Presidential Debate(s)

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Presidential Debate(s)

#451 Post by Hype » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.
I find that last clause really interesting. If you were born and raised to the age of 13 years and 364 days in the United States, and then moved elsewhere, you'd be ineligible to run? Or would it be cumulative so you could be eligible if you return and pass 14 total years? That means you could be born on American soil, live in Mexico or Canada your whole life, then at, say, 50, return to the US, live there for 14 years, and be eligible, but someone who moves there as an infant and spent their whole life as an American citizen but happened to be born elsewhere isn't? So strange.

Pure Method

#452 Post by Pure Method » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:53 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.
I find that last clause really interesting. If you were born and raised to the age of 13 years and 364 days in the United States, and then moved elsewhere, you'd be ineligible to run? Or would it be cumulative so you could be eligible if you return and pass 14 total years? That means you could be born on American soil, live in Mexico or Canada your whole life, then at, say, 50, return to the US, live there for 14 years, and be eligible, but someone who moves there as an infant and spent their whole life as an American citizen but happened to be born elsewhere isn't? So strange.

Correct.

Pandemonium

#453 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:54 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Well, frankly, I probably wouldn't have this kind of discussion with most people in person. But when something is written, it's easy enough to quote it and basically say "What the fuck?!" After all, you and Pandemonium did decide to take a particular side on the issue of questioning the President's birth certificate.
Speaking only for myself, I wasn't "taking a side," merely stating a fact, the circumstances which I thought I explained simply enough for a child to understand in a previously reply. You're either trolling or being willfully stupid at this point.

Hype

#454 Post by Hype » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:58 am

Pure Method wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Correct.
The Prime Minister of Canada can be any citizen of Canada over the age of 18. In practice there are some subtle restrictions, but nothing as weird as "Over 35, +14 years residence, + born in the country" :confused:

Pure Method

#455 Post by Pure Method » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 pm

We don't want any foreign born Manchurian candidate delivering us right back to the Brits.

Hype

#456 Post by Hype » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Pure Method wrote:We don't want any foreign born Manchurian candidate delivering us right back to the Brits.
So an American-born candidate who has spent more of their life in Britain than in the US is somehow less likely to do that? :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/opini ... wanted=all

:rockon:

ellis

#457 Post by ellis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
If I understand it correctly, a natural born citizen is only eligible to run for president so long as he/she has lived in the U.S. 14 consecutive years prior to the election they're running in. One could be born in the U.S., move out of the country immediately, return later as a permanent resident, but would not be eligible until the first day of the 15th year.

Also, I'd imagine that military personnel overseas are probably exempt to this rule. I couldn't say for sure though.

farrellgirl99

#458 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Shockingly, the nyt has endorsed obama :hehe: anyway, there's nothing new in it, but i think its a good editorial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/opini ... wanted=all

i think the idea of romney appointing two conservative supreme court justices is what scares me the most.

Juana

#459 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm

ellis wrote:
Juana wrote: BTW I did vote for Jill,
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Thank you!!! :wiggle:
Haha well my vote is wasted in my state just wanted some 3rd party love. Obama is going to carry CA, and TX is going to carry Romney outside of Travis and Hays counties.

clickie

#460 Post by clickie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:35 am

you guys wouldn't believe how many romney signs are up in my neighborhood, it makes me wanna puke in my shorts.

ellis

#461 Post by ellis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:40 am

Juana wrote:
ellis wrote:
Juana wrote: BTW I did vote for Jill,
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Thank you!!! :wiggle:
Haha well my vote is wasted in my state just wanted some 3rd party love. Obama is going to carry CA, and TX is going to carry Romney outside of Travis and Hays counties.
The only wasted vote is one that is not cast. :cool:

tvrec

#462 Post by tvrec » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 am

No one ever asked to see my birth certificate...

Pandemonium

#463 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm

tvrec wrote:No one ever asked to see my birth certificate...
Heh, his tax returns, that's another story.

8 more days of this then Romney is a footnote.

clickie

#464 Post by clickie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Some dude just came to my door and gave me a little pamphlet called "Vote early"...he also handed me a sweet Obama magnet to put on my car. I'm gonna put it on the Caddy..

nausearockpig

#465 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 pm

clickie wrote:...it makes me wanna puke in my shorts.
Lol.. I think that's known as "shitting"...

ellis

#466 Post by ellis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 pm

tvrec

#467 Post by tvrec » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Reasons to Vote Blue, in addition to being made in America, of course...

http://90days90reasons.com/index.php

farrellgirl99

#468 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Bloomberg has endorsed Obama. Could be a nice little boost for Bam.

Can't believe the election is Tuesday. This week has been so weird, I hardly know what day it is anymore.

Juana

#469 Post by Juana » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm

ellis

#470 Post by ellis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:23 am

The economy didn't just crash under a Republican president, it crashed under Republican policies. It crashed with low taxes. It crashed with deregulated markets. It crashed with huge restrictions on union activity. It crashed with massive cuts in environmental regulations. It crashed with lowered trade barriers. It crashed with big fat Pentagon spending.

They got what they wanted. They got CEOs with no limits on their wealth. They got banks with no limits on their "creativity." They got trade agreements that guaranteed manufacturing could be moved to the dirtiest, cheapest, most desperate source available. They got massive cuts in capital gains taxes and equally large boosts in the wealth they could pass along in estates. They got everything they said would make us all wealthy. They got record oil and gas drilling. They got record giveaways of public land. They got everything they said would create jobs. They got the middle class to shoulder more, more, more of the burden so that those beautiful job creators would be free to work their magic.

They can't say the economy crashed because taxes went up, because they didn't. They can't say that the economy crashed because there was a raft of new regulation, because there wasn't. They can't blame it on "union thugs" or Saul Alinsky or the guy who writes Happy Holidays cards at Hallmark. They can't blame it on a president who was elected when the world was already in free fall. Only, of course they do. They say it because they have no choice.

For the same reason that they have to maintain that global warming is the creation of a conspiracy of scientists, and that evolution is a conspiracy of other scientists, and that gay marriage is a threat to "traditional" marriage. They have to lie about the threat of illegal immigrants. Lie about the state of the national debt. Lie about the effects of the President's health care plan. They have to lie, because lies are all they have left.

They certainly can't admit the truth about the economy. They can't admit that they did it. Own it. That their policies directly caused the worst economic failure in American history. Strike that. Make it "the greatest failure in American history since the last time that these same policies were tried." But then, they've been lying about that bit of history for years.

The truth is that the Republicans have nothing to offer. Not even anything that looks like a governing philosophy. Conservatism has moved out of the ranks of political theories and simply become a cult; one that requires that certain phrases be mouthed, that certain hatreds be nourished, and that purity be maintained regardless of cost. That schism with reality is increasingly large and increasingly obvious. They try to paper over that gap by dismissing little things like science, reason, history. Real science fails to support their contentions, so they have to write it off. Reason doesn't work for them, so any question must be met with red-faced indignity — every question a gotcha question. Real history is full of warts, quirks, and unfortunate truths that don't fit their ritualized beliefs. So they have to try to rewrite history, giving us rewrite Reagan who never raised a tax or increased a debt, rewrite FDR who created the issues he actually solved, rewrite Lincoln who championed the Confederate cause, rewrite founding fathers who never owned slaves, never supported government regulation of the economy, never wavered in their ardent love for a form of religiosity that didn't yet exist. Tricorner hats are the new tinfoil.

The real danger isn't that someone might listen to the Republicans—anyone who lies long enough and loud enough can always find an audience, especially when that someone has three quarters of the television media and ninety+ percent of radio. The danger is that we might forget that they're lying. Too often Democrats, including this president, have felt that the best way to handle Republican fantasies is to compromise with them. You can't compromise reality, no matter how loud the lies.

Pandemonium

#471 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:54 pm

I gotta say, I'm no fan of the UAW having working under their union in two different companies for about a decade total. Needless to say, I take what they bitch about with a grain of salt.

Hype

#472 Post by Hype » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Nothing I can type can express just how painfully stupid the people in that video are.

farrellgirl99

#473 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Nothing I can type can express just how painfully stupid the people in that video are.
i made it to the bro in the A & F shirt. two minutes ill never get back.

Artemis

#474 Post by Artemis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:18 pm

That was a frightening video. Especially the endorsement from Meatloaf. :crazy: :lol:

Artemis

#475 Post by Artemis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:20 pm

I found this funny...