Re: Mar 19 - Minneapolis

#3 Post by chaos » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:34 am

http://blog.thecurrent.org/post/2012/03 ... gural-show
Review
The Brick hosts Jane's Addiction at overcrowded inaugural show
AEG-owned venue up against sightline and capacity challenges
1:36 AM - March 20, 2012 - Andrea Swensson

Jane's Addiction

The pioneering alternative rock band filled Minneapolis venue The Brick for its first show.

A few hiccups were to be expected, of course, as the club opened its doors to the public for the first time, but The Brick's opening night faced an overwhelmingly negative response from Jane's Addiction fans who vented their discontent on Twitter and Facebook, loudly complained about their experience in the crowd, and demanded refunds from the ticket counter as they gave up entirely and left the show.

You know it's bad when even the band starts bantering about the quality of the concert experience from stage.

"You're going to have a f***ing riot on your hands," Jane's Addiction lead singer Perry Farrell scoffed just three songs into his band's 90-minute set at The Brick's inaugural show. Farrell was distracted by a team of security that had been positioned on the balcony directly above stage left who were flickering flashlights and aggressively trying to usher concertgoers through a bottleneck in front of one of the venue's only bathrooms, and continued commenting on the dissatisfaction of the crowd several times throughout the night.

Issues started arising as soon as people arrived. A line snaked down 5th St. and around the corner onto 2nd Ave., at times stretching all the way to the Target Center as the venue funneled people one by one into the building. But the line moved fairly quickly, and personnel worked efficiently to check IDs, distribute wristbands, and do a security pat-down before fans had even gotten to the entrance of the building; most of the grumbling outside was due to the fact that the rain made the experience seem extra miserable.

Once inside, more problems were immediately obvious. Those who were on the main floor directly in front of the stage or in the first row of any of the balconies or behind any of the railings could see the stage, but everyone else was out of luck. The crowd was so thick that it was nearly impossible to navigate between the levels or get to one of the few places with a sightline. And despite the fact that there were beer stands every 20 feet and barely any lines at the back bars, it was so hard to move around the room that the concept of getting a good spot, grabbing a drink, and successfully making a trip to the bathroom and back seemed downright impossible.

The building technically stayed within its capacity throughout the show -- a fact ensured by the police officers and fire inspector sent to keep tabs on the proceedings -- but simple math points to a few obvious dilemmas for this night and future events at the club.

According to the City of Minneapolis, the capacity of The Brick is officially 2,001 people. The venue is three levels, and the breakdown of the rooms' capacities are as follows: 825 on the main floor, 776 in the balcony, and 400 in the basement. Now I'm no mathmatician, but my estimation is that about 60-70% of the main floor had a decent sightline last night, while only about 10% of the upper level could see the stage and the basement had small televisions and no audio; I'd wager that less than half of the customers who paid $65 to help sell out the Jane's Addiction show caught a glimpse of Perry Farrell as he stalked the stage. No wonder most people I wiggled past in the crowd seemed disgruntled.

"The owners are fully aware of this situation," said Tom Deegan, who works with fire inspectors for the City of Minneapolis. Deegan told me earlier in the day that his offices had been notified of the potential overcrowding at The Brick and had already stationed an inspector on the scene to monitor the capacity. "We can't control how many tickets they sell; we can only control whether they comply with the capacity," he said.

He went on to stress that "it is incumbent on the owners to control the crowd," which The Brick was obviously attempting to do last night as security personnel eagerly ushered people up and down the club's only public staircase and tried to control the long lines outside the balcony and basement bathrooms. But Deegan says that, "our objective is to have the venue remain compliant and safe, and the inspector has full authority to do whatever is needed to make sure the venue is compliant," meaning that the venue may not always get away with pushing its rooms so uncomfortably over their capacities.

The silver lining for The Brick? The room has an incredible sound system and a decent ambiance. Honestly, if they had sold about 750 fewer tickets it could have been a really enjoyable experience, and once Farrell overcame his frustration the band put on an engaging show. But with the way the room is laid out and the way the club is pushing its space limitations, it made for an all-around unpleasant and unmanageable crowd experience.

"We know we need to make some changes," said AEG senior vice president Joe Litvag, who sat somberly in the basement bar for the later part of the night. He squinted at a tiny television monitor that displayed Jane's Addiction as they bounded around on stage, the sound barely audible from upstairs. "We definitely need to change some things after tonight. What do you think, are Minneapolis music fans a forgiving bunch?"

Everybody's Friend

#4 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 am

Yeah, venue issues for sure.

I got up at the front, so no complaints from me, though.

Enjoyed it very much! :rockon:

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

i've been in venues like that. corners, poles, multi-levels around the stage. first 2 rows see everything, the thousands of people behind them get nothing.

The venue always blames something other than the fact that they shouldn't be selling more than 300 tickets. After everyone is pissed off and hits the bars though, the venue doesn't care.

a stressed customer buys more alcohol.

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 pm

[url]ttp://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/143909326.html[/url]
The Brick to give full refunds for Jane's Addiction show; here's club's e-mail
Posted by: Jon Bream Updated: March 22, 2012 - 9:14 PM

You might have heard or read about the complaints about Monday's opening night at the new Brick nightclub (Star Tribune report or see the new site www.thebrickmnsucks.com ).Here is how the Brick responded via e-mail Thursday night to the 2,000 concertgoers.

To our customers who attended Jane’s Addiction at The Brick on March 19:

We owe you an apology for the issues you encountered during the show. Live music experiences represent some of the greatest moments of our lives and, this was obviously not one of ours. Our goal in bringing a new music venue to the Twin Cities was to provide fans with the best possible concert experience, and despite a thundering performance from Jane’s Addiction, we know we were unable to achieve this greatness on Monday night.

We have an obligation to make this right for our customers, which is why we are offering all Jane’s Addiction ticket holders the choice of a refund, including service fees, or tickets to an upcoming show of their choice (based on availability).
We are listening to your comments and feedback and are committed to making the necessary changes at The Brick to ensure that your next concert experience will be much more enjoyable.

To receive your refund or tickets to an upcoming show, please e-mail a copy of your ticket(s) and confirmation to customerservice@thebrickmn.com. Or you may physically mail a copy to:

The Brick
Attn: Customer Service
111 5th Street North
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Please indicate your choice of refund, or the name of the upcoming show you’d like to attend.

Please feel free to contact me directly at BrickGM@thebrickmn.com with any comments, questions or suggestions about your experience at The Brick. We acknowledge that we have a long way to go to earn back your business and are committed to regaining your trust.
Sincerely,

Jeff Kehr / General Manager/ The Brick
BrickGM@thebrickmn.com

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 pm

that's really generous of them. maybe too generous. i think people would have been happy with a 50% refund.

chaos

#8 Post by chaos » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Perry spends a little over a minute asking the agitated crowd to chill out so everyone could enjoy the show; it worked - the crowd seems into it.

Everybody's Friend

#9 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:19 am

Wow, free show for EF.... :banana:

Chaos, were you there too?

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 am

creep wrote:that's really generous of them. maybe too generous. i think people would have been happy with a 50% refund.
I appreciate it when a company offers a complete refund when they screw up like this. Is the only way to properly clear a bad image. 50% is ok, but I wouldn't go back anyway. A 100% refund would bring me back to the venue.

It's just like any product: if I buy a ball shaver and it gives me an electric shock when I plug it in and then zaps my balls before failing completely, I wouldn't want a 50% refund. I want my fucking money back.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:20 am

Too bad for people that don't keep their tickets.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 am

chaos wrote:Perry spends a little over a minute asking the agitated crowd to chill out so everyone could enjoy the show; it worked - the crowd seems into it.

That's pretty great. I am starting to really wish I could see another show on this tour. That's a huge leap from not knowing if I was going to see the one down the street from me.

If Eric was on this tour I would bet most people would be saying it was the best tour since the original line up.

They seem to really be getting back in the groove and doing what they do best.

chaos

#13 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:Wow, free show for EF.... :banana:

Chaos, were you there too?
No. I live in Boston.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 am

hokahey wrote:
That's pretty great. I am starting to really wish I could see another show on this tour. That's a huge leap from not knowing if I was going to see the one down the street from me.

If Eric was on this tour I would bet most people would be saying it was the best tour since the original line up.

They seem to really be getting back in the groove and doing what they do best.[/quote]

That's the Perry I used to know back when the band brought an element of unpredictability and danger to a show. Pointed comments, aware of whats going on in the crowd and best of all, pissed off at something. And his bit perfectly leads into BCS.

Everybody's Friend

#15 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 am

Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:

They seem to really be getting back in the groove and doing what they do best.
That's the Perry I used to know back when the band brought an element of unpredictability and danger to a show. Pointed comments, aware of whats going on in the crowd and best of all, pissed off at something. And his bit perfectly leads into BCS.[/quote]

It was a pretty great show...that was probably the best moment...he berated security again after BCS as well...something like "Hey, you with the flashlight...just chill out and let the people see...I PROMISE you won't lose your jobs...just chill the fuck out." Then he talks to the people on the balcony "Hey, you're not going to jump down on Mr. Perkins are you?" Everyone "NOOOOO" Perry: "OK, then, see, everybody's going to be OK....."

It was pretty awesome. :thumb:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 am

And for as much flack as he gets when he dresses like an idiot, his outfits have been awesome this tour. Love the gloves too. They're doing just about everything right this tour.

bman

#17 Post by bman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:58 am

This tour has been great so far. I hope for a Pacific Northwest Run too.

tripaway

#18 Post by tripaway » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

hahaha "we didn't come to fucking rage, ravage, and rape..... except for dave, he likes to rape, a little"

pentwaterzoo

#19 Post by pentwaterzoo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 pm

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 pm

pentwaterzoo wrote:the audio's up on dime

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=398975
somewhat funny setlist from the taper
1. Underground
2. Mountain Song
3. Just Because
4. Ain't No Right
5. Ted, Just Admit It
6. Perry Disappointed In The Brick
7. Twisted Tales
8. Perry Doesn't Like The Brick Either
9. Been Caught Stealing
10. Perry Realizes There Are Lots Of Douchebags In The Brick
11. Classic Girl
12. Three Days
13. Irresistible Force
14. Stop
15. Words Right Out Of My Mouth
16. Ocean
17. Encore Break
18. Jane Says

Everybody's Friend

#21 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 am

Could someone please please plesae plesase please upload as high quality mp3, please pleae?

:love:

:rockon:

what is the quality like???

:boobs:

Everybody's Friend

#22 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:02 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:Could someone please please plesae plesase please upload as high quality mp3, please pleae?

:love:

:rockon:

what is the quality like???

Or FLAC?

Preferably flac? Would kill for lossless...please please please. :bday:

Thank someone in advance!