Michael Brown

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Essence_Smith

Re: Michael Brown

#26 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 pm

There was a time when people of color who were trying to make a statement had leadership who encouraged them to love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek and to respond to aggression in a non violent fashion. That time suited the era and what we're seeing now is a reflection of the era we live in now...I've been to many a "no justice no peace" rally in my time where people protesting did nothing to provoke the police and ended up getting their asses kicked, tear gassed and arrested. I'm not advocating violence, but how should people properly express outrage and frustration with a situation that is pretty much epidemic from coast to coast?

SR

#27 Post by SR » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm

CNN seems hell bent on crucifying someone for those arrests.

chaos

#28 Post by chaos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 pm

hokahey wrote:There's a TON of misinformation out there.
It seems as though the Ferguson authorities do not want to provide any info and, based on their treatment of several news people/crews last night, do not want to let reporters gather any info. Journalists were thrown in jail and not charged with any crime.

There were live streams posted on social media as events unfolded yesterday. Very disturbing.

chaos

#29 Post by chaos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:54 pm

hokahey wrote:
I saw a headline on HuffPo that said "Baghdad USA" and I just can't anymore. I really can't. What a disgusting headline.
Some of the pictures of Ferguson did look pretty scary.

Another contributing factor to the analogy, posts like this:

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/ ... 3830676480

Romeo

#30 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 am

it seems things have calmed down now that the state police have taken over.

Romeo

#31 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... ael-brown/

Ummmm so a "The officer wrote that the store clerk got the description of the suspect as wearing a white T-shirt, khaki shorts, yellow socks and a red St. Louis Cardinals baseball cap. The officer was also told that another black male was with him."
Couldn't that describe 90% of black males in MO? And people in MO are stating that QT workers wear red shirts so the "alleged" stills questionable

LJF

#32 Post by LJF » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:44 am

So which account do you believe? And how do we get the real truth if there isn't a video or something that proves exactly what happened?

Police have said Brown was shot after an officer encountered him and another man on the street during a routine patrol. They say one of the men pushed the officer into his squad car, then physically assaulted him in the vehicle and struggled with the officer over the officer's weapon. At least one shot was fired inside the car before the struggle spilled onto the street, where Brown was shot multiple times, according to police.

Dorian Johnson has told media a different story. He said he and Brown were walking in the street when an officer ordered them onto the sidewalk, then grabbed his friend's neck and tried to pull him into the car before brandishing his weapon and firing. He said Brown started to run and the officer pursued him, firing multiple times.

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:40 am

Just too many questions that can be easily answered still lingering.

Surely, there's video of Brown in the store at least scuffling with the store owner, if not footage as well of Brown stealing those coveted cigars. The preliminary autopsy should show the basic angle(s) Brown was shot which would go a long way towards corroborating one of the wildly differing accounts of the shooting. Are there Browns prints on the cops gun which would bolster the claim Brown grabbed (at) it?

It's only a matter of time before something like this is going to happen in LA, NYC, Chicago or some other major city under just the "right" set of circumstances that's going to spark the kind of insanity and military response we had here in LA back in '92 in the wake of the Rodney King verdict.

Essence_Smith

#34 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:47 am

The truth is that there are countless situations where people of color are profiled and mishandled by the police and more often than not as is human nature the police will do and say whatever they need to to cover their tracks.

The truth is the police in this country and a lot of places act like thugs themselves and tend to view the same public they're sworn to protect in a jaded and cynical fashion in general.

The truth is there is a long line of unarmed black males who have been killed out of fear, etc.

The truth is that there is a prison system in this country that is big business so it doesn't benefit the powers that be to fight or change the stereotypes in any way shape or form. So while I can't say I advocate violence I can understand why people will act out when the police behave this way all over the country. There's clearly a huge problem here from coast to coast, and while clearly not all black males aren't angels, the idea that most of them are criminals or any other negative stereotype you'd like to apply has been around since slavery, and just as it was then is still being used to justify not giving the proper human rights this country claims to have.

Romeo

#35 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:46 am

Even IF and I say "IF Brown was the alleged assailant who took $50 of cigars in a "strong arm robbery", there was no weapon used and it's "petty theft"
Anyone from MO who have seen the pictures said QT employees wear red shirts. The employee in the picture being manhandled is wearing a plaid button down shirt. So where exactly did this petty theft occur?

Too much time has passed, too much time for a cover up. The fact is an unarmed man was shot on Monday. The Police didn't issue a statement until Friday. That's bullshit

Romeo

#36 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:18 pm

so now...
Michael wasn't a suspect when he was stopped.
SO why bring it up? To character attack the dead kid?

http://gawker.com/cop-who-killed-mike-b ... 1622381365

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this is one fucked up Police Dept.

creep
Site Admin

#37 Post by creep » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:27 pm

i have just read a little bit on this. apparently there was a shot in the car and then he was apparently shot running away and then turned around and was shot more times. was an autopsy released? was he actually shot in the back?

MorningGlory123

#38 Post by MorningGlory123 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:The truth is that there are countless situations where people of color are profiled and mishandled by the police and more often than not as is human nature the police will do and say whatever they need to to cover their tracks.

The truth is the police in this country and a lot of places act like thugs themselves and tend to view the same public they're sworn to protect in a jaded and cynical fashion in general.

The truth is there is a long line of unarmed black males who have been killed out of fear, etc.

The truth is that there is a prison system in this country that is big business so it doesn't benefit the powers that be to fight or change the stereotypes in any way shape or form. So while I can't say I advocate violence I can understand why people will act out when the police behave this way all over the country. There's clearly a huge problem here from coast to coast, and while clearly not all black males aren't angels, the idea that most of them are criminals or any other negative stereotype you'd like to apply has been around since slavery, and just as it was then is still being used to justify not giving the proper human rights this country claims to have.
We had the same here in the UK, with the Met initially attempting (and failing) to cover up their killing/brutality of De Menezes or Tomlinson. Absolutely no disincentive not to lie about it, nothing happened when their 'version' of events was quickly disproved.

As for today, it's funny how our supposed liberal democracies quickly resemble a police state over something like a right to protest. Taste the freedom, Ferguson.

wally

#39 Post by wally » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Romeo wrote:so now...
Michael wasn't a suspect when he was stopped.
SO why bring it up? To character attack the dead kid?

http://gawker.com/cop-who-killed-mike-b ... 1622381365

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this is one fucked up Police Dept.
in the interview with the chief today when asked by a reporter why the brought the footage out now, he replied. "because you asked for it."
It may be a character attack on FPD's part, but it also indicates a state of mind of Brown.

The robbery happened minutes before he was shot. He might have been defensive or combative because he thought he was going to be arrested for the robbery.

Romeo wrote:Even IF and I say "IF Brown was the alleged assailant who took $50 of cigars in a "strong arm robbery", there was no weapon used and it's "petty theft"
Anyone from MO who have seen the pictures said QT employees wear red shirts. The employee in the picture being manhandled is wearing a plaid button down shirt. So where exactly did this petty theft occur?
The friend he was with at the time of his death admitted that they were in the shop and that Brown stole a box of swisher sweets.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/articl ... 690307.php

or you can compare the images from the store with that of him lying dead in the street,(i ain't gonna post it though) it's him.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#40 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:The truth is that there are countless situations where people of color are profiled and mishandled by the police and more often than not as is human nature the police will do and say whatever they need to to cover their tracks.

Excellent post.

Also, it doesn't matter what he did at QT in regards to being shot. So that's all irrelevant really.

And there's no disputing he was shot and laid dead some 30 feet from the patrol car, and was unarmed. So, he was in fact murdered.

Pure Method

#41 Post by Pure Method » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:32 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
LJF wrote:A side note...the term "reverse" racism is BS to me...black people don't have the power to be racist...prejudice yes, racist no. There is a distinct difference...

I'm curious to know how black people can't be racist. Or why you think black people don't have the power to be racist.
racism is institutionalized and stems from institutionalized power. black people do not belong to the dominant majority and therefore do not have the power to impose their prejudices and preferences on the majority culture. that is why ES says they can be prejudiced but not racist.[/quote]

I find the term racism to be misleading. I think each individual's race informs their outlook on the world and how they relate to those around them, not biologically, but because of the historical significance of race in our world. So yes, I do think that blacks can be racist, and in certain instances, may also oppress others, though this is far less frequent, likely, and potent than white oppression.

chaos

#42 Post by chaos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 pm

The press conference held earlier today was a disaster. It is going a looooong night tonight in Ferguson. :sad:

chaos

#43 Post by chaos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 pm

An interesting read:

https://medium.com/message/ferguson-is- ... 2f3db51eb0

What Happens to #Ferguson Affects Ferguson: Net Neutrality, Algorithmic Filtering and Ferguson

But I’m not quite sure that without the neutral side of the Internet—the livestreams whose “packets” were fast as commercial, corporate and moneyed speech that travels on our networks, Twitter feeds which are not determined by an opaque corporate algorithms but my own choices,—we’d be having this conversation.

chaos

#44 Post by chaos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:16 pm

The media is corralled in a pen, so nothing is being shown on TV.

Here is a live stream from Vice news: http://new.livestream.com/timcast/events/3295551

guysmiley

#45 Post by guysmiley » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 am

All I can say is, everyone needs to clam the fuck down. No one knows 100% of all that went down. Everyone is over reacting and ready to call this something other (from what we know) than a series of bad decisions that escalated. Sure, being black probably raises your likelihood of getting shot by the police by 90%. That should be taught in schools at this point. I don't even talk back to cops for fear of a beat down.

What we know happened. Dude walks into as convenient store and takes a bunch of cigars and pushes the clerk out of the way of the door. Yes no guns. A police officer unaware of that situation see the two dudes in the middle of the street. (I'm sorry, but these guys are morons) Something after that happens. A struggle? Something. But, that's what we don't know. He could have been reaching for the cops gun, we don't know. Micheal's friend seemed to change his story about admitting to robbing the store later, so his account seems shady.

People see the gun down and of course freak, not understanding what caused this escalation. Flash forward and we have protests. Fine. Understandable. But, then we get a few assholes who decide this is the time to go looting. Hence the police presence and standoffs we have up to today.

I'm really on the fence about all of this. I see people on facebook freaking out about the militarization of the police and so on, but I wonder what people would say if the police did nothing to stop to looting? Innocent people and business owners would be up in arms. Everyone involved needs to back up and take a deep breath.

Oh, and every single fucker on this planet can be, and at some point IS Racist. I get it here in Japan even. Yes, imperialization and many other things institutionalized it, but that doesn't mean all people can't be racist.

LJF

#46 Post by LJF » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:45 am

Can anyone explain to me why the looting? How does that help the community that you live in? It shows a complete lack of respect for your community. Protesting I get, but looting never made any sense to me.

guysmiley

#47 Post by guysmiley » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:43 am

LJF wrote:Can anyone explain to me why the looting? How does that help the community that you live in? It shows a complete lack of respect for your community. Protesting I get, but looting never made any sense to me.
That's the part that has me lost. :noclue:

chaos

#48 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:42 am

guysmiley wrote: Micheal's friend seemed to change his story about admitting to robbing the store later, so his account seems shady.
:hs:

His story hasn't changed. Dorian Johnson didn't tell reporters about the convenience store incident. He started his story at the point where they were walking in the street. However, he did tell the FBI about it 3 or 4 days before the tape was released. Speaking to the FBI was the first time any law enforcement interviewed him.

The people looting Friday and Saturday were not from the community (not sure about the other days); however, I don't think the State Troopers should have chosen to throw up their hands on Friday and stay back. There were young black men who stood in front of the stores and kept people from looting. Talk about bravery considering it is open season. I have seen the same photo of them blocking the doors over and over on network television when the talking heads are discussing the looting, but they neglect to mention that those are the (young) peaceful protesters keeping people out.

I really started to pay attention to this story on Wednesday. That's when there was essentially a media a blackout (for the media that was actually paying attention.) It was chaos on Wednesday because they were arresting and gassing reporters who were not even near the protesters. The police were out of control. There is a lot more info online with people on the ground posting vine videos and live streams. For example, last night, vice news was streaming about the smoke bombs, tear gas, and the activity surrounding the shooting incident (last night's incident - a protester was shot). While at the same time CNN (on the ground in their press pen) was reporting that everything was calm, and MSNBC was airing Caught on Camera. It wasn't until twitter exploded that CNN and MSNBC got on board 30 minutes later and tried to catch up.

I'm worried about what is going to happen when they finally release the autopsy report which will indicate how Brown was shot, as well as the number of times. Are the findings going to match the officer's version, or the versions of Johnson and the witnesses.

guysmiley

#49 Post by guysmiley » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:08 am

I watched the Vice thing a few hours ago. I don't understand people staying out past midnight to protest, especially since there was a curfew. Yes, I finally saw the stories of people stopping the looting. I agree, there is not a lot of reliable info out there. But, again. Everyone needs to keep the peace and get a hold of this situation.

chaos

#50 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 am