obamacare

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Romeo

Re: obamacare

#41 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:02 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:I'll just save everyone time and energy and admit it: I'm a welfare queen.
YOU GO GURL!! :banana:

Romeo

#42 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 am

LJF wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
LJF wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Did you qualify for Medicaid? Looks like it's "free" for some low-income people: https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/

Of course "free" is context-sensitive...
Yup that's what ended up happening. Until I find a full time job with benefits, no shame in the game for me.
That makes LJF's comment even weirder. Does he really think you didn't understand that taxes fund social welfare programs? :confused: (Hey, um... is that mansplaining? :noclue: :lol: )

I mean: no one gets confused by the fact that non-toll highways ("freeways"?) are "free" in the sense of being a thing you can use without having to pay a person immediately or specifically... :confused:

"My healthcare wil be free"', those were her exact words. It bothers me, when people say that. If that's weird to you well not sure what to tell you.
In all states, Medicaid provides free or low-cost care for some low-income people, families and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities.
I don't know if you're just intentionally being obtuse because you're ideologically bound to focus only on the fact that governance uses taxes to pay for what it does, or if you're actually incapable of understanding how words work...
Sorry you can't understand that I find it annoying or frustrating when people says something like healthcare is "free" when it isn't. It's just one of those things that gets me. So please carry on with your deep analysis.

Actually, if SHE is working P/T, SHE is paying taxes. Therefore SHE is paying her own insurance.

But next time you drive on the Southern State Parkway or the LIE, you can thank me for your free drive. You didn't pay a toll and my taxes go for the up keep.

Hype

#43 Post by Hype » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 am

Actually, if SHE is working P/T, SHE is paying taxes. Therefore SHE is paying her own insurance.
Isn't there a "minimum personal exemption" for income taxes? I know there is in Canada, so that you get back all the taxes paid on the first $10-11,000 of income or so (this is for everyone, as I understand it...). And even if she does pay taxes, that shouldn't really matter, since the idea behind paying taxes isn't "to pay for the things you use", it's "to fund the government so that a commonwealth can function", whatever that means (and it means different things to different people at different times).

LJF

#44 Post by LJF » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:41 am

But next time you drive on the Southern State Parkway or the LIE, you can thank me for your free drive. You didn't pay a toll and my taxes go for the up keep.[/quote]

Ok thanks you just proved my point, it isn't for free. So how is what you said any different from what I said? No one is jumping all over you. Everyone jumped on it and took it whatever way they wanted which is fine. If you read what I wrote it simply says it isn't for free. I didn't say I'm paying for it, or you're paying for it, or anyone in particular just it isn't free.

I don't drive or at least haven't yet driven on the southern state parkway or the LIE, but when I do I will send you a personal thank you. Would you like that in a note, e-mail, or PM. My hand writing is terrible so if you want it hand written sorry in advance it will be difficult to read.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:17 pm

:neutral:

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 am

LJF, do you think this case is fair: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Te ... 62931.html ?

LJF

#47 Post by LJF » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:58 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:LJF, do you think this case is fair: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Te ... 62931.html ?

Taken at face value, I'd like to think they would not fire the guy. I don't know what their policies are, but again I'd like to think that someone in that position isn't treated that way. I think treating employees the right way and taking care of them to the best of the companies ability is good for everyone. You get loyal employees that what to work for you, do a good job and have a good attitude. The company needs to be able to make money, if not it's bad for everyone.

They will need to hire someone else or increase the shifts for other delivery people, but when the guy is recovered I'd like to think his job is still there. Never been a business owner, maybe Juana can give a better answer.

Hype

#48 Post by Hype » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:11 pm

Your response is interesting... you'd like to think a bunch of good stuff... well, so would we all. But why should basic human decency be left to luck? Especially in cases where real harm can be done?

Temp. agencies exist. As does asking current workers to all pitch in to cover for the guy's shifts. But if a business owner doesn't want to do that, they don't have to, unless there are labour laws or unions involved. And shouldn't there be? :wink:

Essence_Smith

#49 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:And shouldn't there be? :wink:
:essence:
Fuck the poor and uneducated...if you can't take care of yourself, then ya need to work harder...

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah because reasonable regulation means rampant unemployment!

I'd laugh, but it's fucking terrible that people actually think this.

creep
Site Admin

#51 Post by creep » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 pm

another awesome thing i found out today while doing my taxes. since i wasn't working most of the year i cashed some investments in and that counts as income so now i have to pay back the assistance i got. there goes $1300.

i went from liking this plan to not liking it so much. now my friends can't give me shit like they were when they were telling me that they were paying for my health insurance.

Hype

#52 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:14 am

Doesn't that seem like a good thing, in general, though? So that people who have enough wealth don't get to take money from the affordable care system just because they might be (temporarily) unemployed? It still helped you temporarily, right?

This is why a single-payer insurance system is better: everyone gets to use it, regardless of income/wealth, etc., so it provides affordable baseline health coverage.

But the Republicans didn't even want the act in the first place, so you guys got stuck with a weird Romney-Care Act.

creep
Site Admin

#53 Post by creep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 am

it's not fair if it takes money out of my pocket.

so i was paying $322 a month for the lowest medical plan that has a $5000 deductible that i have to pay before it kicks in at 60% coverage.

before the healthcare act i was paying $150 for the same coverage. with the assistance i was paying basically the same. now without it i am paying double what it was.

Hype

#54 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 am

creep wrote:it's not fair if it takes money out of my pocket.

so i was paying $322 a month for the lowest medical plan that has a $5000 deductible that i have to pay before it kicks in at 60% coverage.

before the healthcare act i was paying $150 for the same coverage. with the assistance i was paying basically the same. now without it i am paying double what it was.
I see. Well, like I said, I think the system should have been set up as a single-payer federal insurer, but the marketplace scheme that they've created, combined with the "if you like your plan you can keep it" half-truth... means that probably not everyone will save money compared to what they were paying if they had insurance before the ACA...

Is your insurer private? If so, then it's them, not the ACA that I'd blame... Because it doesn't seem like anyone's forced to raise the deductibles/contribution minimums, etc., unless they just care about profits... which I'd guess is what this is about. I think the idea was supposed to be that you should be able to shop around for a better plan, and that this would incentivize lowering of rates... but that doesn't seem to have happened yet... maybe because people aren't shopping around enough. :noclue:

blackcoffee

#55 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:03 pm

I heard on NPR the other day (so it must be true) that the plan Obama got passed is more conservative than Romney's plan where he was governor and the plan Nixon wanted to roll out.