Paddling

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Paddling

#26 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: I don't care what you think it did for you.
That's a strange thing to say. I sincerely believe that being smacked helped me become the person I am today.
My point was to undermine your self-ascription of causal efficacy so that we can look at what would happen if everyone did it. In saying that I don't care what YOU THINK it did for you, I am not saying I don't care what it did for/to you. Maybe it had a negative effect you don't know about. People are very good at coping/rationalizing, etc. But I wanted to take the focus away from opinion based on single, personal, cases, and put it more on objective data about what happens to children who have received corporal punishment. You must admit there's a difference between what you think your childhood did for you, and what it did do. I mean, that they aren't necessarily the same. The story you tell yourself now, as a mature adult, may not match the causal story. That's why it's unreliable.
That along with the other facets of my parents's styles of upbringing. Some I think could have been done better - for instance, my parents didn't force me to do my homework or study. Had they done that when I really think that I didn't have the mental capacity to understand WHY I should be studying hard (or at all) I would be in a better position now than I am today. Maybe not, I guess it's impossible to tell..
Those are interesting thoughts, though I think tangential to the point. I think you're right that it is impossible to know. You also could have been born to extremely physically, emotionally, or sexually abusive parents (or other family members).
nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: That isn't a reason to accept it generally.
On the other hand, I don't think that smacking should be used universally - some kids will not react to it in a "favourable" way, and some parents should not use smacking as it can clearly lead to abuse.

For the record, I never got hit with a belt or a wooden spoon and was only caned at school once (that was mainly cos i was following another kid's lead and we got caught) so maybe I was a pretty good kid and the smacking did nothing, or maybe it reinforced what I knew.. Or maybe it made me slightly crazy like I know I am..
I was really only saying that actually hurting a child as a way of disciplining them doesn't actually do anything that some other non-harmful method would also accomplish. My parents gave me the ol' "wash your mouth out with soap" (which was actually vinegar and other non-toxic but horrible tasting stuff) if I swore, but they also fostered a love of reading that made a limited vocabulary short-lived in the first place (thus removing the need to insert "fuckin'" because of a lack of alternatives).
I whole heartedly agree that I have sociopathic tendencies in my personality. Part of the reason that I got into psychology (Clincial, about to have a MBA in I/O psych if I ever finish the internship, and I minored in business and childhood development... ironically) in the first place was to learn those things. I would not say I'm a psychopath but I do have an anger management issue and with those combined yeah I could see how you could think I'm in that personality type. But I guess I should preface it by saying the people that I would like to beat are usually doing something stupid, like beating their kid in public, or men beating up on women, or people picking on disabled people. Things of that nature. But like I said even in those situations I would go to jail.

But either way its good I know these things about myself, I think it has made me a better person. As I'm less selfish these days than I was as a teen and overall a more open and caring person to the people around me.
That's reassuring to hear, actually. Keep it up. I wasn't sure I should mention how your description of yourself came across to me... might be too personal.

SR

#27 Post by SR » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Juana wrote:I whole heartedly agree that I have sociopathic tendencies in my personality. Part of the reason that I got into psychology (Clincial, about to have a MBA in I/O psych if I ever finish the internship, and I minored in business and childhood development... ironically) in the first place was to learn those things. I would not say I'm a psychopath but I do have an anger management issue and with those combined yeah I could see how you could think I'm in that personality type. But I guess I should preface it by saying the people that I would like to beat are usually doing something stupid, like beating their kid in public, or men beating up on women, or people picking on disabled people, or being over the age of 60. Things of that nature. But like I said even in those situations I would go to jail.

As for the Asp, its because I do not like guns and I have to do money drops for the businesses. Getting robbed would put a significant damper on my day.

But either way its good I know these things about myself, I think it has made me a better person. As I'm less selfish these days than I was as a teen and overall a more open and caring person to the people around me.
:agree:

Juana

#28 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I whole heartedly agree that I have sociopathic tendencies in my personality. Part of the reason that I got into psychology (Clincial, about to have a MBA in I/O psych if I ever finish the internship, and I minored in business and childhood development... ironically) in the first place was to learn those things. I would not say I'm a psychopath but I do have an anger management issue and with those combined yeah I could see how you could think I'm in that personality type. But I guess I should preface it by saying the people that I would like to beat are usually doing something stupid, like beating their kid in public, or men beating up on women, or people picking on disabled people. Things of that nature. But like I said even in those situations I would go to jail.

That's reassuring to hear, actually. Keep it up. I wasn't sure I should mention how your description of yourself came across to me... might be too personal.
Yeah I was like "oh yeah forgot to put the rest of my thought in there, probably picturing me wandering around in a rage with an asp wanting to hurt people" :lolol:

Juana

#29 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm

SR wrote:
Juana wrote:I whole heartedly agree that I have sociopathic tendencies in my personality. Part of the reason that I got into psychology (Clincial, about to have a MBA in I/O psych if I ever finish the internship, and I minored in business and childhood development... ironically) in the first place was to learn those things. I would not say I'm a psychopath but I do have an anger management issue and with those combined yeah I could see how you could think I'm in that personality type. But I guess I should preface it by saying the people that I would like to beat are usually doing something stupid, like beating their kid in public, or men beating up on women, or people picking on disabled people, or being over the age of 60. Things of that nature. But like I said even in those situations I would go to jail.

As for the Asp, its because I do not like guns and I have to do money drops for the businesses. Getting robbed would put a significant damper on my day.

:agree:
:lolol: I dont want to hurt old people, maybe a side kick every once in a while to keep them on their toes!

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Juana wrote:Yeah I was like "oh yeah forgot to put the rest of my thought in there, probably picturing me wandering around in a rage with an asp wanting to hurt people" :lolol:
It reminded me of this:

But actually, the failure to distinguish morality from convention is a textbook sociopathic trait, which is what it seemed like you were saying (and anyway, it's not like it's a choice... it comes from very specific brain structures being a certain way). It simply isn't true, for most people, that the reason they don't hurt others is fear of jail. But if it helps you to think that way, great... because... hurting people is wrong, whether or not there are jails. :waits:

nausearockpig

#31 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: I don't care what you think it did for you.
That's a strange thing to say. I sincerely believe that being smacked helped me become the person I am today.
My point was to undermine your self-ascription of causal efficacy so that we can look at what would happen if everyone did it. In saying that I don't care what YOU THINK it did for you, I am not saying I don't care what it did for/to you. Maybe it had a negative effect you don't know about. People are very good at coping/rationalizing, etc. But I wanted to take the focus away from opinion based on single, personal, cases, and put it more on objective data about what happens to children who have received corporal punishment. You must admit there's a difference between what you think your childhood did for you, and what it did do. I mean, that they aren't necessarily the same. The story you tell yourself now, as a mature adult, may not match the causal story. That's why it's unreliable.
Fair points and yes I agree re the difference you note above.
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:That along with the other facets of my parents's styles of upbringing. Some I think could have been done better - for instance, my parents didn't force me to do my homework or study. Had they done that when I really think that I didn't have the mental capacity to understand WHY I should be studying hard (or at all) I would be in a better position now than I am today. Maybe not, I guess it's impossible to tell..
Those are interesting thoughts, though I think tangential to the point. I think you're right that it is impossible to know. You also could have been born to extremely physically, emotionally, or sexually abusive parents (or other family members).
nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
That isn't a reason to accept it generally.
On the other hand, I don't think that smacking should be used universally - some kids will not react to it in a "favourable" way, and some parents should not use smacking as it can clearly lead to abuse.

For the record, I never got hit with a belt or a wooden spoon and was only caned at school once (that was mainly cos i was following another kid's lead and we got caught) so maybe I was a pretty good kid and the smacking did nothing, or maybe it reinforced what I knew.. Or maybe it made me slightly crazy like I know I am..
True & I guess there are case studies around the children of extremely physically, emotionally, or sexually abusive parents and how they function in society (i bet there's people who range from normal (whatever that is) to completely fucked up)
Adurentibus Spina wrote: I was really only saying that actually hurting a child as a way of disciplining them doesn't actually do anything that some other non-harmful method would also accomplish. My parents gave me the ol' "wash your mouth out with soap" (which was actually vinegar and other non-toxic but horrible tasting stuff) if I swore, but they also fostered a love of reading that made a limited vocabulary short-lived in the first place (thus removing the need to insert "fuckin'" because of a lack of alternatives).
I wonder if in say 10-20 years we will have a society that suffers because today's parents either can't, won't or don't know how to properly discipline their children.. Imagine a world run by hipsters.... I've seen soooo many hipster types out at nice places to eat with their kids running around being a pain, annoying everyone else in there, yelling (the fucking list goes on) and all they do is say "Apple-Madison-Taylor-Hunter... please stop that..." then turn away and go about their meal whilst the kid keeps annoying everyone...
Another time I heard a parent ask their kid (who was annoying a lot of people) "will you please stop that".. to which the kid said "no" and kept on fucking about.. the parents did nothing...

Conversely, I have a friend who takes her daughters out for lunch or dinner and if they fuck about, she gets up, pays for the meals and leaves with the kids regardless of whether they've finished or not... Mind you, this is the same woman who's had a relationship fucked about cos they girls didn't like her fiance and sometimes the girls are "fucking horrible bitches" to her. Her words!

I'm glad I'm not having kids.

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:58 pm

I actually think you guys may be suffering from a serious side-effect of aging... seeing your own youth through rose-coloured glasses (or as it's also called "the golden age fallacy"). You see people half your age with young children doing things in a way your parents didn't do with you, or that you didn't do with your own kids, and you simultaneously happen to be at a stage in your life where certain things strike your more than they did in the past (e.g., the parenting habits of people your own age, or the behaviour of children who are no longer closer to you in age than their parents).

It has never been the case that an entire generation of people has turned out worse than the one before it, in spite of the fact that every aging generation thinks it about the next one. In fact, IQ has only gotten higher, crime has only gone down, and the world has become far more stable than it ever was in the past (except in the middle east, Asia, and Africa, but never mind that... we're North Americans...)

Juana

#33 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Hahah all I was saying is that if I didnt go to jail for it I would stop those things I see happening like I mentioned but going to jail is reason enough for me to control myself and walk away.

nausearockpig

#34 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I actually think you guys may be suffering from a serious side-effect of aging... seeing your own youth through rose-coloured glasses (or as it's also called "the golden age fallacy"). You see people half your age with young children doing things in a way your parents didn't do with you, or that you didn't do with your own kids, and you simultaneously happen to be at a stage in your life where certain things strike your more than they did in the past (e.g., the parenting habits of people your own age, or the behaviour of children who are no longer closer to you in age than their parents).
You're probably right, though I can't say whether when I behaved badly my parents were able to get me to shut the fuck up and not annoy everyone around me. That's because I can't remember though I will ask my parents when I speak with them next how I behaved as a child... & whether smacking was the only method of discipline they used..
Adurentibus Spina wrote:It has never been the case that an entire generation of people has turned out worse than the one before it, in spite of the fact that every aging generation thinks it about the next one. In fact, IQ has only gotten higher, crime has only gone down, and the world has become far more stable than it ever was in the past (except in the middle east, Asia, and Africa, but never mind that... we're North Americans...)
uh huh... have you not met any hipsters? ooohh.. wait.. are you a hipster?? fucken americalia coming to a city near you.. wrecking my part of the world... (just for clarity - that whole line was a joke)

nausearockpig

#35 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Juana wrote:Hahah all I was saying is that if I didnt go to jail for it I would stop those things I see happening like I mentioned but going to jail is reason enough for me to control myself and walk away.
You soooo should get yourself some Batman gear and mete out some street justice...

Hype

#36 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I actually think you guys may be suffering from a serious side-effect of aging... seeing your own youth through rose-coloured glasses (or as it's also called "the golden age fallacy"). You see people half your age with young children doing things in a way your parents didn't do with you, or that you didn't do with your own kids, and you simultaneously happen to be at a stage in your life where certain things strike your more than they did in the past (e.g., the parenting habits of people your own age, or the behaviour of children who are no longer closer to you in age than their parents).
You're probably right, though I can't say whether when I behaved badly my parents were able to get me to shut the fuck up and not annoy everyone around me. That's because I can't remember though I will ask my parents when I speak with them next how I behaved as a child... & whether smacking was the only method of discipline they used..
Adurentibus Spina wrote:It has never been the case that an entire generation of people has turned out worse than the one before it, in spite of the fact that every aging generation thinks it about the next one. In fact, IQ has only gotten higher, crime has only gone down, and the world has become far more stable than it ever was in the past (except in the middle east, Asia, and Africa, but never mind that... we're North Americans...)
uh huh... have you not met any hipsters? ooohh.. wait.. are you a hipster?? fucken americalia coming to a city near you.. wrecking my part of the world... (just for clarity - that whole line was a joke)
Remember "emo-kids"? I do... but they've all but disappeared. Does anyone listen to Conor Oberst anymore (except Sonny?) :lol: What about Goth kids before them? What about Yuppies in the 80s with their cocaine and business lunches and shit? What about hippies and punks and rockers? (Not to mention the weirder stuff in the 90s like Gwar and D&D Freaks listening to Manson and shooting up schools...)

It's all the same shit... an entire generation gets lumped into a single stereotyped and misinformed idea because the older folk have reached an age where they're observant and different enough to notice people around them who are acting in ways that seem foreign and weird. :blah:

Sorry guys... I wish you weren't getting old too. Hell... I'm nearly 30 and the kids I'm teaching are 18... it's a mind-fuck.

Juana

#37 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

watching kids not listen to my friends (who are their parents) because my friends are trying to be friends with their kids is kind of disheartening, but I know that is not all parents that is just my idiot friends lol

Hype

#38 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Juana wrote:Naw its not me getting older
:lol: PERFECT.

Yeah a denial
A denial!
A denial!
A denial!
A denial!
A denial!
A denial!
A denial!
A denial!
A denial! :rockon: :wave: :aoa: :wiggle:

Ah... you took it out. :lolol: :cheers:

nausearockpig

#39 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 pm

ha! I'm switching from The Cure 2004-08-01 Camden to Nirvana @ Reading.. Thanks for the reminder..

Juana

#40 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 pm

yeah but its really not as I do know that, but basically when you see it everyday it reiterates it and its the out of sight out of mind thing. I think todays youth has all kinds of great things to look forward too just as long as we do not fuck it up for them.

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Juana wrote:yeah but its really not as I do know that, but basically when you see it everyday it reiterates it and its the out of sight out of mind thing. I think todays youth has all kinds of great things to look forward too just as long as we do not fuck it up for them.
I bet parents were trying to be their kids' friends and failing back in the 1600s, too. (Putting it in perspective... we seem to only be able to go back about three generations in these kind of comparisons... after that, it's in history books or very vague stories...)

Did you know Goethe (the famous German playwright who is considered their Shakespeare) wrote a book that caused a spike in the number of teenage boys in Germany at the time who committed suicide? (And also sparked the entire Romantic period?) The year was 1774. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrow ... ng_Werther

This generation is not worse than that one. :lol:

In the Netherlands in the 1600s an entire generation of people went insane over tulip bulbs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania They were like iPods or iPhones, except even crazier (some bulbs were worth as much as a house).

MYXYLPLYX

#42 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:17 pm

I have never struck my child.

I will never strike my children.

I was sometimes spanked as a child, I don't necessarily resent it - but it doesn't garner a lot of praise from me for my parents either.

The people I know with poorly behaved kids simply can't be bothered to discipline them in any fashion with any real consistency, and that's what makes for badly behaved children, in my opinion.

... I'd really like to hear from some posters who actually have children in this thread. :hs:

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:

... I'd really like to hear from some posters who actually have children in this thread. :hs:
yeah i was going to mention that. it's easy to think you know how to be the greatest parent ever without actually being one.

nausearockpig

#44 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:

that would be an interesting point of view.. .Perhaps then when I'm next annoyed by someone else's kid in a pricey restaurant, i can pass on some tips that work... :lolol:

nausearockpig

#45 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 pm

creep wrote:it's easy to think you know how to be the greatest parent ever without actually being one.
I think it's a bit rich to tar us all with the same brush... (if that's what you're doing - the old "you don't have kids, you don't know" - which is a fair comment too BTW to those that are doing that). If not, i'll be quiet...

Not everyone who comments on these issues thinks they have all the answers and would make "the world's best parent".. I for one think that anyone who raises a child is a champion - so long as they do their best to raise a being that respects others... I think being a good parent would be THE hardest thing in the world to do.

Juana

#46 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 pm

creep wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:

yeah i was going to mention that. it's easy to think you know how to be the greatest parent ever without actually being one.
I do not think I would be the greatest parent but looking at some of my friends I can tell you one of them for example his daughter is going to end up sucking dick for coke because there are no rules. Pretty sure I can manage to NOT fuck up to that point.

Hype

#47 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Juana wrote:
creep wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:

I do not think I would be the greatest parent but looking at some of my friends I can tell you one of them for example his daughter is going to end up sucking dick for coke because there are no rules. Pretty sure I can manage to NOT fuck up to that point.
Sometimes those kids turn out alright anyway. Maybe she'll get lucky and have some good teachers/family that helps steer things in a good direction. I really detest the idea that individuals or families are islands.

mockbee

#48 Post by mockbee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:
creep wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:

Sometimes those kids turn out alright anyway. Maybe she'll get lucky and have some good teachers/family that helps steer things in a good direction. I really detest the idea that individuals or families are islands.
For sure. She needs the disposition to improve and luck to encounter positive role models. But, if she didn't have the disposition to begin with, the parenting most likely wouldn't have mattered anyways, as long as she is fed, sheltered and feels safe enough...... parenting must be so hard, because there are so many variables out of their control.

SR

#49 Post by SR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 am

Go parents! Hip, hip, hooray!

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 am

SR wrote:Go parents! Hip, hip, hooray!
We all come from a long line of parents. :bday: