chaos

Victims of 'legitimate rape' cannot become pregnant

#1 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Give me strength. :no:

As a result of the backlash, Rep. Akin states that he 'misspoke."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop- ... 18070.html

GOP Senate candidate says he ‘misspoke’ with ‘legitimate rape’ comment
By Liz Goodwin, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – 1 hr 40 mins ago

Sen. Claire McCaskill is probably having a pretty good Sunday. Her opponent in the Missouri Senate race, Republican Rep. Todd Akin, has spent most of the day backtracking after saying that victims of "legitimate rape" cannot biologically become pregnant and thus do not need access to legal abortions.

"First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy after rape] is really rare," Akin told KTVI-TV in defense of his stand that rape victims should not be allowed to access abortions. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Akin said that even if a rape victim does somehow become pregnant, "I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child."

Akin's comments sparked a big backlash on Twitter, where the hashtag "#legitimaterape" soon became one of the most popular terms on the site. A parody account bearing Akin's headshot mocked the Congressman for his comments. McCaskill, meanwhile, also went on the attack. "As a woman and former prosecutor who handled hundreds of rape cases, I'm stunned by Rep. Akin's comments," she wrote.

Akin said in a statement that he "misspoke" in the interview. "In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year," he said. He later wrote on Twitter that "all of us understand that rape can result in pregnancy & I have great empathy for all victims. I regret misspeaking." (Indeed, a study in the American Journal of Obstetricians and Gynecologists found that rapes result in more than 32,000 pregnancies each year.)

McCaskill's campaign spent $2 million to run ads that boosted Akin as the "true conservative" during the three-way primary race for the Republican nod, which he won by six percentage points. McCaskill considered him the weakest potential challenger and wanted him to win the primary, the New York Times reported. The Democratic senator is trailing Akin by about 8 points in the polls, according to TPM's Polltracker.

farrellgirl99

Re: Victims of 'legitimate rape' cannot become pregnant

#2 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 pm

:banghead:

"legitimate rape"? dear christ

ant

#3 Post by ant » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I couldn't believe the headline when I read it. What a term to even utter? 'legitimate rape'? There is something very scary going on in the GOP.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:55 pm

ant wrote:I couldn't believe the headline when I read it. What a term to even utter? 'legitimate rape'? There is something very scary going on in the GOP.
The rest of what he said, and his attempt to clarify/apologize was also really bad. He tried to push things off his idiocy and back onto "either grow government or grow jobs", which is a false dichotomy, and designed to say something like: "If you agree with those people who are attacking me, it means you don't like jobs." :eyes: :confused:

This isn't new, though... and it isn't just the GOP... there are just still a ton of men, even men who call themselves liberals, who engage in blaming the victim when it comes to women's issues (abortion, rape, sexualization of girls in the media, employment equality, and on and on...)

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 am

I know a lot of people here believe in debate, but the only debate I want to do with this dude is to see how his face stands up to a cinder block. Then we can see how "legitimate bludgeoning" feels for him... cause if he didn't want it then he obviously wouldn't have a bashed in skull... fuck him.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:44 am

I remain astonished that this is even a "legitimate" discourse in America. :no: :mad:

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:11 am

Artemis wrote:I remain astonished that this is even a "legitimate" discourse in America. :no: :mad:
So, the Conservatives in Canada are nutcases, and refuse to take the Royal Society report on End of Life Care in Canada seriously (mostly because of their religion, and the fact that permissible euthanasia was recommended), but American Republicans are much worse. Probably some of the most head-in-the-sand-ignore-the-facts types on the planet. Not only is it a clear-cut women's rights issue, but in actual fact, when you permit legal abortions tout court, two VERY good things happen: the number of women dying goes down, and the number of abortions actually goes down and stabilizes.

How can you be against that, unless you're both misogynist and a fucking idiot?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:16 am

Yay welcome to Missouri everyone! :lol:

:balls:

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:20 am

http://feministing.com/2012/08/20/a-tha ... todd-akin/
I’m a pretty even-keeled kind of gal. I don’t lose my temper that easily. I’ll get irritated, sure, and sometimes that irritation will get vented, a little bit at a time, in the form of passive aggression. But I’m not one for big blow ups. I can’t remember the last time I raised my voice in anger.

I’m also a proponent of civility in public discourse. I think that reasonable people can disagree, and that they should do it politely. I think that if you’re going to argue with someone, you should attack their ideas, not their character. I think a step-by-step take-down of someone’s ideas is more productive than just calling them an asshole. Even when someone’s ideas make me roll my eyes, or drop my jaw in disbelief, I try my best to be civil and respectful. I don’t particularly enjoy being called stupid, or evil, or ugly, in the public square, and because I believe in treating other people the way you want to be treated, I don’t generally engage in ad hominem attacks.

That said, it’s taking all my self-control to say “thank you,” to Missouri Representative Todd Akin. Thank you, not fuck you.

For those of you who missed it over the weekend, Rep. Akin, who is running for Senate against the incumbent Democrat Claire McCaskill, was asked whether or not he believed abortion should be legal in the case of rape or incest. He said:
Well you know, people always want to try to make that as one of those things, well how do you, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question. First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.
I want to thank Mr. Akin for his remarks.

I want to thank him for demonstrating that the anti-choice movement is so often divorced from scientific facts, like when they claim that the uterus contains a magical anti-rapist semen force field, or when they claim that there’s a causal relationship between abortion and breast cancer. It is not, in fact, “really rare” for rape to result in pregnancy, unless you think that something that happens 32, 000 times every year is “really rare.”

I also want to thank him for revealing the contempt and mistrust that lies at the heart of so much anti-choice rhetoric. The contempt for women who have sex for pleasure and accidentally get pregnant. The mistrust of women that feeds the belief that we lie about being raped so we can get abortions, and the mistrust of women that justifies the idea that we don’t know when we’ve been raped and that politicians get to decide that for us.

I want to thank him for demonstrating the complete disregard for women that is necessary for a person to want to ban abortion. Notice that in his response, he mentioned the hypothetical rapist, and the “child,” but he didn’t mention the woman. The woman who has been raped and is now pregnant and will now be forced to give birth to her rapist’s baby because the government says so. Because what she wants isn’t relevant in this situation.

I want to thank Mr. Akin for highlighting the logical inconsistency of being anti-choice and anti-Affordable Care Act. You’ll rail all day long about how Obamacare infringes on the American citizen’s personal freedom to make healthcare decisions, but you’re happy to infringe on an American woman’s personal freedom to make reproductive healthcare decisions? How exactly do you hold both those ideas in your head without your head exploding?

I want to thank Mr. Akin for making it perfectly clear just how extreme and how anti-women the reproductive rights conversation has become in America. Opposition to rape and incest exceptions used to be a fringe position. Even the most proudly pro-life politicians would say that there should be an exception for rape, incest, and life of the mother. I don’t personally think a woman should have to prove she’s been raped before the government will let her make a private healthcare decision, but whatever, that’s where the dial used to be. The dial has moved now. People like Mr. Akin are now free to publicly state that they think the government should be able to force a teenage girl to give birth to her father’s baby. They get to say things like that out loud, because of how far right the dial has moved. Sure, they’ll later say they “misspoke” and got the facts wrong about the non-existent magical qualities of the mystical feminine crotchflower, but they won’t back down on that whole forcing-rape-survivors-to-give-birth thing.

For all this, Mr. Akin, I say thank you. Thank you for your illuminating comments, for making it clear to people who didn’t already realize that the anti-choice movement is about controlling women, about punishing them for being sexual beings, and treating them as less than full citizens. Thank you for – probably – driving tens of thousands of people into the waiting, welcoming arms of feminism and the pro-choice movement. Thank –

– OK, you know what, screw this. I’m all for civility. I’m all for treating other people the way you want to be treated. Ideas, not ad hominem attacks, all the way. But Mr. Akin, I believe, has forfeited his right to my civility. By publicly suggesting that I’m too stupid to know whether or not I’ve been raped, and that if I am raped and I get pregnant, I should still have to give birth but don’t worry the rapist will get a slap on the wrist, he has broken my resolve to treat others with the respect with which I would want to be treated. And if I ever say something as awful, as inhumane, as ignorant as what Mr. Akin said over the weekend, I don’t want people to be civil. I want them to respond exactly as I’m about to.

Fuck you.

Wow, OK, that is pretty uncivil. What I should probably say instead is, fuck you sir.

blackcoffee

#10 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 am

Juana wrote:I know a lot of people here believe in debate, but the only debate I want to do with this dude is to see how his face stands up to a cinder block. Then we can see how "legitimate bludgeoning" feels for him... cause if he didn't want it then he obviously wouldn't have a bashed in skull... fuck him.
:thumb: Yep. Let's argue the merits of a legitimate beat down.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 am

This guy is toast by the way, and no one is really defending his idiocy (there's a always a few). It's weird having a political controversy right at home.

guysmiley

#12 Post by guysmiley » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 am

Juana wrote:I know a lot of people here believe in debate, but the only debate I want to do with this dude is to see how his face stands up to a cinder block. Then we can see how "legitimate bludgeoning" feels for him... cause if he didn't want it then he obviously wouldn't have a bashed in skull... fuck him.
My feelings exactly. I wonder what his opinion would be if his wife or daughter were raped? Fuck people like this. Not even worth debating with people like this.

LJF

#13 Post by LJF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 am

ant wrote:I couldn't believe the headline when I read it. What a term to even utter? 'legitimate rape'? There is something very scary going on in the GOP.

This guy clearly has issues. I don't think it matters which party he is from, I doubt most people that support the GOP would agree with what he said. Or at least I hope they wouldn't.

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:37 am

LJF wrote:

This guy clearly has issues. I don't think it matters which party he is from, I doubt most people that support the GOP would agree with what he said. Or at least I hope they wouldn't.
Have you read Leviticus? That shit is ridiculous, and ordinary folk get told this shit by priests all the time, and then cherry-pick what they want to believe from it when it suits them.
Rules for Priests

21 The Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them: ‘A priest must not make himself ceremonially unclean for any of his people who die, 2 except for a close relative, such as his mother or father, his son or daughter, his brother, 3 or an unmarried sister who is dependent on him since she has no husband—for her he may make himself unclean. 4 He must not make himself unclean for people related to him by marriage,[a] and so defile himself.

5 “‘Priests must not shave their heads or shave off the edges of their beards or cut their bodies. 6 They must be holy to their God and must not profane the name of their God. Because they present the food offerings to the Lord, the food of their God, they are to be holy.

7 “‘They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God. 8 Regard them as holy, because they offer up the food of your God. Consider them holy, because I the Lord am holy—I who make you holy.

9 “‘If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

10 “‘The high priest, the one among his brothers who has had the anointing oil poured on his head and who has been ordained to wear the priestly garments, must not let his hair become unkempt or tear his clothes. 11 He must not enter a place where there is a dead body. He must not make himself unclean, even for his father or mother, 12 nor leave the sanctuary of his God or desecrate it, because he has been dedicated by the anointing oil of his God. I am the Lord.

13 “‘The woman he marries must be a virgin. 14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so that he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.’”

Yeah, rules for "priests", but obsessed with women who have had sex. :eyes:

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

:confused: Women are unclean.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

... in... in his vagina?... Or is anal sex now permissible? Or is that having sex with a woman as one does with a man?

Who the hell wrote that shit? :bs:

LJF

#15 Post by LJF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
LJF wrote:

Have you read Leviticus? That shit is ridiculous, and ordinary folk get told this shit by priests all the time, and then cherry-pick what they want to believe from it when it suits them.
Rules for Priests

21 The Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them: ‘A priest must not make himself ceremonially unclean for any of his people who die, 2 except for a close relative, such as his mother or father, his son or daughter, his brother, 3 or an unmarried sister who is dependent on him since she has no husband—for her he may make himself unclean. 4 He must not make himself unclean for people related to him by marriage,[a] and so defile himself.

5 “‘Priests must not shave their heads or shave off the edges of their beards or cut their bodies. 6 They must be holy to their God and must not profane the name of their God. Because they present the food offerings to the Lord, the food of their God, they are to be holy.

7 “‘They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God. 8 Regard them as holy, because they offer up the food of your God. Consider them holy, because I the Lord am holy—I who make you holy.

9 “‘If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

10 “‘The high priest, the one among his brothers who has had the anointing oil poured on his head and who has been ordained to wear the priestly garments, must not let his hair become unkempt or tear his clothes. 11 He must not enter a place where there is a dead body. He must not make himself unclean, even for his father or mother, 12 nor leave the sanctuary of his God or desecrate it, because he has been dedicated by the anointing oil of his God. I am the Lord.

13 “‘The woman he marries must be a virgin. 14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so that he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.’”

Yeah, rules for "priests", but obsessed with women who have had sex. :eyes:

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

:confused: Women are unclean.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

... in... in his vagina?... Or is anal sex now permissible? Or is that having sex with a woman as one does with a man?

Who the hell wrote that shit? :bs:

Where do you find all of this info? You always have stuff ready to go. Yes there are people that believe what this guy said, but I truly hope that it is getting smaller & smaller. My big problem with anyone that follows one party is that they are closing themselves off and they stop thinking. People will always cherry pick to try to prove their point.

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 am

The reason it gets associated with the GOP is the rise of the Moral Majority (in support of Reagan, Bush, Bush II, etc) since the 1980s. Before that, attitudes were generally more conservative anyway, but I think it was at least in part a reaction to the Women's Liberation successes in the 1970s (see: Gloria Steinem, etc.)

The Democratic party became the women's/minority rights party almost by default after that, since the connection between far-right neo-conservatism and extremely misogynist/racist fundamentalist Christianity solidified.

It's true that individual GOP voters might not subscribe to each and every insane thing a GOP representative/senator/governor/president says, but in fact, to vote GOP, you would have to accept at least some of it, because they're all fucking nuts. Every single one of them (even the ones who are in most respects reasonable and will vote with Democrats from time to time, if you really probe why they're Republican, you find some really fucking insane beliefs). And that has been getting worse.

It's a damned shame, since on the face of it, there's nothing wrong with a political value of fiscal responsibility, and after all, the GOP is Lincoln's party. But the thing is, in the United States "Republicanism" has lost its original meaning... in the ORIGINAL sense, I'm a republican, since my ideal form of government is a republican style (ala Plato's). But most GOP candidates now are, like Hoka, borderline anarchist, and hostile to any increase in government spending for any reason (other than war, apparently, which is why Hoka isn't a Republican).

Juana

#17 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:59 am

guysmiley wrote:
My feelings exactly. I wonder what his opinion would be if his wife or daughter were raped? Fuck people like this. Not even worth debating with people like this.
Yeah I mean I'm not pro-violence but I would bash this dude's face in if I met him and he said something like that. I know women that have been raped, its not pretty the after math of that and to say that if they get pregnant from that rape that they "wanted" it. That is like saying a woman wanted a good rapin' because she wore a sun dress to church or something.

LJF

#18 Post by LJF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:The reason it gets associated with the GOP is the rise of the Moral Majority (in support of Reagan, Bush, Bush II, etc) since the 1980s. Before that, attitudes were generally more conservative anyway, but I think it was at least in part a reaction to the Women's Liberation successes in the 1970s (see: Gloria Steinem, etc.)

The Democratic party became the women's/minority rights party almost by default after that, since the connection between far-right neo-conservatism and extremely misogynist/racist fundamentalist Christianity solidified.

It's true that individual GOP voters might not subscribe to each and every insane thing a GOP representative/senator/governor/president says, but in fact, to vote GOP, you would have to accept at least some of it, because they're all fucking nuts. Every single one of them (even the ones who are in most respects reasonable and will vote with Democrats from time to time, if you really probe why they're Republican, you find some really fucking insane beliefs). And that has been getting worse.

It's a damned shame, since on the face of it, there's nothing wrong with a political value of fiscal responsibility, and after all, the GOP is Lincoln's party. But the thing is, in the United States "Republicanism" has lost its original meaning... in the ORIGINAL sense, I'm a republican, since my ideal form of government is a republican style (ala Plato's). But most GOP candidates now are, like Hoka, borderline anarchist, and hostile to any increase in government spending for any reason (other than war, apparently, which is why Hoka isn't a Republican).
Interesting view. Shame you don't have a strong opinion on this. I think just about everything the government gets involved with gets fucked up. So are there any sane views or GOP reps? I'd say that there are insane beliefs in both parties.

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Juana wrote:
guysmiley wrote:
Yeah I mean I'm not pro-violence but I would bash this dude's face in if I met him and he said something like that. I know women that have been raped, its not pretty the after math of that and to say that if they get pregnant from that rape that they "wanted" it. That is like saying a woman wanted a good rapin' because she wore a sun dress to church or something.
Read your Ayn Rand. She's infamous for a "wanted rape" scene, described vividly from the point of view of the (faux-) victim (Dominique).

http://jezebel.com/5490207/a-welcomed-r ... d-ayn-rand

These people are FUCKED in the head (and seem to think everyone else wants to be fucked in their vaginas, too...)

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

LJF wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:The reason it gets associated with the GOP is the rise of the Moral Majority (in support of Reagan, Bush, Bush II, etc) since the 1980s. Before that, attitudes were generally more conservative anyway, but I think it was at least in part a reaction to the Women's Liberation successes in the 1970s (see: Gloria Steinem, etc.)

Interesting view. Shame you don't have a strong opinion on this. I think just about everything the government gets involved with gets fucked up. So are there any sane views or GOP reps? I'd say that there are insane beliefs in both parties.
I do have a strong view about this... It's just empirically false that "just about everything the government gets involved with gets fucked up"...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I do have a strong view about this... It's just empirically false that "just about everything the government gets involved with gets fucked up"...

:banana:

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:08 pm

hokahey wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I do have a strong view about this... It's just empirically false that "just about everything the government gets involved with gets fucked up"...

:banana:
:lol:

Were I being more careful, I'd say: the burden of proof is on the libertarians/anarchists to convince the rest of us with reasons we can all accept that the government flat-out shouldn't be doing the things it does do (or the things we want it to do). Because of that, I don't have to argue for anything, since I can just show that each argument presented from the other side doesn't work, so there's no reason to accept it. If I were trying to convince people that it's empirically false that everything the government gets involved with gets fucked up, I'd first have to establish an agreed-upon sense for 'government' and 'gets involved with' and 'gets fucked up', otherwise it's not even clear what's being said.
Last edited by Hype on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaos

#23 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Rep Todd Akin is a member of the United States House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. :scared: Another scary tidbit: He has been re-elected to the House five times. Who are these voters? I hope these people do not vote him into the Senate.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm

chaos wrote:Rep Todd Akin is a member of the United States House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. :scared: Another scary tidbit: He has been re-elected to the House five times. Who are these voters? I hope these people do not vote him into the Senate.
I'm lookin' at you, Hoka. :waits: :lol:

farrellgirl99

#25 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:46 pm

chaos wrote:Rep Todd Akin is a member of the United States House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. :scared: Another scary tidbit: He has been re-elected to the House five times. Who are these voters? I hope these people do not vote him into the Senate.
Scary. I imagine if you look into the backgrounds of all congressmen and women there would be some flat out terrifying things.

I feel like this has been a very bad year for women's health and rights in politics. It seems nearly every day there is another terrible comment made.