever be placed on a victim.”

Robinson, 57, has been the radio play-by-play announcer for the 49ers since 2009. Last year, he signed a five-year contract extension that will keep him with the team through 2018.

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 pm

now the nfl is hiring a former fbi investigator to investigate what happened. pay me a few hundred thousand and can tell them what happened.

-the nfl got the video
- they assumed that it would never get released
-they decided to suspend one of their high profile player two games
-the video got released and they decided to ban ray rice hoping that everyone would applaud them for their quick action and no one would look further in to it.
-the police say they had the video since april so godell in one last ditch effort to try to save his job decides to hire some fbi guy to investigate something that needs no investigation.