Michael Brown

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
SR

Re: Michael Brown

#76 Post by SR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Black kids can't be killed anymore.

We HAVE to face institutionalized racism everywhere but KILL it where it breeds and infects every new generation.

I don't give a fuck if its in my town or yours; It has to happen. I despise FOX news for SO many reasons but it's cunting ability to perpetuate this shit makes me upset

Romeo

#77 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:15 pm

There is a great hashtag going on Twitter to focus on the media bias
People are putting up two pictures of themselves. One being a typical teen trying to look tough and the other either in a military uniform or cap and gown holding a college diploma

Because when the gunman who shot up the movie theater killing all those people, they published his graduation photo
After George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon, they pulled up tough guy looking photos. After Michael was gunned down, sane thing.
Also I was reminded of something else. A few weeks ago a rich white chick was arrested for stealing $2000 worth of clothes from Saks. She was ordered to perform community service
But the media and pubic opinion feels being shot dead in the street is justifiable for allegedly taking $50 worth of cigars. He was called a "thug"
What about the white rich female who committed larceny?

LJF

#78 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:16 pm

And YES I stereotype. So do you. As does everyone. It keeps us alive. We look at situations and evaluate them;.......we live based on it. Don't confuse me with PC bullshit. And don't confuse me with your FOX news insanity.

How int the world does this mean there can be no equality? Why am I even doing this with you[/quote]

I didn't know we were doing anything together, but if you are asking I have no idea why you are doing this with me. Actually I was having a good laugh at you ranting with yourself. You see I've never said that we don't stereotype, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people on this board that bitch when others stereotype to just turn and stereotype themselves. All I've said repeatedly is people can't have it both ways. Don't complain when people stereotype if you yourself do it.

Again with the your Fox bullshit, please point out anywhere on here where I've stated watching or supporting Fox News.

Romeo

#79 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:23 pm

wally wrote:
Romeo wrote: too lazy to actually get all the facts .
so similar to blaming a cop for killing a kid before all the facts come out, it's laughable.
http://www.inquisitr.com/1421156/fergus ... ael-brown/
BS

nothing but nothing justifies shooting someone dead who is UNARMED
absolutely nothing. It's murder

Romeo

#80 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 pm

LJF wrote:And YES I stereotype. So do you. As does everyone. It keeps us alive. We look at situations and evaluate them;.......we live based on it. Don't confuse me with PC bullshit. And don't confuse me with your FOX news insanity.

How int the world does this mean there can be no equality? Why am I even doing this with you

I didn't know we were doing anything together, but if you are asking I have no idea why you are doing this with me. Actually I was having a good laugh at you ranting with yourself. You see I've never said that we don't stereotype, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people on this board that bitch when others stereotype to just turn and stereotype themselves. All I've said repeatedly is people can't have it both ways. Don't complain when people stereotype if you yourself do it.[\quote]

Again with the your Fox bullshit, please point out anywhere on here where I've stated watching or supporting Fox News.
Why are you taking the Fox comment and how majority of their viewers are knuckle draggers?
Lady doth protest too much....

Didn't fox hire Sarah Palin as a taking head?? Enough said.

LJF

#81 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:37 pm

I've mentioned Fox because you and SR mention it. It seems to me that is your obsession.

I love how you embrace others with different view points and how open minded you are. Maybe you should read Andrew W.K. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... ng_dad.php.

creep
Site Admin

#82 Post by creep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

LJF wrote: Maybe you should read Andrew W.K. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... ng_dad.php.
who know andrew wk was a smart guy. :noclue:
The world isn't being destroyed by democrats or republicans, red or blue, liberal or conservative, religious or atheist -- the world is being destroyed by one side believing the other side is destroying the world.

Essence_Smith

#83 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 pm

This type of thing will continue to happen because at the end of the day (and this thread is a good example) people are afraid to speak truthfully about race...one of the bravest guys I ever met was a white hipster dude I met 5 years ago who had just moved to Bed Stuy before it became "safe" for white people to live there. Some black kids came up to him and tried to take a bag of McDonalds he was holding. He offered to buy them some food if they were hungry...they laughed and left him alone...and why is he brave imo? Because he admitted to me as a mid western kid new to NYC something we all kinda know:

"A lot of white people are scared of black people bro"...

But guess what? A lot of black people are scared of other black people too...and this fear of people who are different from ourselves or who we feel may pose a threat is nothing new...so let's admit as SR has that yes we all stereotype and it has it's place. The problem is fear is often not a rational thing and when you have people who make their living working in areas where the folks don't look like them and they can't or make no effort to relate to them at all we are going to have major problems.

Some of you surprise me here as I know NONE of you are naive. We've drifted off into the media, looting, etc and we are dancing around the fucking issue...fear caused this to happen...the day we learn to have HONEST discussions about the problems we have with race in this country without pussyfooting around and trying not to hurt each others feelings we'll be way better off...cause people are already being hurt everyday...

LJF

#84 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:This type of thing will continue to happen because at the end of the day (and this thread is a good example) people are afraid to speak truthfully about race...one of the bravest guys I ever met was a white hipster dude I met 5 years ago who had just moved to Bed Stuy before it became "safe" for white people to live there. Some black kids came up to him and tried to take a bag of McDonalds he was holding. He offered to buy them some food if they were hungry...they laughed and left him alone...and why is he brave imo? Because he admitted to me as a mid western kid new to NYC something we all kinda know:

"A lot of white people are scared of black people bro"...

But guess what? A lot of black people are scared of other black people too...and this fear of people who are different from ourselves or who we feel may pose a threat is nothing new...so let's admit as SR has that yes we all stereotype and it has it's place. The problem is fear is often not a rational thing and when you have people who make their living working in areas where the folks don't look like them and they can't or make no effort to relate to them at all we are going to have major problems.

Some of you surprise me here as I know NONE of you are naive. We've drifted off into the media, looting, etc and we are dancing around the fucking issue...fear caused this to happen...the day we learn to have HONEST discussions about the problems we have with race in this country without pussyfooting around and trying not to hurt each others feelings we'll be way better off...cause people are already being hurt everyday...

This is true, but people don't want to say this because of fear of being called a racist. Stereotyping can be a good thing, but it can lead to trouble. It's not easy to admit it.

Essence_Smith

#85 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:15 pm

It's one thing to have a stereotype in your head...how you act on it or treat people as a result of it determines whether it's harmful or not. It's possible to be honest about how you feel about people who are different from you without saying anything that could be considered the least bit racist. Fear of being called a racist is BS...no one's going to kick anyone's ass on the internet...I think the real fear for many is admitting to themselves that perhaps some of their ideas about other races are completely nuts. Most people have a hard time facing themselves and their own flaws more than anything else...

chaos

#86 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Essence_Smith wrote: Some of you surprise me here as I know NONE of you are naive. We've drifted off into the media, looting, etc and we are dancing around the fucking issue...fear caused this to happen...the day we learn to have HONEST discussions about the problems we have with race in this country without pussyfooting around and trying not to hurt each others feelings we'll be way better off...cause people are already being hurt everyday...
ES, the media is complicit in perpetuating the fear.

Many issues have bubbled to the surface as a result of this tragic event, a pattern that unfortunately repeats itself - as you have mentioned. One issue is the infringement of freedom of the press (among other infringements). In order to have an informed discussion, you need informed people; hence the need for informed, competent journalists to be able to do their jobs - and I'm not talking about the shit CNN, MSNBC, or FOX is trying to pass off as journalism; although connected, there is a distinct difference between free speech and free press.

Essence_Smith

#87 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 pm

chaos wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote: Some of you surprise me here as I know NONE of you are naive. We've drifted off into the media, looting, etc and we are dancing around the fucking issue...fear caused this to happen...the day we learn to have HONEST discussions about the problems we have with race in this country without pussyfooting around and trying not to hurt each others feelings we'll be way better off...cause people are already being hurt everyday...

Many issues have bubbled to the surface as a result of this tragic event, a pattern that unfortunately repeats itself - as you have mentioned. One issue is the infringement of freedom of the press (among other infringements). In order to have an informed discussion, you need informed people; hence the need for informed, competent journalists to be able to do their jobs - and I'm not talking about the shit CNN, MSNBC, or FOX is trying to pass off as journalism; although connected, there is a distinct difference between free speech and free press.
I completely understand why the media thread drift is an inevitable part of these conversations, but we clearly need to break the pattern of segueing into it and leaving the real cause of the problem behind. These kinds of deaths are a huge problem and we need to start looking at the bigger picture which is easier said than done of course, but disappointing when it gets overlooked in favor of the results of the death like looting and rioting. To be honest I don't think many white folks are interested in seeing anything change and a lot of black folks don't have the courage to do what it takes to make the changes that are necessary to help themselves and mobilize in the right way to make things happen.

I'll say it again...I think race relations should be part of public school curriculum. It could be part of so called "social studies"...I don't expect it to change things in a major way but a little goes a long way.

chaos

#88 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
chaos wrote:

I completely understand why the media thread drift is an inevitable part of these conversations, but we clearly need to break the pattern of segueing into it and leaving the real cause of the problem behind. These kinds of deaths are a huge problem and we need to start looking at the bigger picture which is easier said than done of course, but disappointing when it gets overlooked in favor of the results of the death like looting and rioting. To be honest I don't think many white folks are interested in seeing anything change and a lot of black folks don't have the courage to do what it takes to make the changes that are necessary to help themselves and mobilize in the right way to make things happen.

I'll say it again...I think race relations should be part of public school curriculum. It could be part of so called "social studies"...I don't expect it to change things in a major way but a little goes a long way.
Well the media is ONE way for the "real" cause to be brought to the surface if it is not being discussed in school, home, etc.

I realize that tone can get lost on the internet, but in many discussions on race - TO BE HONEST- you come across as dismissive and/or condescending. I get you have a perspective that no one the on the board has, as you make clear. Do you really think no one here sees "the bigger picture"? Aren't there numerous paths that can be taken to address the cause/causes?

Essence_Smith

#89 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm

chaos wrote:Well the media is ONE way for the "real" cause to be brought to the surface if it is not being discussed in school, home, etc.

I realize that tone can get lost on the internet, but in many discussions on race - TO BE HONEST- you come across as dismissive and/or condescending. I get you have a perspective that no one the on the board has, as you make clear. Do you really think no one here sees "the bigger picture"? Aren't there numerous paths that can be taken to address the cause/causes?
A LOT was lost regarding my tone because I was totally not trying to be dismissive...what I am is disappointed because I respect the lot of you guys here including you but we've had these threads before and we all (myself included) continue to get into things that imo are part of the problem. Of course the media is huge in affecting people's opinions, attitudes, etc. that in and of itself is part of my overall disappointment with all of this...people need to be able to get information obviously, but also need to learn to read between the lines. Yes undoubtedly I will remind people I do have a different perspective on this, not because mine is more important because I'm black, but because I don't think I or anyone can learn only from others that live the same way they do or experience the same things, etc. I point out the difference because I feel compelled to share it, not because it's coming from a better or more informed place in my own eyes...

I'll share something that happened to me last week...I live in a pretty white area. There are black people out here for sure, but the 5 mile radius is pretty much 85% irish or italian, the rest are indian, pakistani or latino. The other night I'm walking down the block I live on and there were two white kids around 15 walking ahead of me. When I got close enough to pass them, one of them saw me and JUMPED...he said "oh my God you really scared me". I asked if he was ok and he said yes but that he "just didn't want to get jumped"...I assured him I was the last person he had to worry about and kept walking...

I walked away from that one pretty much in shock...I wasn't offended as much as I was disappointed that a young kid in 2014 growing up in NY felt that way and kinda felt sorry for him. Now I could speculate all day on it, but it still sucked...and if you think it had nothing to do with color, fear etc. perhaps maybe he was just startled, we could go back and forth, but him mentioning being jumped kinda says it for me... :noclue:

A few months back two white girls saw me walking a half a block behind them, kept turning around and whispering to one another and then all of the sudden started running for dear life into a nearby pharmacy...that I happened to be walking to myself, lol...when they saw me in the store they bolted out...so I doubt I was imagining things there...and I have a number of situations like that I could mention...

I share this so perhaps it might get people to think a little bit more out of the box maybe? Not at all to be condescending...but I think it's a little different reading about things or seeing things on the news than to hear it from someone like myself who you and others here have interacted with for years. Sorry if I came/come across in a bad way...but being honest NO I don't think many "get it" in a manner because you can't see it from my side of the street on a daily basis...it definitely doesn't mean I don't value yours or anyone else here's perspective/opinion because I have learned from all of you. I wouldn't participate just to stir shit up...I generally like everyone on here and if I didn't see potential to learn, teach, share etc I wouldn't post...

Romeo

#90 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:47 am

This what I care about.
I care about my Great Nephew who is half African American and 22 could very easily be "Michael Brown" or "Sean Bell" or "Trayvon Martin"
He's 90% a bright young adult and 10% a knucklehead, as are most 22 year olds. He sometimes reacts then thinks and his decisions aren't always the best but he lives and learns. I worry about him.

guysmiley

#91 Post by guysmiley » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:02 am

I found this radio debt interesting about the creditability of the digital age of journalism. I think there are some lessons about critical thinking that a majority of the US public might need to step back and take heart in. Again, we can judge the events that have happened since this fallout, but again, we need to understand the perception of all points of view.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio-player?nid=19761

LJF

#92 Post by LJF » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:02 am

Essence_Smith wrote:It's one thing to have a stereotype in your head...how you act on it or treat people as a result of it determines whether it's harmful or not. It's possible to be honest about how you feel about people who are different from you without saying anything that could be considered the least bit racist. Fear of being called a racist is BS...no one's going to kick anyone's ass on the internet...I think the real fear for many is admitting to themselves that perhaps some of their ideas about other races are completely nuts. Most people have a hard time facing themselves and their own flaws more than anything else...

I guess fear might not have been the best word for what happens here, but in the "real" world that is a problem. When having these discussion with live people to be labeled a racist is something to be concerned with. That is a tough label to shake and one that no one should be proud of. On here it's just frustrating because at times I've mentioned things that others on here don't agree with and it just turns into well you are a racist. Example I've mentioned I don't like our president and it becomes it's because he's black. Which has nothing to do with why I don't like his positions. That is a easy way to end a conversation with me. At times it feels like a fall back position, the easy way out. Instead of listening to what is being said and trying to understand a different point of view. If they or myself are in your mind being racist, explain why don't just say fuck off you racist. At that point there really can't be an open discussion.

With what happened to Michael Brown I've held back trying to make any real statements because I don't want to jump to conclusions. I really think there is more to this story and as the days go by more and more info is coming out. This might turn out to be a case of a cop reacting to a black kid because he is black, but I just think there is more to it. People said the cop looked at Michael almost in disbelief of what he did. That to me isn't what someone who killed someone else would do if they did it just they were black.

I could be very wrong and if I am and Michael Brown did have his hands up the cop should go to jail. At this point most people have decided whether the cop is guilty or not, but I don't think we have enough info to make that decision. The media whips us up into this hatred because of color and it just divides us even more. As someone else said earlier we need to step back and wait for all of the info to come out. It was guysmiley who said it.

Essence_Smith

#93 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 am

In the "real" world, you're not going to have these conversations with strangers and if you have them with people of color who you're at the very least acquainted with as I said, you're allowed to state how you feel politely and you should be fine. So who's going to call you a racist? I honestly don't get that and I think it's a cop out...these conversations are RARE in the real world and the ones I've had I started because as you can probably see here, I like to challenge people on these issues not to be confrontational, but because it interests me to know and because I think it can be helpful. On Obama, there are a lot of people who dislike him imo almost instinctively because he's a man of color. Not saying you're like that, but I find it pretty fascinating what other presidents have gotten away with vs the criticism he's received from day one. It'll be interesting to see how history remembers him in years to come. I also think that if his presidency proves anything, it's that racism is alive and thriving these days...who tries to sue the president? :lol:

I don't think ANYTHING will happen to the police in this case. Just like nothing happened to the Sean Bell cops, the Amadou Diallo cops, George Zimmerman, the list goes on...I don't believe the lives of young black men are viewed as valuable enough to pursue it any further. I think some have already made up the story in their heads already...kid robbed store, kid runs and somehow attacks cop, kid gets shot, the end. NOTHING will happen to that cop...black life is cheap. I don't think it matters what they "discover" later on, I think the aftermath of the shooting will overshadow the actual case if there is one, and I think regardless of what the court of public opinion thinks of what evidence actually comes out the legal system will let the cop off the hook.

wally

#94 Post by wally » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 am

Romeo wrote:
wally wrote:
so similar to blaming a cop for killing a kid before all the facts come out, it's laughable.
BS

you're simply wrong. There are times when it's justified.
As is evidenced by the long list of acquittals for people who have done just that.
The world is not as black and white as you want to make it.

LJF

#95 Post by LJF » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 am

Essence_Smith wrote:In the "real" world, you're not going to have these conversations with strangers and if you have them with people of color who you're at the very least acquainted with as I said, you're allowed to state how you feel politely and you should be fine. So who's going to call you a racist? I honestly don't get that and I think it's a cop out...these conversations are RARE in the real world and the ones I've had I started because as you can probably see here, I like to challenge people on these issues not to be confrontational, but because it interests me to know and because I think it can be helpful. On Obama, there are a lot of people who dislike him imo almost instinctively because he's a man of color. Not saying you're like that, but I find it pretty fascinating what other presidents have gotten away with vs the criticism he's received from day one. It'll be interesting to see how history remembers him in years to come. I also think that if his presidency proves anything, it's that racism is alive and thriving these days...who tries to sue the president? :lol:

I don't think ANYTHING will happen to the police in this case. Just like nothing happened to the Sean Bell cops, the Amadou Diallo cops, George Zimmerman, the list goes on...I don't believe the lives of young black men are viewed as valuable enough to pursue it any further. I think some have already made up the story in their heads already...kid robbed store, kid runs and somehow attacks cop, kid gets shot, the end. NOTHING will happen to that cop...black life is cheap. I don't think it matters what they "discover" later on, I think the aftermath of the shooting will overshadow the actual case if there is one, and I think regardless of what the court of public opinion thinks of what evidence actually comes out the legal system will let the cop off the hook.
It's sad that you feel that nothing will be done to the cop even if he was in the wrong. If he was there is no doubt he should have to pay for what he did. He should go to jail for murder. What if for they find evidence that proves without a doubt that Michael Brown did do what the cop and a friend have said he did. That he in fact slammed the door on the cop as he tried to get out, punch him and tried to get his gun. To you would that justify what happened or would it just be a case of another black kid shot by a white cop?

I have had these type of conversations with friends that are white and friends that are black. Usually it's the white friends that the conversations are the most difficult. I enjoy these conversations and think they are very important for people to have. I try to get involved in talking with people about things that challenge them and me.

As far as the president there are people that don't like him because he is half black, but there are people that voted for him because he is half black. Race played a part in his election and is playing a part is his terms as president. But to say that is the only reason someone likes or doesn't like him is wrong. Do you really think this issues are only based on race?

LJF

#96 Post by LJF » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:04 am

Thought this might be of interest.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/opinion/m ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Opinion piece on what autopsy report says and what a medical examiner does.

Romeo

#97 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:41 am

wally wrote:
Romeo wrote:
wally wrote:
BS

As is evidenced by the long list of acquittals for people who have done just that.
name me one time, ONE case where an unarmed person who was shot dead by police was "justified"

Romeo

#98 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

LJF wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:In the "real" world, you're not going to have these conversations with strangers and if you have them with people of color who you're at the very least acquainted with as I said, you're allowed to state how you feel politely and you should be fine. So who's going to call you a racist? I honestly don't get that and I think it's a cop out...these conversations are RARE in the real world and the ones I've had I started because as you can probably see here, I like to challenge people on these issues not to be confrontational, but because it interests me to know and because I think it can be helpful. On Obama, there are a lot of people who dislike him imo almost instinctively because he's a man of color. Not saying you're like that, but I find it pretty fascinating what other presidents have gotten away with vs the criticism he's received from day one. It'll be interesting to see how history remembers him in years to come. I also think that if his presidency proves anything, it's that racism is alive and thriving these days...who tries to sue the president? :lol:

It's sad that you feel that nothing will be done to the cop even if he was in the wrong. If he was there is no doubt he should have to pay for what he did. He should go to jail for murder. What if for they find evidence that proves without a doubt that Michael Brown did do what the cop and a friend have said he did. That he in fact slammed the door on the cop as he tried to get out, punch him and tried to get his gun. To you would that justify what happened or would it just be a case of another black kid shot by a white cop?

I have had these type of conversations with friends that are white and friends that are black. Usually it's the white friends that the conversations are the most difficult. I enjoy these conversations and think they are very important for people to have. I try to get involved in talking with people about things that challenge them and me.

As far as the president there are people that don't like him because he is half black, but there are people that voted for him because he is half black. Race played a part in his election and is playing a part is his terms as president. But to say that is the only reason someone likes or doesn't like him is wrong. Do you really think this issues are only based on race?
That statement is what is wrong with this country.
When will we just hire/elect/choose someone on their qualifications? Not the color of their skin.

I voted twice for Obama. Not because he was black, I felt he was more qualified. He was certainly way more Romney and I think McCain had his brains suck out & replaced with a conservative brain because he used to be a lot more bi-partisan and much more of a moderate. Plus I am sure he was pressured to choose that half wit Palin. If a moderate Republican ever ran I would seriously consider voting for them. But unfortunately that party was allowed to be taken over by ultra conservatives and nutty tea baggers

LJF

#99 Post by LJF » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Romeo wrote:
LJF wrote:

That statement is what is wrong with this country.
When will we just hire/elect/choose someone on their qualifications? Not the color of their skin.

I voted twice for Obama. Not because he was black, I felt he was more qualified. He was certainly way more Romney and I think McCain had his brains suck out & replaced with a conservative brain because he used to be a lot more bi-partisan and much more of a moderate. Plus I am sure he was pressured to choose that half wit Palin. If a moderate Republican ever ran I would seriously consider voting for them. But unfortunately that party was allowed to be taken over by ultra conservatives and nutty tea baggers

I would disagree with you on Obama vs Romney, but that is what it is. I don't think the US is the only place where color plays a part. I agree people shouldn't look at the color of someone's skin or nationality in determining who to vote for. Palin was the reason I didn't vote for McCain. I couldn't trust someone that would choose her or let her be chosen as his running mate. She scares me and her husband maybe even more so.

The Republicans have many problems that they need to get past. Their stance on a lot of social issues is way out of step with reality. A problem is anyone running on the republican ticket needs to get the endorsement of the far right, so they have to play up to that even if they don't really believe it.

wally

#100 Post by wally » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Romeo wrote:
wally wrote:
Romeo wrote:
wally wrote:
BS

name me one time, ONE case where an unarmed person who was shot dead by police was "justified"
1st:that's not what you said. you said NEVER, now you want to qualify it with "by police"
2nd: justified in who's eyes? i can point to very many acquittals of officers indicted for shooting someone. I'm sure you wouldn't be satisfied with any of them, but in many cases juries of 12 were.