Site Admin

Re: The Cops Behaving Badly Thread

#43 Post by creep » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 pm

did this guy deserve to be killed?

pick it up at 20:30

Pandemonium

#44 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:08 pm

creep wrote:did this guy deserve to be killed?

It's kind of hard to tell if they fired on him while he was still trying to get his car moving after the crash which would be a legitimate use of deadly force as a automobile is considered a lethal weapon and he clearly showed no regard for life when he smashed into that car. If they started firing on him when he got out of the car..... mmmmaybe, maybe not necessary, but after what just happened, that guy could have been up to anything when he got out of the car and the cops had a split second to react. I know if I was in that car that got T-boned especially if any friends or family where also in the car with me, I'd personally congratulate the cop(s) that shot the fucker.

creep
Site Admin

#45 Post by creep » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

It's kind of hard to tell if they fired on him while he was still trying to get his car moving after the crash which would be a legitimate use of deadly force as a automobile is considered a lethal weapon and he clearly showed no regard for life when he smashed into that car.
yeah that's what i thought. if they were shooting at him (which they probably were) when he was in the car then that is probably justified by law. once they are shooting they are shooting to kill so once he gets out they are going to keep firing. still doesn't seem right seeing a guy shot with clearly no weapon.

kv

#46 Post by kv » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 am

looks rough...but the asshole had already used his weapon...the car

wally

#47 Post by wally » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

It's kind of hard to tell if they fired on him while he was still trying to get his car moving after the crash which would be a legitimate use of deadly force as a automobile is considered a lethal weapon and he clearly showed no regard for life when he smashed into that car.
That car he smashed into had a red light at the intersection, which they ran.
you can see it here...
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/corvet ... 1483196280

Pandemonium

#48 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm actually surprised (but I guess I shouldn't be) that the two Fullerton, CA cops were found innocent of beating Kelly Thomas, the mentally ill homeless guy to death. I didn't think they'd get Murder 2, but I did think Manslaughter was an easy conviction. The video is pretty hard to watch (linked in the story):

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z2qKMOoZfD

Juana

#49 Post by Juana » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:48 am

Pandemonium wrote:I'm actually surprised (but I guess I shouldn't be) that the two Fullerton, CA cops were found innocent of beating Kelly Thomas, the mentally ill homeless guy to death. I didn't think they'd get Murder 2, but I did think Manslaughter was an easy conviction. The video is pretty hard to watch (linked in the story):

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z2qKMOoZfD
The real criminal is the bar manager that caused all of this, that person and the ownership deserve to be put in a barrel in the desert.

tvrec

#50 Post by tvrec » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 am

The bar is owned by some guy or guys in the band Lit. I don't recall if it was the owner that made the initial call, but it was bullshit right down the line. Whoever made the call should feel like shit for his/her NIMBY-ism, but the cops still acted with violent force extremely disproportionate to the situation.

Cops can do what-ever-the-fuck they like, it appears.

:no:

SR

#51 Post by SR » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am

And they know it. Fuck the cops

Xizen47

#52 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I can't believe this isn't bigger news?

blackcoffee

#53 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:12 pm

kv wrote:looks rough...but the asshole had already used his weapon...the car
I tend to agree. A lot of people could have been hurt or killed in this chase.

I think they're close to having devices that will send a pulse powerful enough to scramble the electrical components in someone's car effectively stopping it. That's what's coming, and what might end this kind of thing.

kv

#54 Post by kv » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 am

the prob with that is the car will then be out of control

blackcoffee

#55 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:28 pm

kv wrote:the prob with that is the car will then be out of control
I guess I imagine everything locking up, and coming to a halt, but I'm not taking into account how fast some of these chases are.

Larry B.

#56 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Xizen47 wrote:I can't believe this isn't bigger news?
Yup. Outrageous.

kv

#57 Post by kv » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:18 am

it's on the news every fucking day....it's been pretty big news

Romeo

#58 Post by Romeo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am

blackcoffee wrote:
kv wrote:the prob with that is the car will then be out of control
I guess I imagine everything locking up, and coming to a halt, but I'm not taking into account how fast some of these chases are.
doesn't lo jack have that? or On star?
Cars would need to be equipped

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Nothing epic here, but yesterday when we got back in to LA from Miami, my wife went to one of the long term lots to get our car while I picked up the luggage and wait for her to come back and pick me up outside the terminal at LAX....

I get out there with the luggage and I see about half a dozen LAPD and airport cops pulling scores of people over and ticketing for various little things. One woman was ticketed simple because she got out of her car (which was curbside, btw) to help her husband get their kids in the car while he was putting suitcases in the trunk - can't leave a car driver-less at any time in the terminal. It was causing a complete clusterfuck for everyone else awaiting curbside pickups. Anyone who knows what a mess LAX can be knows what I'm talking about. So I see my wife approaching to get me and is stuck in stopped traffic, and she's trying to sync her phone to the car (holding it in her hand) while waiting for the crosswalk to clear - a motorcycle cop pulls her over and tickets her right in front of me for cell phone use. He was a real dick about it too.

kv

#60 Post by kv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 pm

exactly why i would never touch a cell phone while driving at lax...it's like the worlds worst speed trap for any infraction...tint...stereo loud...cell phone...raised trucks...no seat....whatever they can see they write there

Larry B.

#61 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

Bandit72

#62 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 am

What were they shooting him with? Rubber bullets? Was he dead?

Larry B.

#63 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am

Bandit72 wrote:What were they shooting him with? Rubber bullets? Was he dead?
Here's a brief yet informative article: http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/apd-officer- ... justified/

Apparently, he was a homeless man who decided to sort of "set camp" in the middle of nowhere. He was, thus, "illegally camping." As police arrived to detain him, he allegedly pulled out a knife (I think you can see it in the video... the blade is like 3 inches long, if that.) Even though he didn't made any sudden movements or anything, he was tasered, shot with bean-bag rounds (whatever that is), and then bitten by a police dog.

The events after that are portrayed in the video. In the video, they shoot him with real bullets. As the guy turn his back to the officers, they fucking shot him.

So yeah, the guy was dead. They used the dog to bit him to confirm that he was gone.

"Illegally camping"... fucking hell.

wally

#64 Post by wally » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24 am

Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:What were they shooting him with? Rubber bullets? Was he dead?
Here's a brief yet informative article: http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/apd-officer- ... justified/

Apparently, he was a homeless man who decided to sort of "set camp" in the middle of nowhere. He was, thus, "illegally camping." As police arrived to detain him, he allegedly pulled out a knife (I think you can see it in the video... the blade is like 3 inches long, if that.) Even though he didn't made any sudden movements or anything, he was tasered, shot with bean-bag rounds (whatever that is), and then bitten by a police dog.

The events after that are portrayed in the video. In the video, they shoot him with real bullets. As the guy turn his back to the officers, they fucking shot him.

So yeah, the guy was dead. They used the dog to bit him to confirm that he was gone.

"Illegally camping"... fucking hell.
lol at your selective editing.

from the article you linked:

Boyd was arguing with police for more three hours last Sunday in the foothills after officers went to talk to him about illegally camping in open space.

"I’m almost going to kill you right now. Don’t give me another directive. Don’t attempt to give me, the Department of Defense, another directive,” said Boyd at the beginning of the incident.

Both attempted to speak with Boyd, however, Chief Eden says Boyd continued to threaten officers with death. Police also discovered that Boyd had a violent 20-year criminal history that included multiple incidents of violence against officers. Boyd’s history also showed years of mental health related concerns.

add to this the fact that he was holding a knife in each hand and you get what you see above.
arguing with a cop for hours and not complying with demands while armed... will get you shot every time.

btw a bean bag round is a less than lethal projectile fired from a shotgun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_bag_round

Larry B.

#65 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 am

Well, of course I was trying to make a point, just like the police are trying to make theirs by highlighting all the arguments that say "it's ok that they killed him."

I repeat: the guy was camping in the middle of nowhere. The police came to detain him (surely a priority,) and since he pulled out a 3-inch knife and said "I'm going to kill you" (said, not attempted nor even pretended to attempt), when the guy turned his back to the police to walk away, they shot him and killed him. One of the shooters says "boo-yah!", for fucks sake.

I've been vocally threatened a few times in my life ("you wanna die?" and "I'm gonna fucking shoot you", amongst others,) and I've had the logic to assess the situation and realize that their words are not really a threat. If a homeless man is 12 feet away from me, holding a knife that seriously, my limp penis is bigger than that, I just know that he's not a threat. If he starts charging towards me (and we all know how agile and fast homeless people are!), then the situation changes. I can run or counter-attack.

It's not about "if you don't comply with the police you're gonna have a bad time." It's about what the fuck the police are doing in the first place. Everything, any incident can end up with people shooting you, that's not the way to live. The police can shoot you if you don't comply to their demands, and their demands can be ANYTHING beyond reason. It's preposterous and infuriating. The murder of your fellow citizens is not a last resort, it hasn't been for a long time. It's "do as you're told, or you'll be electrocuted/sprayed and then killed. Simple as that."