The Hunted & The Hated: Inside Look, NYPD Stop&Frisk Policy

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
ellis

The Hunted & The Hated: Inside Look, NYPD Stop&Frisk Policy

#1 Post by ellis » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Curious to hear ES's opinion on this one!

Essence_Smith

Re: The Hunted & The Hated: Inside Look, NYPD Stop&Frisk Pol

#2 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Obviously growing up in NYC and being a person of color I am very much familiar with this practice...as I get older and less likely to have this happen I try to remind myself of the point in time when I was a teen and in my early 20's when this kinda thing would happen to me and how it felt. First let me say that I KNOW the police are given orders by the dept. to do this sort of thing...the lack of respect shown by telling the kid that he looked suspicious and threatening to hit him is clearly uncalled for...however I doubt the police will ever stop doing this kinda thing because they DO end up catching people concealing weapons, etc with these kinds of tactics. The ends don't justify the means because imo for every individual that they catch doing something wrong there are a bunch more that they've harrassed and mistreated for nothing...

I think people have to be better educated on both ends...I've had the stop and frisk happen many times...if you're polite and let them know you're willing to cooperate even though you're not doing anything wrong more likely than not they're going to apologize and let you go about your business...questioning them as to why you're being stopped is only going to fly once you comply with them. If the minute they roll up you go "why are you stopping me?" or give em attitude in any way you WILL get a bad vibe from em...I made it a point to tell them things along the lines of "I'll show you my ID, etc but you do realize I am NOT doing ANYTHING wrong"...the key is respect them and they don't have a reason to say shit...

The police department needs to keep people who are from certain communities working in them...you got a cop who's from a certain part of Brooklyn? Let him work there...he's more familiar with the community and vice versa, imo that makes it automatically a little easier to relate to those who you're policing, etc...I had a friend from elementary school who happens to be white and grew up around a lot of jamaicans who walked the beat as a cop in my area...people LOVED him out there...they went out of their way to help him cause they were comfortable seeing him even in the uniform...that kinda thing can hurt and help and I also get why the dept doesn't allow it often, but imo it can be useful...

Overall the stop and frisk thing will not stop imo...but the disrespect etc can be changed...its tough on both ends...

SR

#3 Post by SR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:08 am

FUCK THE POLICE.

Romeo

#4 Post by Romeo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:54 am

SR wrote:FUCK THE POLICE.
:ax:

I believe this all comes down to training and how the NYPD spits out recruits like a pez dispenser.

SR

#5 Post by SR » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 pm

:lol:

sinep

#6 Post by sinep » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:05 am

sooooo i grew up in a nice neighborhood.

like really nice

caldwell bankers just ranked my suburban neighborhood something like #7 out of 7,000 in terms of nicest neighborhoods in the united states and #1 in california.

anyways, it's unincorporated so the county has to provide all the services, meaning that police protection is split between highway patrol and sheriffs.

the sheriffs are the nicest guys ever. if i'm walking/biking home from a bar drunk they'll pull up next to me in their cruisers and ask "hey, everying going alright? you're being safe right? make sure you get home safely etc. etc. etc." without even getting out of the car

highway patrol on the other hand... will turn on their lights/sirens, sit me and whatever friends i'm with down on the curb, frisk us, take our ID cards and run our names to make sure we don't have any warrants.

moderately wealthy suburbanites have it tough too! yo.