Religion Quiz - Your knowledge vs. various groups

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Jasper

Religion Quiz - Your knowledge vs. various groups

#1 Post by Jasper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.

How will you do on the quiz?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0105/ ... bath-begin

:dunce: or :know: ?

intertwoven

Re: Religion Quiz - Your knowledge vs. various groups

#2 Post by intertwoven » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm

26 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 81%.

I've been gravitating more and more from agnostic to atheist over the past year or two. But by saying that, I'm probably jinxing myself to a 3am visit from Jesus one of these nights.

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

You answered 27 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 84%.
i got the question wrong about where jesus was born. :dunce: :lol:

farrellgirl99

#4 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 pm

those questions were really easy but i still got 26/32 :conf:

atleast im better than all the averages including my former people, the catholics

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:27 pm

29 of 32 here...

Some questions were a good reminder of how stupid humans can be.

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 pm

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:08 pm

i made it through 10 questions but it was taking way too long. i hate when you have to go through one question at a time and check the answer. give me all the questions on one page and i will take it. someone work on that.

...and it's bullshit that jasper posted this and didn't post his score.

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, I *am* an atheist (and also highly educated, and also from a non-traditional upbringing, and also work directly on a philosopher who was a religious heretic), so I kinda figure I'm not the target demographic for this quiz, but:

"Quiz results
Correct
Wrong
You answered 31 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 97%."

... The one I got wrong was about the preacher most associated with "The Great Awakening"... I don't think that's a very important question. :lol:

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Artemis wrote:
It seems to be very common for cultural Christians, especially ones who have never read the Bible, or only read parts of it as kids, to forget this. I just had to remind some family of the actual location by talking a Christmas carol at them. :lol:

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Artemis wrote:
It seems to be very common for cultural Christians, especially ones who have never read the Bible, or only read parts of it as kids, to forget this. I just had to remind some family of the actual location by talking a Christmas carol at them. :lol:
I did click Bethlehem first then second guesses myself. I was thinking of that series Jesus of Nazareth then clicked Nazareth instead.

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 pm

creep wrote:...and it's bullshit that jasper posted this and didn't post his score.
Frighteningly enough, I got the exact same score as Hype, and the exact same question wrong. :confused: :lostit: :jasper:

I also thought of you when I posted it. I knew the crappy format would piss you off. I agree, it sucked.

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:...and it's bullshit that jasper posted this and didn't post his score.
Frighteningly enough, I got the exact same score as Hype, and the exact same question wrong. :confused: :lostit: :jasper:

I also thought of you when I posted it. I knew the crappy format would piss you off. I agree, it sucked.
Seriously, who gives a fuck about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Awakening

The questions were VERY heavily weighted toward American Protestantism, with token basics about other world Religions. For non-Americans, the "Great Awakening" (apparently there have been more than one of these) has very little significance (though Seventh Day Adventism and Mormonism do seem to have growing memberships in Canada).

farrellgirl99

#13 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Seriously, who gives a fuck about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Awakening

The questions were VERY heavily weighted toward American Protestantism, with token basics about other world Religions. For non-Americans, the "Great Awakening" (apparently there have been more than one of these) has very little significance (though Seventh Day Adventism and Mormonism do seem to have growing memberships in Canada).
ive learned about the great awakening in atleast 3 different school years in my life (8th grade, 11th grade, first year of college). that question was a no brainer for me :lol:

sinep

#14 Post by sinep » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:55 pm

30/32.

raised catholic by my mom, went to my last mass the weekend before my 18th birthday. i've studied religion quite a bit, both formally and informally.

i got wrong:

"which of these groups teaches that salvation comes from faith alone?"

i put protestants and catholics. i guess catholics believe in the sacraments as a path to salvation? idk...

that was kind of a bullshit question.

and i have no fucking clue who Maimonides is.

full disclosure: i really didn't know who the preacher was from the first great awakening, but i guessed correctly.

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:57 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Jasper wrote:

ive learned about the great awakening in atleast 3 different school years in my life (8th grade, 11th grade, first year of college). that question was a no brainer for me :lol:
Honestly I just don't get it. It has no significance outside of the United States, and even INSIDE the United States, it seems like an idea concocted by religious conservatives for strange pseudo-Nationalist/patriotic or revisionist historicist reasons... Which makes it even more frightening that it's apparently, given your anecdote, a focus of American education in some respect.

You'd think the nation with the first explicit constitutional rule against establishment or infringement of religion would be the last country to engage in this stupid sort of artificially inflated story about its religious history, at least in public schools. :confused:

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 pm

sinep wrote:"which of these groups teaches that salvation comes from faith alone?"

i put protestants and catholics. i guess catholics believe in the sacraments as a path to salvation? idk...

that was kind of a bullshit question.

and i have no fucking clue who Maimonides is.
That question isn't bullshit. It's part of the reason Protestantism exists in the first place. That's a pretty major world-historical fact.

And of course you don't know who Maimonides is. :lol:

mockbee

#17 Post by mockbee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:00 pm

26/32

Being raised athiest I'd say I did alright, but I suppose that is supposed to give me a leg up though......:hs: :hehe:

A lot of those questions were dumb and easy, the Bible ones that were not self evident, like Moses (Charleston Heston parting the sea) and Jesus (the manger was in Bethlehem, I assume that's where the baby was too!), threw me off.

MYXYLPLYX

#18 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 pm

You answered 30 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 94%.
I brain farted on Abraham. :dunce:

I also never learned a damn thing about any Great Awakening (that I recall) and I was a history major? :hs:

... I guessed on Maimonides. :nod:

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:02 pm

mockbee wrote:26/32

Being raised athiest I'd say I did alright, but I suppose that is supposed to give me a leg up though......:hs: :hehe:

A lot of those questions were dumb and easy, the Bible ones that were not self evident, like Moses (Charleston Heston parting the sea) and Jesus (the manger was in Bethlehem, I assume that's where the baby was too!), threw me off.
If a lot of those questions are really dumb and easy, then why does the "Average American" get half of them wrong? :lol:

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:

I also never learned a damn thing about any Great Awakening (that I recall) and I was a history major? :hs:

:no: I'm disappointed in all you JA fans who love a band with a Jewish singer and drummer. Maimonides was a medieval Jewish philosopher who wrote the Guide for the Perplexed. He was also known as Rambam (or RMBM: Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon). Back in the medieval era, the schools (in Europe, but also in the Arab world) taught mostly Aristotle and Aristotle-tinged theology. At that time, the Catholic saints Thomas Aquinas and Augustine were both very good philosophers, as were the Jews Maimonides, Gersonides, and the Muslims Averroes and Avicenna.

Even if you don't know much about what any of those guys actually wrote, I think it's good general trivia to know that they're the main canonical medieval thinkers of the three main Abrahamic religions.

mockbee

#21 Post by mockbee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

If a lot of those questions are really dumb and easy, then why does the "Average American" get half of them wrong? :lol:
Well..... a lot of us are dumb and easy, so you got me! :hehe:

And be careful, we're only allowed to make fun of ourselves.... :essence: :wink:

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 pm

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Well..... a lot of us are dumb and easy, so you got me! :hehe:

And be careful, we're only allowed to make fun of ourselves.... :essence: :wink:
Well, I think it speaks highly of you guys that (so far) you're all above average in your knowledge of world religions. :cheers: And if anyone doesn't score highly, relax, it's probably just ignorance, which can be fixed. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:

:no: I'm disappointed in all you JA fans who love a band with a Jewish singer and drummer. Maimonides was a medieval Jewish philosopher who wrote the Guide for the Perplexed. He was also known as Rambam (or RMBM: Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon). Back in the medieval era, the schools (in Europe, but also in the Arab world) taught mostly Aristotle and Aristotle-tinged theology. At that time, the Catholic saints Thomas Aquinas and Augustine were both very good philosophers, as were the Jews Maimonides, Gersonides, and the Muslims Averroes and Avicenna.

Even if you don't know much about what any of those guys actually wrote, I think it's good general trivia to know that they're the main canonical medieval thinkers of the three main Abrahamic religions.
why should we know anything about jewish philosophers??? just because some guys in a band that we like are jewish? maybe if we were philosophy majors we would have heard of them. i was never taught religion ever and i'm fine with that. i've never heard of maimonides and i have never heard of the great awaking. :noclue:

MYXYLPLYX

#24 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:

I took several semesters of archaic/classical Greek history up through Hellenistic/Roman era. Read plenty of original texts from Homer to Herodotus. Only really studied Hebrews in that context... :noclue:
Last edited by MYXYLPLYX on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrellgirl99

#25 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 pm

creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:

why should we know anything about jewish philosophers??? just because some guys in a band that we like are jewish? maybe if we were philosophy majors we would have heard of them. i was never taught religion ever and i'm fine with that. i've never heard of maimonides and i have never heard of the great awaking. :noclue:
ive never heard of maimonides either. but i went to catholic school for 14 years :hehe: