1st World problem I can't resolve

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
creep
Site Admin

Re: 1st World problem I can't resolve

#26 Post by creep » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 pm

ok...i'm not an apple guy but why can't you sign up for icloud now and track your phone?

creep
Site Admin

#27 Post by creep » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:yup. lessons learned indeed..

now i gotta work out if i'm going to stick with my wife's old iPhone 3GS, try to wrangle a "new", refurbished iPhone 4 or 4S from my carrier's insurance (without paying an extra $250 insurance excess (seeing as I've already paid over $300 in insurance premiums and they want more cash for what is essentially an old, unsupported phone now)) or get an iPhone 5 or Samsung S3 next week..

so many first world problems...

I have lost a little more faith in the human race though..
seriously i wouldn't expect someone to return a phone that i left somewhere. i have never lost a phone but i drop them all the time and break the screen. most of the time i can fix it but i've had to pay $500 for a new one. after breaking my new droid 4 last month i decided to go prepaid. i bought a nice android phone for $200 and i now pay $30 a month for unlimited data and text and 100 minutes voice. i use my work phone to talk so the 100 minutes is just fine with me. it's with tmobile so i get 4g data. saves me $70 a month and now only $200 to replace once i drop it.
Ok sure, but would YOU try to return a phone you found? This is one of the things that has annoyed me... I know it's stupid but it grates at me that people do shit like this..

i know it shouldn't annoy me that other people don't have the same... morals.. as I do... and that I should accept it... :blah:

But i'm still annoyed.. and I believe that it's my right to be annoyed.... or is it not?
sure it's your right but life would be a whole lot easier if you let it go. try it. :noclue:

mockbee

#28 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:34 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Why do you think someone in Fiji, Cambodia or Mongolia wouldn't be really bummed/pissed if they lost their mobile phone??? :hs:
I don't. "first world problems" is a term that's been coined recently to describe problems that seem inconsequential compared to REAL problems we face or those that people in much worse situations face on a daily problem.. Like "oh i can't get access to the net on my iphone to check my facebook when i'm on my legislated fifteen minute break that i have to take from my office job (where the temperature is constantly controlled by air-con)"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ld+Problem
Okay. I understand what you mean by 'first world problem' but there are two problems here. One is that you seem to be really upset, so it is not 'inconsequential' to you, therefore is not a 'first world problem' to you and, two, why make the distinction in the first place........? Is there nobody in Australia with 'third world problems', if there are the terminology is meaningless and either way it is a pious thing to say. :noclue:
mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote: I have lost a little more faith in the human race though..
Also, how do you know for certain your phone didn't just fall behind something at some point and just get lost? You have a lot of emotions and conclusions regarding things you are only assuming. :idea:
Because I've checked every place that it could be and there's nowhere that it could have "fallen behind" that I haven't looked... there's only two places it could be: the gym or in my apartment in a few select places that I went to immediately after getting in the front door.. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time looking in, under, behind and around things/places/appliances/filing cabinets/boxes of comics/guitar cases/cupboards/fucking everywhere.. even under the fridge.... It's just not there...
So it is just really likely somebody probably maybe took it without trying to return it??????

(I'm not really trying to bust your balls, I would be really annoyed too but not angry at "people")
:wave:

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 pm

what is happening to this place? nausea hates everyone, juana wants to murder old people, sr hates all cops, artemis wants all squirrels dead...maybe larry is right and the world is ending.

nausearockpig

#30 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 pm

creep wrote:ok...i'm not an apple guy but why can't you sign up for icloud now and track your phone?

Cos you gotta do it before you lose your phone... and I didn't....

nausearockpig

#31 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:40 pm

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:yup. lessons learned indeed..

now i gotta work out if i'm going to stick with my wife's old iPhone 3GS, try to wrangle a "new", refurbished iPhone 4 or 4S from my carrier's insurance (without paying an extra $250 insurance excess (seeing as I've already paid over $300 in insurance premiums and they want more cash for what is essentially an old, unsupported phone now)) or get an iPhone 5 or Samsung S3 next week..

I have lost a little more faith in the human race though..
seriously i wouldn't expect someone to return a phone that i left somewhere. i have never lost a phone but i drop them all the time and break the screen. most of the time i can fix it but i've had to pay $500 for a new one. after breaking my new droid 4 last month i decided to go prepaid. i bought a nice android phone for $200 and i now pay $30 a month for unlimited data and text and 100 minutes voice. i use my work phone to talk so the 100 minutes is just fine with me. it's with tmobile so i get 4g data. saves me $70 a month and now only $200 to replace once i drop it.
Ok sure, but would YOU try to return a phone you found? This is one of the things that has annoyed me... I know it's stupid but it grates at me that people do shit like this..

i know it shouldn't annoy me that other people don't have the same... morals.. as I do... and that I should accept it... :blah:

But i'm still annoyed.. and I believe that it's my right to be annoyed.... or is it not?
sure it's your right but life would be a whole lot easier if you let it go. try it. :noclue:
am trying to...

nausearockpig

#32 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 pm

mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Why do you think someone in Fiji, Cambodia or Mongolia wouldn't be really bummed/pissed if they lost their mobile phone??? :hs:
I don't. "first world problems" is a term that's been coined recently to describe problems that seem inconsequential compared to REAL problems we face or those that people in much worse situations face on a daily problem.. Like "oh i can't get access to the net on my iphone to check my facebook when i'm on my legislated fifteen minute break that i have to take from my office job (where the temperature is constantly controlled by air-con)"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ld+Problem
Okay. I understand what you mean by 'first world problem' but there are two problems here. One is that you seem to be really upset, so it is not 'inconsequential' to you, therefore is not a 'first world problem' to you and, two, why make the distinction in the first place........? Is there nobody in Australia with 'third world problems', if there are the terminology is meaningless and either way it is a pious thing to say. :noclue:
mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote: I have lost a little more faith in the human race though..
Also, how do you know for certain your phone didn't just fall behind something at some point and just get lost? You have a lot of emotions and conclusions regarding things you are only assuming. :idea:
Because I've checked every place that it could be and there's nowhere that it could have "fallen behind" that I haven't looked... there's only two places it could be: the gym or in my apartment in a few select places that I went to immediately after getting in the front door.. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time looking in, under, behind and around things/places/appliances/filing cabinets/boxes of comics/guitar cases/cupboards/fucking everywhere.. even under the fridge.... It's just not there...
So it is just really likely somebody probably maybe took it without trying to return it??????

(I'm not really trying to bust your balls, I would be really annoyed too but not angry at "people")
:wave:

i hate double quoting so i won't.

You're right, it's not inconsequential to me, but I recognise that in the greater scheme of things (and to other people), it's down the bottom of the list.

I made the distinction in the first place because I know that to everyone but me it will be a "roll your eyes" / "it's not that bad - get over it" thing..

Yeah i reckon someone in my building saw the phone and just took it with no intention of returning it. I see the same few people in the gym and there are signs everywhere, including in the gym and in everyone's letterboxes... Some kind person even went as far as putting one of those letterbox slips onto the treadmill yesteday.. so that's nice..

nausearockpig

#33 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm

creep wrote:what is happening to this place? nausea hates everyone, juana wants to murder old people, sr hates all cops, artemis wants all squirrels dead...maybe larry is right and the world is ending.
you forgot "larry and sinep have been particularly angry/snipy lately"

mockbee

#34 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm

nausearockpig wrote:

i hate double quoting so i won't. Meeeee too!

You're right, it's not inconsequential to me, but I recognise that in the greater scheme of things (and to other people), it's down the bottom of the list.

I made the distinction in the first place because I know that to everyone but me it will be a "roll your eyes" / "it's not that bad - get over it" thing..

Yeah i reckon someone in my building saw the phone and just took it with no intention of returning it. I see the same few people in the gym and there are signs everywhere, including in the gym and in everyone's letterboxes... Some kind person even went as far as putting one of those letterbox slips onto the treadmill yesteday.. so that's nice..

That's a really good start, notice the small things, There are tons out there if you look.......

nausearockpig

#35 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 pm

yeh I know.

I usually am pretty easygoing about things that really matter...

I know anyone who may be taking note may disagree cos I post the most in the "what's annoying you today" topic but that's just blah blah..

I usually don't let little things worry me, nor do I lie awake at night worrying about things. my motto is that either they will resolve themselves or my actions will resolve them. If not, well that's just the way things are and there's nothing I can do about those ones but try to mitigate the fallout or exposure.
I try to find commonsense solutions to most things and am generally an optimistic person..

This episode is largely over now, but I don't know why it wigged me out so much.. Maybe because those that could have resolved it, have (seemingly) not attempted to do so.. example: I had to lodge a Lost Property form with the police for the insurance form that I am now not submitting. When I was at the cop shop, they didn't ask any questions about whether the gym had any individual access or PIN or anything.. Turns out that the building manager can ID who entered the gym between my 6PM and 10PM entries but for reasons of privacy could not give me the names or apartment numbers of those people (fair enough I suppose - though there's nothing stopping me going to every apartment and saying "were you at the gym on monday night between 6 and 10? did you find a phone?"....) but he could supply that info to the police if they asked for it.

I may go to the police today and let them know of this so they can follow up the three or four people who would have been there but is it worth my time? Will they do it or just laugh in my face and tell me to fuck off as they have other more important (=real) crimes to solve?

mockbee

#36 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:13 pm

You have gone above and beyond what any person would do, or could do to find the missing phone. It's actually quite impressively thorough! I wouldn't bother any more people about it. What about the number? Did you try calling it again? Can they just disconnect the number and change it? Don't they have to contact your provider and you already contacted them right? Also Creep had a story about some girl who demanded a stolen phone from him or something but it was kitty corner on the block or something? Does it have a beacon you can locate it by?

I don't know why I am so involved/inquisitive with some guy who lost his phone in Australia......? :hs: :lol:

I suppose if I ever loose mine, I will know what to do first, if you happen to retrieve yours.... Lessons I have learned so far: 1) don't leave the phone somewhere in public 2) don't contact the police, they are useless 3) If I do loose it, hope that Nausearockpig finds my phone....... :lolol:

nausearockpig

#37 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

I had the number diverted to my work phone and I have just now got a new SIM card in my spare phone with my number allocated to it.. This was done by my provider on the night in question.

I had called the number quite a few times the night I lost it until I had the IMEI block placed on the phone. The calls kept going to voicemail straight away so either it was off due to a flat battery (which is doubtful given i had it charging on my work PC for most of the day) or someone took the SIM out pretty much straight away.

You're involved cos you care... lol

creep
Site Admin

#38 Post by creep » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 pm

well look at the positive. the iphone 4s's will now be cheap with the iphone 5 coming out and now you know to use the icloud thing. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#39 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 pm

creep wrote:well look at the positive. the iphone 4s's will now be cheap with the iphone 5 coming out and now you know to use the icloud thing. :noclue:

yeah i'll be a lot savvier (is that a word?) when it comes to backing up etc...

I may just get the iphone 5.... not sure....

mockbee

#40 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
not really. :lol:

nausearockpig

#41 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 pm

mockbee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
not really. :lol:
:sad:

mockbee

#42 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 pm

:pat: We all 'care' about you, just not necessarily about a phone........

nausearockpig

#43 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 pm

mockbee wrote::pat: We all 'care' about you, just not necessarily about a phone........

:wiggle: :gh:

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 pm

yeah, fuck the phone nausea.

you really don't need one. you would save money and your life would be much simpler.

nausearockpig

#45 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Artemis wrote:yeah, fuck the phone nausea.

you really don't need one. you would save money and your life would be much simpler.
but I don't have a home phone....

Mind you I have a work mobile (cell) that I choose to keep so I can separate work and life.. It would be simpler to have only one phone but that means that I'm always contactable by people who take liberties with the time of day that they call...

Mescal

#46 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:54 am

nausearockpig wrote:

Mind you I have a work mobile (cell) that I choose to keep so I can separate work and life.. It would be simpler to have only one phone but that means that I'm always contactable by people who take liberties with the time of day that they call...

Why do you need an Iphone anyway?

Buy an old school Nokia. People don't steal that.

If you buy one without camera, there's also never a worry about losing your private pics

nausearockpig

#47 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:23 am

Mescal wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Why do you need an Iphone anyway?

Buy an old school Nokia. People don't steal that.

If you buy one without camera, there's also never a worry about losing your private pics
I don't think anyone needs an iPhone or any of today's smartphones, it's more of a want.... I like being able to check my Facebook, email and other unnecessary garbage when I'm out and about..

but you're right, a less "desirable" phone would attract less attention...

Mescal

#48 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:15 am

nausearockpig wrote:it's more of a want....
Yeah well, that's what you get for being greedy :)

creep
Site Admin

#49 Post by creep » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 am

the only reason i have a smart phone is for email and to use as a portable hotspot if i have to get on the internet. this is all for work and it's pretty much needed since i work on the road. i hate smart phones as actual phones and the screen is way too small to try to see anything on the internet.

speaking of hot spots....anyone with an android phone should get the free app "foxfi". it will make your phone a hotspot without paying extra to have that ability from your provider.

Larry B.

#50 Post by Larry B. » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:09 pm

creep wrote:the only reason i have a smart phone is for email and to use as a portable hotspot if i have to get on the internet. this is all for work and it's pretty much needed since i work on the road. i hate smart phones as actual phones and the screen is way too small to try to see anything on the internet.

speaking of hot spots....anyone with an android phone should get the free app "foxfi". it will make your phone a hotspot without paying extra to have that ability from your provider.
Companies CHARGE for making your phone a hotspot? Fuckers.