Do you believe in White Privilege?

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
SR

Re: Do you believe in White Privilege?

#81 Post by SR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:That was beautiful, and if the law as explained by this gent is true, anyone would get away with it.....if not then, eventually. :rockon:
I'm good with people checking the cops...but let's be honest about the fact that not all of us can do that without getting hurt...it really is a privilege...
No, I don't agree here that this is a privilege (of whites); it's a right of all citizens, and will result in different scenarios depending upon the officer and the ability of the citizen to both communicate the law, his/her rights, and the cadence of his/her delivery. A stereotypical 'Bubba' or 'Cletus' very well might have the results you prognosticate for a non white.

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:34 am

That could've also been staged for that guy's political campaign...

Essence_Smith

#83 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:58 pm

SR wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:That was beautiful, and if the law as explained by this gent is true, anyone would get away with it.....if not then, eventually. :rockon:
I'm good with people checking the cops...but let's be honest about the fact that not all of us can do that without getting hurt...it really is a privilege...
No, I don't agree here that this is a privilege (of whites); it's a right of all citizens, and will result in different scenarios depending upon the officer and the ability of the citizen to both communicate the law, his/her rights, and the cadence of his/her delivery. A stereotypical 'Bubba' or 'Cletus' very well might have the results you prognosticate for a non white.
I have seen a black man do something similar when the police tried to arrest his 11 year old son...I forget the state and what laws he quoted exactly, but he hit them with a ton of bricks and they backed off of him and his son...but personally I think they just got tired of him quoting very specific laws and codes...
Adurentibus Spina wrote:That could've also been staged for that guy's political campaign...
:nod:
I can't see NYPD sitting there for that...someone here would have told him to go fuck himself and snatched his camera...

SR

#84 Post by SR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Ugg. Es, you tend to do this often...'I've personally seen this, therefore it's universally true' thing frequently. I know; I've seen it happen.

Essence_Smith

#85 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:10 am

SR wrote:Ugg. Es, you tend to do this often...'I've personally seen this, therefore it's universally true' thing frequently. I know; I've seen it happen.
I hear you, I am definitely guilty of this from time to time and every now and again I remind myself that because I or anyone else's experience informs a particular outlook it doesn't make it "true"...believe me I'm aware...In this situation do I feel like could a black guy do it? Yes absolutely...it is a possibility...however imo it's unlikely that it would be met with cooperation even if the cop was totally wrong, but it could happen... :wink:

For some reason I just thought of Henry Louis Gates getting arrested in front of his own house... :hehe:

SR

#86 Post by SR » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:07 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:Ugg. Es, you tend to do this often...'I've personally seen this, therefore it's universally true' thing frequently. I know; I've seen it happen.
I hear you, I am definitely guilty of this from time to time and every now and again I remind myself that because I or anyone else's experience informs a particular outlook it doesn't make it "true"...believe me I'm aware...In this situation do I feel like could a black guy do it? Yes absolutely...it is a possibility...however imo it's unlikely that it would be met with cooperation even if the cop was totally wrong, but it could happen... :wink:

For some reason I just thought of Henry Louis Gates getting arrested in front of his own house... :hehe:
:tiphat:, fatso.....jk.....you're likely a fairly lean 206.

LJF

#87 Post by LJF » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Two very interesting and different opinions on Mia Love, one of which I think they are saying she won as a result of white privilege.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/darron-t- ... 16466.html

I tend to like LZ Granderson's article better:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/05/opinion/g ... e-victory/

Hype

#88 Post by Hype » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 am

Both of those articles are kind of stupid. And from what I've seen, this woman is too. But it is probably remarkable that voters would ignore race and sex in order to vote for a person whose stupidity matches their own.

http://love4utah.com/issues/

I agree that it's probably crazy to think she actually "has" "white privilege" (which is why that Huff-Po article is stupid). But there's an important point here that was probably intended. Look at her actual policies.
These are my proposals to fix the broken tax system:

Vote against all net tax increases

Support a simpler tax system that reduces the tax burden for working Americans

Eliminate the federal death tax (also known as the estate tax)

Work to reduce payroll tax rates to pre-2013 levels

Lower America’s corporate tax rate, which is currently the highest in the world, so that we can encourage companies to keep jobs in America

Oppose increases in capital gains and dividend taxes

Work to simplify the tax code and reduce the need to hire a tax expert
She claims: "Moreover, the federal government needs to reduce its spending rather than take more hard-earned money from American workers."

But the policy decisions listed above do the exact opposite of that. They don't help workers, they help employers help themselves (and we have seen clear evidence that this doesn't result in trickle-down employee benefits). They don't result in reduced federal spending. Why? Because she is IN FAVOUR of Medicare and SS spending. Not just preserving these federal spending juggernauts, but expanding them: "Seniors have spent their entire working lives paying into Medicare and Social Security, and they deserve all the benefits they receive from those programs. As a member of Congress, I will fight to protect and strengthen Medicare and Social Security to ensure our seniors receive the benefits they deserve. We owe a special debt of gratitude to Utah’s seniors, and I remain committed to upholding and enhancing their quality of life."

Hence: she's an idiot and people clearly voted for her because she said things that toe the Republican (white) line, benefit (almost entirely white) corporate heads, and old people (the only area where minorities will see any kind of equal treatment under policies she supports, and even here it makes no sense because most minorities have a younger population than the white majority... so Medicaid expansion is pandering to the white majority while somehow simultaneously claiming that the feds should cut spending -- pandering to the white minority (i.e., the 1%).

So yeah, it's stupid to call this "white privilege", but I don't think it's stupid to think that she won election because the democratic alternative simply didn't say things (however consistent or not) that resonated with the mostly white voters of Utah.