Paddling

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
SR

Paddling

#1 Post by SR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:42 am

I had no idea this still happenned. Fuckin Texas.
:eyes:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/m ... ories.html

sinep

Re: Paddling

#2 Post by sinep » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:46 am

when i have kids, i'm going to approach the school principal and give him or her permission to beat my kids.

Romeo

#3 Post by Romeo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:46 am

Who the fuck allows their kid to get "paddled" in school?

That is just ridiculous

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:00 pm

According to that article 19 states still allow it. :yikes:

If the VP really hit that girl so hard to blister her bottom then he should be subjected to some paddling himself. :no:

There are probably rules about the number of strikes in a paddling sessions.

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Jasper should remember the time he did this:

Juana

#6 Post by Juana » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:58 pm

SR wrote:I had no idea this still happenned. Fuckin Texas.
Yeah outside of Travis and Hays county its kind of scary out here

SR

#7 Post by SR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Juana wrote:
Austin is high on my to do list. I don't consider it part of Texas.

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 pm

When I was in the 4th grade, me and a friend got caught throwing handfulls of soaking wet toilet paper on the ceiling over stalls while other kids were in them (the soggy paper would drip or fall on those sitting in the can, heh heh) and got sent to the principle's office for a paddlin'. He had this custom made paddle that looked like an oversize ping ping paddle with little holes drilled in it for maximum pain effect and when he swatted me, it broke at the handle on my ass. My buddy got out of a swat and we both got suspended for 3 days, mostly because he was livid we broke out laughing when it snapped.

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Jasper should remember the time he did this:
I saw the thread title and clicked on it *knowing* that you'd posted this. :lol:

Juana

#10 Post by Juana » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:06 pm

SR wrote:
Juana wrote:
Austin is high on my to do list. I don't consider it part of Texas.
Yeah I like Austin a lot, as well as the little towns between San Marcos and Austin but the rest of the state seems to be a little backwards. They really believe that its their own country and that they should secede from the Union, its fucking nuts.

kv

#11 Post by kv » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:47 am

when i was in grade school in cali they wanted to paddle me and i told them you better check my file i don't think my dad is down for that...so they call him and say they are gonna paddle me...and he was down their in 5 minutes...told them, tongue firmly planted in cheek, "nobody is gonna take my fun from me " lmao 2 weeks later they paddled a kid whose dad had also not signed off on it and when they called to tell him they paddled his kid he was also at the school in 5 minutes and paddled the principal....who was so freaked out and scared he didn't even call the cops lmao...when i was a kid i had a close group of friends whose parents all got to know each other well enough that all the dads had an agreement that if ever any of us deserved a smack...feel free...kept us in line thats for sure...and that respect is what is missing in the usa today

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:59 am

Not just the USA mate.

Romeo

#13 Post by Romeo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:19 am

We don't paddle in NY schools.

We beat our own kids :wink:

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:16 pm

kv wrote:when i was in grade school in cali they wanted to paddle me and i told them you better check my file i don't think my dad is down for that...so they call him and say they are gonna paddle me...and he was down their in 5 minutes...told them, tongue firmly planted in cheek, "nobody is gonna take my fun from me " lmao 2 weeks later they paddled a kid whose dad had also not signed off on it and when they called to tell him they paddled his kid he was also at the school in 5 minutes and paddled the principal....who was so freaked out and scared he didn't even call the cops lmao...when i was a kid i had a close group of friends whose parents all got to know each other well enough that all the dads had an agreement that if ever any of us deserved a smack...feel free...kept us in line thats for sure...and that respect is what is missing in the usa today
I agree about it being missing in the US and it sucks because its the parents faults not the kids but then the kids are snotty little shits

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Juana wrote:
kv wrote:when i was in grade school in cali they wanted to paddle me and i told them you better check my file i don't think my dad is down for that...so they call him and say they are gonna paddle me...and he was down their in 5 minutes...told them, tongue firmly planted in cheek, "nobody is gonna take my fun from me " lmao 2 weeks later they paddled a kid whose dad had also not signed off on it and when they called to tell him they paddled his kid he was also at the school in 5 minutes and paddled the principal....who was so freaked out and scared he didn't even call the cops lmao...when i was a kid i had a close group of friends whose parents all got to know each other well enough that all the dads had an agreement that if ever any of us deserved a smack...feel free...kept us in line thats for sure...and that respect is what is missing in the usa today
I agree about it being missing in the US and it sucks because its the parents faults not the kids but then the kids are snotty little shits
Hitting em doesn't actually fix anything, except maybe the mood of the hitter.

SR

#16 Post by SR » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:
No, it's much more a preventative measure.

nausearockpig

#17 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:
bullshit.

being smacked stopped me from being bad.. I used to run up and down our vinyl floor in my boots and do big skids leaving marks that my mother had to struggle to clean.. I did it twice, got smacked, didn't do it again.

nausearockpig

#18 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:25 pm

but i'll go on to say that it probably doesn't work for all kids in all situations...

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:28 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:
bullshit.

being smacked stopped me from being bad.. I used to run up and down our vinyl floor in my boots and do big skids leaving marks that my mother had to struggle to clean.. I did it twice, got smacked, didn't do it again.
I don't care what you think it did for you. That isn't a reason to accept it generally.

Here's real data: http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/ ... nking.aspx
"The evidence presented in the meta-analysis does not justify a blanket injunction against mild to moderate disciplinary spanking," conclude Baumrind and her team. Baumrind et al. also conclude that "a high association between corporal punishment and physical abuse is not evidence that mild or moderate corporal punishment increases the risk of abuse."

Baumrind et al. suggest that those parents whose emotional make-up may cause them to cross the line between appropriate corporal punishment and physical abuse should be counseled not to use corporal punishment as a technique to discipline their children. But, that other parents could use mild to moderate corporal punishment effectively. "The fact that some parents punish excessively and unwisely is not an argument, however, for counseling all parents not to punish at all."

In her reply to Baumrind et al., Gershoff states that excessive corporal punishment is more likely to be underreported than overreported and that the possibility of negative effects on children caution against the use of corporal punishment.

"Until researchers, clinicians, and parents can definitively demonstrate the presence of positive effects of corporal punishment, including effectiveness in halting future misbehavior, not just the absence of negative effects, we as psychologists can not responsibly recommend its use," Gershoff writes.

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 pm

I don't consider physically moving or restraining a child to be "hitting"/corporal punishment. Asserting parental power over a child does require a certain amount of "show of strength", but actually hurting a child makes no sense.

(I can also add that I happen to hold (in the sense of thinking the reasons come down in favour of) a view of punishment that doesn't involve causing suffering anyway... hence that other thread we had a while back about deserving to suffer... it would make no sense for me to think murderers don't deserve to suffer, but innocent children who do things their parents think are wrong/annoying/whatever should suffer.)

It is also true that some children just don't respond to simple non-physical forms of reprimand the way parents expect... and these children need to be treated according to what they will respond to. But I think it's likely that most cases don't require causing physical harm, and in fact, many probably require simple changes to parenting in the first place, or medical treatment for the child (who may be reacting to being expected to be like a sibling who does not suffer from the same disorder/disability/or whatever.)
Last edited by Hype on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juana

#21 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I will say this the only reason I have not beaten people with the asp I have on me at all times in public is I know I will go to jail. The threat of something bad happening is a very powerful tool. Doesn't just have to be hitting, just knowing that something "bad" is going to happen for fucking up keeps people in line.

All my friends that have kids that know if they fuck up will get disciplined via the spanking are good. I have friends that do not believe in it and use the shit you post up there, guess what? Those people are never invited to gatherings and shit anymore because their kids are fucking retarded bad.

To be clear I'm not talking about beating a kid or something like that, that makes no sense.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Juana wrote:I will say this the only reason I have not beaten people with the asp I have on me at all times in public is I know I will go to jail. The threat of something bad happening is a very powerful tool. Doesn't just have to be hitting, just knowing that something "bad" is going to happen for fucking up keeps people in line.

All my friends that have kids that know if they fuck up will get disciplined via the spanking are good. I have friends that do not believe in it and use the shit you post up there, guess what? Those people are never invited to gatherings and shit anymore because their kids are fucking retarded bad.

To be clear I'm not talking about beating a kid or something like that, that makes no sense.
This is not the first time I've been kind of disturbed by something you've said. We don't know each other, and I'm just telling you how this comes across to me, but some things you've said make me suspect you might be a psychopath. :neutral: I don't mean that as an insult... but to genuinely believe that the only reason you haven't attacked people in public is the threat of jail just seems really disturbed to me. I don't mean to talk about you personally... but you described yourself, so I figure it's okay to say what that description reads like to me. Also... why do you have an asp on you at all times in public?! :confused:

But then you add that you don't think beating a kid makes sense, so that's good. :cool:

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm

I whole heartedly agree that I have sociopathic tendencies in my personality. Part of the reason that I got into psychology (Clincial, about to have a MBA in I/O psych if I ever finish the internship, and I minored in business and childhood development... ironically) in the first place was to learn those things. I would not say I'm a psychopath but I do have an anger management issue and with those combined yeah I could see how you could think I'm in that personality type. But I guess I should preface it by saying the people that I would like to beat are usually doing something stupid, like beating their kid in public, or men beating up on women, or people picking on disabled people. Things of that nature. But like I said even in those situations I would go to jail.

As for the Asp, its because I do not like guns and I have to do money drops for the businesses. Getting robbed would put a significant damper on my day.

But either way its good I know these things about myself, I think it has made me a better person. As I'm less selfish these days than I was as a teen and overall a more open and caring person to the people around me.
Last edited by Juana on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nausearockpig

#24 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote: I don't care what you think it did for you.
That's a strange thing to say. I sincerely believe that being smacked helped me become the person I am today.

That along with the other facets of my parents's styles of upbringing. Some I think could have been done better - for instance, my parents didn't force me to do my homework or study. Had they done that when I really think that I didn't have the mental capacity to understand WHY I should be studying hard (or at all) I would be in a better position now than I am today. Maybe not, I guess it's impossible to tell..
Adurentibus Spina wrote: That isn't a reason to accept it generally.
On the other hand, I don't think that smacking should be used universally - some kids will not react to it in a "favourable" way, and some parents should not use smacking as it can clearly lead to abuse.

For the record, I never got hit with a belt or a wooden spoon and was only caned at school once (that was mainly cos i was following another kid's lead and we got caught) so maybe I was a pretty good kid and the smacking did nothing, or maybe it reinforced what I knew.. Or maybe it made me slightly crazy like I know I am..

Juana wrote:I will say this the only reason I have not beaten people with the asp I have on me at all times in public is I know I will go to jail. The threat of something bad happening is a very powerful tool. Doesn't just have to be hitting, just knowing that something "bad" is going to happen for fucking up keeps people in line.
What's an asp?

Juana

#25 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:51 pm