Bush and Chaney convicted of war crimes (in Malaysia)

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Larry B.

Bush and Chaney convicted of war crimes (in Malaysia)

#1 Post by Larry B. » Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 am

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/13 ... ar-crimes/
Former President Bush, Former Vice-President Dick Cheney, Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and the legal advisers Alberto Gonzales, David Addington, William Haynes, Jay Bybee and John Yoo that crafted the legal ‘justification’ for torture that basically said, ‘we can if we want to even if it’s illegal’ were the defendants. None were present, of course, but international war crime trials do not require the presence of the accused. The trial was run according to the standards set by the Nuremberg Trials to convict war criminals after World War II.

(...)

The hope is that other countries will hold trials of their own and the guilty verdicts will mount up. This is not that outlandish an idea as Bush and Cheney have not only brazenly admitted they authorized torture in direct contravention of the Geneva Convention, but bragged about it. Nothing more helpful than having a criminal do all the heavy lifting for the prosecution. If enough of these verdicts are passed on to the international courts, they will have no choice but to hold a trial of their own. While Bush won’t be arrested on American soil, he’ll have a very difficult time leaving the country. Already he’s canceled a trip to Switzerland, due to possible charges of war crimes.
Maybe useless, but good. Fuck and kill all those guys.

Hype

Re: Bush and Chaney convicted of war crimes (in Malaysia)

#2 Post by Hype » Mon May 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Yeah, and it's pretty stupid for an ass-backward country like Malaysia to tell anyone else they're doing wrong. Malaysia still restricts access to basic information for its citizens and punishes apostasy severely. This is the equivalent of Iran calling Bush a terrorist. :eyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of ... _state_law

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Mon May 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Yeah, and it's pretty stupid for an ass-backward country like Malaysia to tell anyone else they're doing wrong. Malaysia still restricts access to basic information for its citizens and punishes apostasy severely. This is the equivalent of Iran calling Bush a terrorist. :eyes:

And that's equivalent of the US' calling Iran, Irak or Afghanistan a terrorist nation :noclue:

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Mon May 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Yeah, and it's pretty stupid for an ass-backward country like Malaysia to tell anyone else they're doing wrong. Malaysia still restricts access to basic information for its citizens and punishes apostasy severely. This is the equivalent of Iran calling Bush a terrorist. :eyes:

And that's equivalent of the US' calling Iran, Irak or Afghanistan a terrorist nation :noclue:
No it isn't...

SR

#5 Post by SR » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

But, it doesn't mean they were wrong. Perhaps their evidence sucked, but I agree with the conclusion. Unfortunately, I don't need Malaysia to tell me this though.

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 pm

SR wrote:

But, it doesn't mean they were wrong. Perhaps their evidence sucked, but I agree with the conclusion. Unfortunately, I don't need Malaysia to tell me this though.
You're right, but it does constrain their credibility in the absence of public evidence. And if the evidence is public then who gives a shit if Malaysia has anything to say about it?

SR

#7 Post by SR » Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:

You're right, but it does constrain their credibility in the absence of public evidence. And if the evidence is public then who gives a shit if Malaysia has anything to say about it?
Well, I think it enhances their credibility if the evidence was public. Perhaps it's demonstrates their newly discovered and deep sensitivity to issues concerning fair treatment, rule of law, representative democracy, minority right, and justice? :agree:

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Thu May 17, 2012 9:25 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:

Well, I think it enhances their credibility if the evidence was public. Perhaps it's demonstrates their newly discovered and deep sensitivity to issues concerning fair treatment, rule of law, representative democracy, minority right, and justice? :agree:
I would think that that would only be demonstrated by Malaysia actually holding to those principles generally. Otherwise, it seem to more likely indicate opportunism.

SR

#9 Post by SR » Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:

I would think that that would only be demonstrated by Malaysia actually holding to those principles generally. Otherwise, it seem to more likely indicate opportunism.
I was kidding. :sulk:

Hype

#10 Post by Hype » Thu May 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Yeah well I was drinking... :lol:

SR

#11 Post by SR » Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Yeah well I was drinking... :lol:
I just had a handful of M&M's and a Malaysian Kool-Aid. :wave:

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Thu May 17, 2012 9:35 pm

dali

#13 Post by dali » Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Bush and Chaney convicted of war crimes (in Malaysia), that's like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500

Bonus points to whoever gets the reference without googling it.

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 pm

I think its Apocalypse Now but I might be wrong but I know its a war movie.

dali

#15 Post by dali » Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Juana wrote:I think its Apocalypse Now but I might be wrong but I know its a war movie.
winner, winner

bonus points for you (whatever that means)